Talkback: Mountains For The Bank Holiday Weekend?

1 to 20 of 26 messages
21/04/2011 at 09:58
Add your own suggestions for places to go and aviod, top routes and more and we'll add them to the article for the general good. In the mean time, bring on the Bank Holiday long weekends and have a good one. Or two...

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

21/04/2011 at 12:14
Yorkshire Dales - Gear shopping at Bernies, Inglesport or Daleswear in ingleton.
21/04/2011 at 13:17
Lakes - Bilbo's cafe, Ambleside. It serves good value food, cakes and drinks and its above a running / climbing gear shop! So what's not to like about that.

Or Adventure Peaks larger shop on road south out of Ambleside has a gear shop, climbing wall and cafe overlooking the wall. Not bad allround.

Howgills is quiet. Try the route from Sedbergh over Arant Haw (sp.) to the Calf and down the side of Cautley Spout. Back along the river in the valley. Sedbergh is selling itself as a booktown IIRC. They have a book festival thing on each year (or used to).
21/04/2011 at 13:21
Did a mini wander on Dartmoor... started Meldon Reservoir, then across to West Mill Tor, then to Yes Tor, High Wilhays, across to Fordsland Ledge, descend into valley to amazing Black-a-Tor Copse (across the river up the slope is the remains of B52 crash site from WW2), then along valley (boggy at times on eastern side, back along path (we usually avoid paths at all costs LOL!) around Meldon Resevoir (or alternately ascend up towards Homerton Hill and come down the little river/waterfall back towards Meldon... OK, it's not exactly Everest but a nice little wander.. Obviously check Dartmoor Firing first! I'll post some images of the crash site if anyone's interested..
Edited: 21/04/2011 at 13:25
21/04/2011 at 13:30
There is a nice memorial cairn and plaque on Grey Friars in the Lakes for a Canadian bomber aircrew. I found it quite poignant when I saw it early last November. The oldest was 21 but most were 18 or 19. All but one, IIRC, was either a flight sargeant or higher (flt Lt). I think one of the 18 year olds was a Flt Sgt. Doubt you'd get that nowadays that young.
21/04/2011 at 14:01

Now come on, lets try a bit harder Even the howgills won't be abandoned and Ambleside surely going to be rather annoying.

Some of the open access land in Bowland (Burn moor say) perhaps.  Sundry North pennine places liable to be utterly abandoned, or Mallerstang slightly further S. Huge swathes of southern uplands in Scotland, a lot of stuff in far southern Snowdonia rather more obscure than Cadair still well worth it etc etc. 

21/04/2011 at 14:34
I generally avoid the holiday seasons, preferring to travel and walk in the quiet seasons. I've started attacking the garden (or jungle), but now my green recycling bin is brim full!
21/04/2011 at 15:45

Well tonight I'm looking for a good camp spot above Borrowdale somewhere I can get to quickly as I will be up there late. Then a nice wander around and home friday night. With luck before the hordes arrive properly. Then off to family saturday and back to a more quiet part of Lakes Sunday and again Monday. That way I think I will miss the hordes but still get a bit in the popular areas.

Paddy - most of us can't do that. Go out at the quiet times. Guess you have to be self employed, retired or lucky for that. Must admit it is starting to grate when my parents tell me they have only pottered around the house on the weekends because its too busy then but they do stuff in the week instead.

21/04/2011 at 15:54

One area to avoid is the south-eastern section of Forest Fawr

If you're in the Beacons, head for the Black Mountain (Mynydd Du) in the western part of the National Park.

21/04/2011 at 16:05
Lost in Lancashire... It's just a matter of organising your time to the best advantage. In my case, I work as Santa Clause for the big-name stores, but I always make sure that they understand that I take the whole of November and December each year as holidays.
21/04/2011 at 19:27
Metric Kate wrote (see)

One area to avoid is the south-eastern section of Forest Fawr

If you're in the Beacons, head for the Black Mountain (Mynydd Du) in the western part of the National Park.

or go to the eastern part of the Beacons (Black Mountains) instead

I am heading for Plynlimon next weekend

21/04/2011 at 21:11
indeed, i'm off to the vale of ewyas for two nights, near llantony, lovely spot and usually fairly quiet! the beacons best kept secret in places (well, it was, anyway!)
21/04/2011 at 21:35

Good choice V-H

still fairly quiet

for the discerning amongst us

21/04/2011 at 22:56
Have to say, mid Wales (Elan Valley or Pumlumon) would be perfect targets this BH, it's been so dry here recently that they'll be far nicer walking than usual, mid Wales being exceedingly boggy normally!
21/04/2011 at 23:15
I am hoping the dry weather continues for next weeks jaunt to mid wales Kate
22/04/2011 at 12:27
I did a circular walk with my younger brother across Graig Fan Las, Craig Cwareli, Fan y Big, Cribyn, Pen y Fan, Corn Du, Craig Gwaun Taf and Graig Fan Ddu in the Brecon Beacons on Tuesday. It was quite busy enough, even then, over Pen y Fan and Corn Du.

Witnessed another fire across the valley from Aberdare on Monday evening.
22/04/2011 at 16:57
one or 2 malicious fires being started around the Brecon Beacons and surrounding areas at the mo.....
22/04/2011 at 17:07
Imperial Dave wrote (see)
one or 2 malicious fires being started around the Brecon Beacons and surrounding areas at the mo.....

Stayed out of the sun, like every bald Englishman should.

22/04/2011 at 19:55
or get a knotted hanky
24/04/2011 at 10:07
@Kate; never been up the Black Mountain, any good routes?
1 to 20 of 26 messages