Double Quilt?

Looking for advice on double quilt purchase

13 messages
21/03/2012 at 02:33

Hi,

I'm looking for a double quilt and not really having much luck so was wondering if anyone can help me...It's easy enough to find for one person (nunatak etc.) but i want it so that me and my partner can sleep next to each other (far nicer than sleeping bags) and use with double silk liner.

I was wanting something for 3 season use (so comfortable to somewhere between 0 and +5) when used with  sleeping mats with rating of roughly R2.5 (standard full length self-inflating mats) for 1 month of cycle touring. Lightweight (but don't need ultralight, maybe 1kg) Don't really mind on synthetic or down (but can't pay for 850/900 fill down) but would probably prefer down. I like the idea of a bit of a footbox if at all possible.

From what I can see, I'd think something like 110cm at the bottom (width of two mats) to 160cm at the top (to tuck round) would be perfect (but anyone with experience of quilts please feel free to correct me).

I contacted PHD about modifying their double quilt (heavier & cheaper fabrics and lower grade down but more of it and a size inbetween) but unforunately they're not able to make custom quilts (seems odd as their custom clothing/sleeping bag stuff is so good).

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on companies that can help.

21/03/2012 at 03:14

Sounds like it's gonna be a custom jobby to me, though it's not something i've ever personally looked into.

CP or Mole could probably fill you in more than i can on a last resort custom quilt builder, he posts on BPL and i've been impressed by his reviews.

On the other hand someone will be along asap and point you to exactly what you're looking for right off the shelf.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

21/03/2012 at 12:49

If if it's not for the weight you want to win you might consider using two same kind of mummy sleepingbags one with left and one with right zipper. If you connect only one side of the zippers of both bags you'll get a tappered blanket with two footboxes.

Zip them toghether in such a way that the headboxes are on the outsides of the blanket. Works like a charm this way.

21/03/2012 at 13:14
There is a company that refurbs down gear in Ulverston. Something mountaineering they are called. Do work for BAS too. Think they might be able to offer you something custom but not 100% sure on that. Contact them vie a google search just in case they can help. Some people from here have used their washing and / or refurb service to good effect I believe.
21/03/2012 at 15:11

Western mountaineering.

Linky.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

21/03/2012 at 15:17
PM Dekek Goffin on here - him and his lady do all their travels in a double quilt I believe.
21/03/2012 at 15:48
Or you can go a double top bag route, that takes two mats in a sleeve.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag/filters/7
21/03/2012 at 17:14
erm.......

isn't Ulvertson in Cumbria not california !!

The RAB explorer bags open fully with L zips and left and right zipped bags can zip together.
21/03/2012 at 17:57
You don't need blanket type sleepingbags with L-shape zippers. It also works quit well with mummies. Bonus is you'll get two foot boxes.
22/03/2012 at 01:46

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like american companies are the way to go with something like this. The big agnes and Wm alder MF definitely look like decent options (is there anywhere in the UK that sells WM so as not to get import tax because an extra 20% on those prices looks expensive!

I also found the rayjardine 2p quilt, has anyone got any experience of making his stuff? is it as simple as he says?

Unfortunately I don't have mummy bags for zipping together (despite having four technical bags...) as two are zippless and the other two would weight 3kg combined (and would be far too warm)

I'll certainly have to be sure on the measurements I want first as all very expensie.

22/03/2012 at 09:29
Try ZPacks, I think they would do a custom built one or you can have side zippers on their standard quilts, two of which can be zipped together.
22/03/2012 at 10:02
Zpack yes very nice but also the high prices. But if you want to save weight and don't mind to pay the price for it it's a good idea
28/03/2012 at 19:49

My wife and I use 2 MEC barrel bags zipped together, the nice thing about doing this is that they unzip flat, so one is the top and one is the bottom, they do various lengths and warmths. We have a 0 rated bag and a-10 rated one so depending on how cold it is we can just flip it over, thickest on top when it is cold, thinner on top when it is milder.

The cheapest option if you are prepared to make it is the Ray Jardine quilt.

The easiest option are the Big Agnes ones as you can buy them in the UK.

Nunatak do do a double quilt, it is mighty expensive, but apparently the craftsmanship is fantastic.

Another Rolls Royce option is a feathered friends barrel bag mated to one of their sleeved ground sheets, the advantage of this option is that they have hoods  that zip on.

Feathered Friends have also brought out a double bag. again great quality but v expensive.

Your say
email image
13 messages