Talkback: Suunto Launches First GPS Watch

1 to 20 of 29 messages
31/01/2012 at 13:01
Do you have any info about weight or size? Or any images of it on a wrist for scale?
31/01/2012 at 13:05
I'd assume size is similar to the Vector, Altimax etc.  In other words, bleedin' huge.  Perhaps not as comfy as a normal watch but very good for making your I Am An Elite Mountain Athlete statement...
31/01/2012 at 13:10
Peter Clinch wrote (see)
very good for making your I Am An Elite Mountain Athlete statement...

I always assumed the best way to do that was to take a picture of yourself at the top of a nice eight-thousander.

Clearly I was being naive.

Now I think of it, you clearly have to be an Elite Mountain Athlete to use one of these things, in order to get somewhere interesting and back home again before the battery runs out.

31/01/2012 at 13:16
Don't have those images yet, but an educated guess is that it will be 'large' as most outdoorsy/altimeter/HRM watches are. Will try to clarify that one. I am an elite mountain bumbler...

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

31/01/2012 at 13:32
All it needs to do is give me grid reference and maybe height, I can get that from a sub £100 GPS, not sure what the benefits are especially as it does not take AA's :)
31/01/2012 at 14:54

The benefits, I guess, are that it fits on your wrist, you can use it to follow a route rather than just check a GR if that's what you want to do, it has barometric altimeter and also works as a pretty high-end HRM.

If you don't need/want those capabilities, it's a waste of money. If you do, then it's an alternative to the other units on the market.

I'm sure there's one out there, somewhere, but a simple GPS watch that would give me a spot GR and maybe altitude in a compact package would make sense to me. The thing with technology companies seems to be that they strive to add as many features as possible, when there's also a market for more streamlined stuff, I think.

31/01/2012 at 15:01

I always assumed the best way to do that was to take a picture of yourself at the top of a nice eight-thousander.Clearly I was being naive.

You can do that, as the likes of "The Machine" attest.  However, since he's done all the hard work you can be just like him with less sweat by wearing the same watch.  Or something.

31/01/2012 at 15:33
Actually all that functionality with a 50 hour battery life is great - i've got the garmin 405 and its got a battery life of about 9 hours, which is fine for marathons, days out on the bike or short climbs, but for an ultra marathon or a multiday hike or for a bounce up mont blanc its just not enough and the price isn't that much different either (assuming the euro price converts to gbp) - wonder if the software allows you to see your climb in a kind of 3d flyby?
31/01/2012 at 15:34
I thought Garmin already did GPS watches so how is this the first?
31/01/2012 at 15:35
Or am I thinking of other Suunto GPS watches?? I know there are some out there. Forerunner series for example!! Sure one of that range had GR output too.
31/01/2012 at 15:35
TP wrote (see)
I thought Garmin already did GPS watches so how is this the first?

thought it was the first suunto gps watch?
31/01/2012 at 15:46
TP are you thinking of the Foretrex 401?
31/01/2012 at 16:24

Ambuiguous, it was meant as Suunto's first GPS watch, but that's not strictly true either. The X10 had GPS capability, but the AMBIT is the first Suunto watch to combine GPS with all the other outdoorsy features it has, if that makes sense. I've changed the headline anyway.

31/01/2012 at 23:18

IIRC the 401 had HRM and gps. There was a boxy gps/hrm watch and a more watchlike one too IIRC.

However they were garmin and not suunto and as Jon pointed out it was Suunto's first one not THE first one ever!! A good piece for suunto  pre-review snippet on what looks a good piece of kit (if you feel the need for a gps in watch form and aren't happy with yourexistng HRM and separate GPS handheld. Back when I ran I nearly got a forerunner gps watch with hrm from garmin so I was nearly the sort of person who'd see a use for the two functions in one thing. now I think I'd rather have a HRM separate to a GPS in case I only needed one of the functions and also since you'd probably get more functionality from a dedicated GPS unit than from even the best of watch based GPS/HRM units.

31/01/2012 at 23:45
I already have a GPS watch in the Garmin forerunner 610 runners watch.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a Garmin GPS watch (various flavours) but my first and pretty huge concern is battery life. I doubt the 610 will last more than 5 hours between charges and thats before you add all of the mountain features of the Suunto.

I'll watch this with interest.
01/02/2012 at 05:44
I've used a Garmin Foretrex 401 for about three years and it does everything that I want of a GPS receiver. But then, I'm not interested in downloading maps into a receiver and prefer to use a paper map for a wider view of the landscape. What I like so much about the 401 is that I can just turn my wrist when I wish to confirm that I'm still following my route. Specially helpful when using poles.

Hugh
01/02/2012 at 07:34

Hi,

I've a 310XT Garmin - which gives a British Grid Reference, Heart Rate info, Altitude (not barometric) and a stonking claimed 20h battery (I've tested it out to 17 and there was still juice). 

It's also waterproof (designed for tri-athletes) so handles anything the weather here has thrown at it. 

It does most of what I want - and you can customise the set ups, so I have one for running, and one for walk giving different info.  So the walking one gives a bearing, altitude, time of day and sunset time as well as heart rate, distance etc.

I also have a casio barometer/compass watch (it was a bargain, what can I say) that's normally threaded through my shoulder strap.

P

01/02/2012 at 17:51
I've got a Suunto T4c HRM and it's ok but has a few problems, like the only way to reset when you change time zone is to take the battery out!

The watches like the Core are huge and difficult to read in bright light .
I think I won't be getting one.
01/02/2012 at 18:05
Like Jon, i would love a 'normal' watch that simply gave a grid. ref. I don't want/need all that extra shite.

01/02/2012 at 21:27
Some live pictures of the Suunto Ambit on www.sporttek.co.uk

Suunto Ambit
1 to 20 of 29 messages