Talkback: Petzl's Stunning New Headtorch

15 messages
19/01/2012 at 15:49
The most interesting headtorch we've seen for a long while. Apparently Petzl says it is its most significant new product for several years and while it's not cheap, it looks properly innovative and 355 Petzl lumens mean it should also be seriously bright enough for pretty much any general outdoors use, particularly night running on rough terrain.

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

19/01/2012 at 16:29
It might be high tech, but £135 for a head torch is a lot of money, especially when cheaper models will do a similar job. I know it has features that cheaper ones lack and it seems very well designed, but I won't be buying one yet!
19/01/2012 at 17:07
More than I really need from a head torch, but the price doesn't look that silly to me if you will make use of the power and features. And, let's face it, it will soon be on offer at well below that price.
19/01/2012 at 17:45

I'm not a great fan of product-specific rechargeable batteries in outdoor products - it rather implies a design focussed on users with a home base to return to rather than those on multi-day trips or most forms of camping. Being able to slot in a couple of AAAs "in emergency" is better than nothing, but I can't imagine you'd get those 335 lumens for long off those.

Anyway, it still looks like a pretty good product for some uses, at a price. What's the weight, please, Jon?

19/01/2012 at 17:52

This would go well with the Power Rangers fleece.

As it is expensive, it will probably appeal to some folk.

19/01/2012 at 18:01

If it adapts to suit your needs then it'll be fantastic - I'm having terrible trouble keeping sight of the Wee Black Dug's frisbee these pitch dark mornings down the park.

Money well spent if it passes that test.

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."

20/01/2012 at 10:25

I;'ll be very interested in how this turns out in the end. It sounds like a great product! Looking down at your map or your hands and getting blinded is a pain and happens way too frequently for me so I ll be seriously thinking about getting one.

Jon, are you likely to get one for review?

20/01/2012 at 13:30
Not trying to be funny but its a lot of money for a torch without a red light, plus what happens when the senser goes on the blink (as all things like that will do).
Looks nice, but i reckon if i was intrested in it i'd wait for a while to see how it preforms in real world use by normal people.
20/01/2012 at 14:01

From what I understand you can also switch it on and off as you want. The reactive mode is only one function. Its not the only way it can operate... but I agree. It will be good to hear how it works in real life.

20/01/2012 at 14:11
Jon Doran wrote (see)
Apparently Petzl says it is its most significant new product for several years...

well they would, wouldn't they?
20/01/2012 at 14:28
Explorer wrote (see)
It might be high tech, but £135 for a head torch is a lot of money, especially when cheaper models will do a similar job. I know it has features that cheaper ones lack and it seems very well designed, but I won't be buying one yet!

Prices will drop and the technology will trickle down. Blessed are the early adopters, because they are the providers of fancy second hand toys this time next year.

Matt C wrote (see)

I'm not a great fan of product-specific rechargeable batteries in outdoor products - it rather implies a design focussed on users with a home base

Yeah, this has always been a dealbreaker for me, but it seems increasingly popular
23/01/2012 at 17:57
Matt C wrote (see)

What's the weight, please, Jon?

According to the video, it's 187g Matt.
23/01/2012 at 20:15
Ah, thanks MM.  Hmm, quite portly
06/02/2012 at 07:29
Loads of new tech built in, but at the cost of 3x Lenser H7's (or 2 H7R's)?

Also, as mentioned about, is there a provision to be able to remove the rechargeable battery and chuck in some AA or AAA batteries while in the middle of nowhere?
Edited: 06/02/2012 at 07:32
07/02/2012 at 16:12
Pah! 2700 lumens from one of these beauties
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/SPIDER-EYES/IMG_1155.jpg

Your say
email image
15 messages