Berghaus Velum smock vs Asgard smock

5 messages
24/03/2012 at 01:45
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a smock as my next waterproof and have my eye on either the Berghaus Velum or Asgard smock but i can't decide which.

Has anyone had experience of using either or both?

As i run quite hot i am assuming that the active shell smock will be better for me, but i also need it to be very durable which leads me to thinking proshell is the better option.

Is active shell really that much more breathable than pro shell?

Many thanks,

Tom
24/03/2012 at 09:44

Well if you're after both very tough and breathable then Crux's Torq is probably better than either of the Berghaus ones.

If thats too heavy, then you've got the basic trade off between the two fabrics 'right' but no idea what it means in practice.  If it matters the Asgard seems to be about 40 grams lighter. Also very much worth considering the demand pull on.

24/03/2012 at 12:08
Just been looking at the Crux Torg and it does look better! I really fancy one but i have found both the berghaus ones on offer so can get them a lot cheaper than RRP.

Also looked at the demand pull on but would prefer a smock with velcro cuffs rather than elastic.

I am also looking to use it in summer so do you reckon eVent is definitely the way to go?

24/03/2012 at 12:38
Tom Howitt wrote (see)
I am also looking to use it in summer so do you reckon eVent is definitely the way to go?

I have no complaints with my Rab Demand. If you were interested specifically in superlight waterproofs and have a backpackinglight.com subscription, they did a 'state of the market' on them recently which might be worth a look...  the Rab Demand was too heavy to be accepted into that test!

If it is warm and humid, or you're working hard in moderate temperatures, no waterproof fabric will save you from getting sweaty. Most current-gen brand named fabrics are pretty good, and the differences between them are not massive.

24/03/2012 at 13:16
Incidentally, Shewie is selling an OMM Kamleika smock in the OM classifieds right now. I've been quite happy with my Kamleika trews.
Your say
email image
5 messages