Talkback: Kinder 80 Launch In Pictures

13 messages
24/04/2012 at 17:55
"Local school children dragged the average age down somewhat, but it was hard not to notice that the audience and speakers as a whole verged on the senior end of the age range. Perhaps not surprising, but slightly concerning never the less."

Perhaps having the launch event at the weekend, when those of us in between childhood and retirement are less likely to be at work, would have given a better spread of ages? Not sure it really is something to be overly concerned about...
25/04/2012 at 11:15
Yes, you're part right, I think, the timing was less than ideal. Also it was an invitation event rather than a public one, but it does say something about the upper echelons of the various outdoor organisations that most of the younger people there were working for the media.

Was chatting about it all with outdoors journalist Ed Douglas and his take, which I tend to agree with, is that the modern equivalent of the Kinder Trespassers are the environmental and anti-capitalist campaigners. That's not to decry the work of the Ramblers or the BMC, who do a great job on our behalf - contrast, say, mountain bikers who have no effective national representation.

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

26/04/2012 at 10:55
<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]-->

TR: Wednesday 25 April 2012 Trespass - Kinder 80 'From Both Sides Now'

We should have been arrested! Or perhaps sectioned!! The weather was pretty poor (I'd say disgusting, but don't want to appear to be a wuss). Windy; rain turned to hail, turned to horizontal sleet and then could plausibly be called snow (though not for long).

Skip & I had registered for this some weeks ago. Poor Paddy merely let slip that he'd be in Buxton yesterday morning, so we simply swept him up into the plan over a mug of coffee. (He was intending to go down to Ashbourne and walk some trails from there before the Backpackers AGM at Ashford in the Water, this weekend).

We went up from the Edale side (as did the Sheffield contingent of the original trespassers), with 30-odd other motivated folks.  A similar number came up from the Hayfield side, meeting at Edale Cross. We weren't shepherded onto the plateau as the Rangers didn't want to take any risks - personally, I'd have enjoyed the irony of the 'trespassers' demanding to be allowed down

(more...)

Edited: 26/04/2012 at 10:56
26/04/2012 at 10:59

From Skip, yesterday:

That bastard Skip wrote (see)

Cor! It rained a bit today, dinnit?

Milly, Paddy and I went to see the preciptatory meteorological phenomenon at close quarters today on the flanks of Kinder Scout. We joined an organised walk from Edale as part of the Trespass 80 anniversary thingie.

I'm not long home from the walk and now I'm steaming gently in front of the fire like an old wet dog (I probably smell as damp and musty too).

The good news is that my newly-purchased Haglof jacket was successful in keeping me dry (except around my neck). It's passed its baptism 

The not-so-good news is that I'm not cut out for 'led' walks with large groups. I think of myself as a bit of a plodder, a slowcoach, especially on the steep stuff - but today I discovered that there are plenty slower! The group seemed to spend a lot - I mean a lot - of time standing still, regrouping, awaiting stragglers or just trudging along very slowly.

It wasn't a cold day, just wet, and I was warm when walking at my usual steady pace. But I'm not used to standing still in the rain and I got uncomfortably chilled during the protracted stops and when moving at such a slow pace.

So lesson learned - 'Ramblers' type walks are not my thing.  However, I've always liked walking with little groups of three-to-six of my mates and, more recently, I've really enjoyed the walks I've done on OM  meets. So those will continue, of course.

Anyways, we didn't even get right up onto the plateau today. When the rain turned sleety and the wind became near-horizontal, the Park Rangers started herding us back down. But after yet more dawdling and standing, Milly declared UDI and she, Paddy and I strode ahead of the main group - not sure whether that was because we were quicker  or whether we were just more desperate to get off the hill and into the cafe.

All in all, though, a good day if a tad short at about five or six miles.

<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\ {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]-->

The folks out yesterday were pretty chatty, but they weren't all Ramblers, per se.  I talked to a diverse variety of folks, including a guy who teaches circus skills and a civil engineer/building development manager from Kent, who'd taken a few days off work to attend a panapoly of Kinder 80 activities.

I'm not convinced that we did much to reduce the average age of the participants Though we did our bit to increase the average pace...

Today, Paddy is now suitably dessicated and walking to his original plan, but at double quick pace
Edited: 26/04/2012 at 10:59
26/04/2012 at 13:20

I tend to agree with Beaker and Jon that if events are staged midweek many people below retirement age will be at work.

Milly. wrote (see)

I'm not convinced that we did much to reduce the average age of the participants ....

In my case, I probably raised it by a fair few years

Milly. wrote (see)
Though we did our bit to increase the average pace... 

Well, we certainly tried to! OM-ers formed the vanguard both uphill and down.

Given the rather dispiriting weather there was distinct absence of revolutionary fervour and radicalism in evidence. No-one sung The Internationale (although I quietly hummed a few bars of The Red Flag to bring a smidgin of historical perspective to the event)

Marchons, citoyens!

28/04/2012 at 11:59
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/witness (Friday 27th April)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2vlsaPCVn1qz4jbro1_500.jpg

Edited: 28/04/2012 at 12:02
29/04/2012 at 15:20

Yes... Paddy was well and truly hi-jacked for that commemoration!

Now that he's back at home, he's struggling to recall whether he EVER wore a full set of waterproofs for FIVE DAYS, anywhere in the world, ever before!

(It's still raining, by the way)

29/04/2012 at 18:53
Well done to those attending. I've chickened out of doing anything outdoors except test my 2nd hand paramo jacket bought of @bay by walking the dog.
30/04/2012 at 22:41

OK... finally uploaded a movie clip of the walk that Milly dragged me along to... climbing from Edale to Edale Cross. It wasn't easy keeping the camera steady with one hand, while protecting it with an umbrella in the other hand, while being buffetted by the wind. However, I think you'll get the general idea of what it was like. What you can't feel is the cold, and while you can hear the rain and wind, there was also hail, sleet and snow. I gave up with the camera in the end, and afterwards it needed a really good airing!

30/04/2012 at 22:43
Edited to say... OM didn't appear to be able to cope with the above embedding... but it's gone through anyway despite the error message I got beforehand.
Edited: 30/04/2012 at 22:45
30/04/2012 at 22:55
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)

Milly dragged me along

No change there then!
01/05/2012 at 08:44
If the weather had been like that in 1932, there might not have been a Mass Trespass!
01/05/2012 at 09:22
G ronk wrote (see)
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)

Milly dragged me along

No change there then!
G! It seems I'm truly cruel and heartless - a veritable Millysawitch
Neat video Paddy, it summarises the delightful experience rather accurately
Your say
email image
13 messages