Golite going direct

No more retailers?

10 messages
01/03/2012 at 07:22

http://www.golite.com/info/default.aspx

Its unclear to me whether golite is abandoning the retail channel or whether it is just undercutting it direct. Also not clear if this is US-only. However, its a pretty clear de-emphasis of the traditional retail model which will make it harder to fondle the gear (for those that need/like to).

Any retailers/distis on here with a view as to what this means in the UK?  Historically golite have treated US and international very seperately to the extent of refusing to ship outside the US.

01/03/2012 at 11:26
I see they have altered their range too. Not sure I like what I see. I've always been a big fan of their backpacks.

The Quest is a favourite of mine but the new Quest is 200g heavier (mens) and 400g heavier (womens) !! Gone is the very useful back pocket - replaced with a 'stretch pouch'. And it's not clear if they are still doing different back lengths or an adjustable back length i.e. -one size fits no one!!
Quite honestly from what I see why would you buy a Golite Quest? It looks just like many of the offerings from other manufacturers. If you want an old style pack you'd better snap up the few still in stock in UK stores.

The tents look much the same and I'm not much bothered about their clothing range. For me their backpacks were what made them worth dealing with. But not now.
08/03/2012 at 09:22

I'm currently on a holiday and sadly I'm bored, so ended up here on hearing the Golite news a day ago.

There is a UK distributor who is supposed to be taking it on, but the whole relationship in the UK has been soured over that last few months by poor management. Many of the current retailers I know are doubtful they will continue with the brand.

I've not seen any new stock only read reports from Chris Townsend and others, none of whom seem to be impressed by the new 'Goheavy'approach. So if you see something you want, buy it now, otherwise I'm guessing you'll have to take your chances in the next 6 months.

08/03/2012 at 11:27
i guess they're going more mainstream, and while theres nothing wrong with that their name is wrong!

I like my golite packs, a Jam and an Ion, but if I'm going mainstream I'd rather go with Osprey
08/03/2012 at 11:34
The new 50l Jam purportedly weighs the same as the old one (which was heavier than the first iteration) and is a more 'fully featured' (subject to interpretation) pack according to anecdotal accounts and BPL (usually a reliable source).
10/03/2012 at 08:05
11/03/2012 at 01:48

Hello from USA. The direct prices are lower than the earlier MSRP, possibly economies of cutting out the middle-man? But they just completed a large long-duration many-products sale of their 2011 range at lower prices than the new 2012 range so they just drained demand from anyone who's been awake to bargains.

Yes, the Jam is tweaked in a nil-weight impact, they've added load-lifters which is puzzling for a frameless pack,  and I chuckled to the J.A.M. "Just Add More" name of Goheavy, sorry, GoLite. I bought a Jam and another Peak in their sale in December, and that's me sorted for some years, tough and reasonable value.

I have an unused 2011 Peak in the UK (too small, bought a Jam so it didn't get used) I want to sell but I was competing with lots of sales going on and will re-attempt when none on the sales.

11/03/2012 at 20:56

I recently emailed them about international orders and this was the reply I got...

"We are so excited that you are interested in GoLite!
With all of the enthusiasm generated by our international customers, we hope we will be able to serve all of you directly in the future.

At this point in time we are only set up to take orders shipping to either a U.S. or Canadian address. Also, only credit cards with U.S. or Canadian billing addresses can be processed by our system. We do have locations scattered throughout the U.S. so if you are ever in the area stop by, say “hello”, and pick up some great GoLite gear!

Due to the distance, unfortunately GoLite is unable to do refunds, repairs, or exchanges internationally. If you have a broken buckle or chest strap though, send us a photo of the broken part along with your address and we would be more than happy to send you a replacement if we have what you need."

12/03/2012 at 03:09
ahh, so buy only in USA/Canada, get any warranty issues resolves only in USA/Canada, pretty much hence only a USA brand and that's the end for the UK?
12/03/2012 at 08:19

Interesting that they mounted such an adamant defence of how they were comitted to the retail channel late last year, only for the rumours to appear to be (largely) correct.

re the US/Canadian orders thing, I successfully ordered from them 2 months ago with a UK card over the phone, for US delivery. At that point the guy on the phone said that whilst they couldn't take non-US cards online, they were happy to do so over the phone.

Your say
email image
10 messages