Breakfast

getting bored, what do you eat?

1 to 20 of 69 messages
28/08/2010 at 17:59
I'm getting bored with my breakfast. I woke up and had my usual at a wildcamp on Wednesday morning and gave about a third of it to the dog (once I'd eaten the sultanas and raisins). Just got bored with it

I usually take muesli and powdered milk (Nido) in a pour'n'store bag. I have it with cold water or hot water, depending on temperature. I have this with a cup of coffee

I usually have an Eat Natural bar when I first wake up, the yoghurt, nutty and coconutty one, its lovely.

My cooking consists of boiling water on a bushbuddy or meths stove, though sometimes gas, and putting it into a placcy bag or similar, then inside my cosy to cook. I want to keep to this set up to save on washing up, though I don't mind putting something straight into my 450ml ti cup to eat - this is how I eat supernoodles. But my Ti cup doesn't fit on my stove so I can't cook up in that, I just stick it inside my cosy once I've put boiling water in it. I boil up in a MSR titan kettle if that helps

So, what do you have for breakfast? I think I might end up with Supernoodles or cheese/salami/oatcakes for breakfast, but I quite like these for lunch and dinner!
Edited: 28/08/2010 at 18:17
28/08/2010 at 18:03
I've recently tried Oats so Simple with custard powder and some dried fruit. It's great! (Even if Sean invented it!)
28/08/2010 at 18:10

super noodles for breakfast

cereal bar if I cant be arsed to cook

still like my porridge/sultanas/powdered milk/nutrasweet combo but the custard powder tip really works a treat

28/08/2010 at 18:20
That's a good idea but I have custard for dessert the night before

Make up custard in pour'n'store bag
Give it a good stir
Let it thicken in my cosy
Pop in cakes or muffins (usually made by my wife before I go away)
YUM!!!

Porridge is a good shout, maybe I'll try that, although I don't really eat that normally. I've tried other cereals and I've also tried taking peanut butter and having it with a bagel or pitta bread, but unless its toasted its not the same for me!

I can't say I look forward to breakfast, unless I'm camping somewhere I can have eggs, bacon and/or sausages. I look forward to lunch and dinner, I want breakfast to be a comparable treat (I like my food!)
28/08/2010 at 20:03
Breakfast is the only meal of the day I have problems with, porridge seems to give me a bad stomach, and also means taking along a crazy amount of dried milk on top of what I take along to go with my coffee. I don't even like the stuff anyway. Noodles are quick and easy but bland, and not really what I feel like in the morning I get fed up with it. Packets of instant custard mixed with co-co pops or similar sort of works but again not really what I want in the morning and I'm not overly keen on sweet stuff. Custard with cake is nice too but for a pudding in the evening - not what I want for breakfast. I always take along a lot of cheese which means omelettes are an option but there's a risk of the eggs getting broken and making a right old mess. Dried egg sort of works for making omelettes but you need to use quite a lot of it which kind of defeats the point of the object so you may as well use real eggs. Army ration pack beans and sausages are nice for breakfast but a bit heavy compared to other things.
28/08/2010 at 20:28

I do the Oatso Simple as well, in my pot cosy using dried milk, dried fruit and just add hot water.

If i cant be bothered i just have a big coffee (Lyons coffee bag) and a pack of Belivita breakfast biscuits and something like a Nutri grain cereal bar. 

I also make my lunch up at breakfast normally a couple of pittas with one of those ready mixed packets of tuna.

I'm the same though, i quite like the evening meal at the end of the day but really cant be bothered with the breakfast.

28/08/2010 at 20:33

It depends if i'm backpacking, or simply doing an overnighter. Dried food for backpacking, but i often carry a tin of 'all day breakfast' for an overnighter.

28/08/2010 at 21:37
A boiled egg and cup of tea!
28/08/2010 at 23:08
Nibbling on a flapjack or eating an egg is a bit low in calories to say the least, backpacking is no time to diet, a flapjack is ok I guess if you have enough of it but an egg isn't much at all unless it's from an ostrich . It's alright for a lazy rest day but not if you're trekking/climbing all day. By the time I've packed up I'll be hungry before I've gotten anywhere and will be getting the crackers and cheese out for an early lunch. At least noodles are high in calories, I might try mixing it with dried soup to give it more flavour like I do with dried mash. It might just taste weird but worth a try.
28/08/2010 at 23:51
Noodles are higher in calories than that, that's the dry weight before it's made up.
29/08/2010 at 00:00

I wouldn't describe flapjack as being low in calories - especially not the stuff I make with golden syrup, butter and chocolate chips! Sometimes I feel a bit like a pack animal when walking - porridge for breakfast, flapjack for snacks...

I don't get bored with food. That may be because I don't really care much about food as long as it tastes ok and doesn't cause IBS. I'm perfectly happy to eat the same stuff for breakfast and lunch day after day. The golden syrup porridge is fine for me.

29/08/2010 at 00:11
<groan>
29/08/2010 at 00:27
I know a flapjack is high in calories that's why I said if you have enough of it - depends how you want to interpret "a nibble of" for me it'd be something I'd have whilst on the move similar to having a snickers bar etc. It's not something I'd want for breakfast though! It's nice to have something cooked in the morning too when it's cold.
29/08/2010 at 00:37
If you don't enjoy it, you aint hungry enough
29/08/2010 at 00:43
How about having an egg mixed in with the noodles, kind of like egg fried rice only with noodles instead. Then a flapjack and cup of tea/coffee afterwards?
29/08/2010 at 01:06
Good ideas so far, but I'm trying to save weight where possible

I love my food, I don't mind eating junk food but it must be tasty and must be compatible with my cooking set up. Egg and noodles would work but would egg cook in a cosy with boiling water, only one way to tell I suppose! Plus I'd have to take it in without breaking it.

All day breakfast is tasty but it's heavy without the tin and is a pain to reheat, unless a freezer bag in hot water in a pot in a cosy would heat it sufficiently

Flapjack is a good idea but generally too sweet
29/08/2010 at 06:56
Heat the flapjack in hot water. It disassembles into a porridge like constituency and then you add whatever you like:- dried fruit , custard powder, noodles, egg or anything else mentioned above.
29/08/2010 at 07:52
Mugshots are good if you don't mind pasta for breakfast.
29/08/2010 at 12:56
I just tried instant noodles mixed with some dried soup, that was quite nice, nothing wrong with that except I made it too runny. Probably best to cook the noodles first then add the soup mix or it'll likely stick to the bottom of the pan, which it does anyway when using lightweight titanium! Chicken flavoured noodles mixed with a chicken and mushroom / leek etc combo is a simple one that tastes good. A packet of cuppa soup would be about the right amount. If you wanted you could use a thick crofter's soup, you wouldn't need much of that. I've got a packet of prawn flavoured noodles which could make for an interesting combo, would go well with a sweet n' sour packet of soup if such a thing exists. Any ideas? I think you can get sweet n' sour mugshots? No reason to have nothing but chicken flavoured noodles, plenty of different flavours of dried soup around.
29/08/2010 at 13:33
For a day hike with one nighter, what I do is break a couple of eggs in a jug, add, some cooked, cold (or better frozen) mushrooms, bacon, sausage, salami, onion cubes or whatever else takes my fancy, mix it all up together with a tablespoon full of oil and pour it all in a half-liter bottle. Then wrap it in a towel and bung it in your rucksack. Come breakfast time, just pour the whole lot into the frying pan.
As long as the ingredients are all very cold to start with and kept reasonably cool they'll last until morning.
1 to 20 of 69 messages