Golite Shangri La 3/Hex 3 Owners thread

Discussions /Modifications/Support methods/DIY Inner

1 to 20 of 860 messages
29/06/2009 at 10:11

Lots of folks have these now (inc. me - have a Hex3)

I thought I would start this thread so as to allow everyone to share with all our impressions/experiences/tinkering (ideas or reality) -if they can be arsed

I have the outer (i.e. Flysheet ) and nest (mesh inner tent) and original adjustable pole. 

It's a nylon flysheet so will get varying condensation much of the time - just like all of them. It's normal.

If solo I have just used the outer and a bit of polychro type groundsheet.  The nest is good and sturdy with a decent groundsheet, but I'm sure I would want a 'solid' fabric inner tent and porch in winter

I had one night out of 3 completely dry (inside) with it the other week - I was surprised I got that considering it was Dartmoor.

I know that various folks are working on a 'solid' smaller inner tent which allows a porch area- maybe we could use this thread as a place to share experiences?

29/06/2009 at 11:25

Any DIY ideas for joining 2 'Leki' type poles together appreciated - I used the pole extender and a single trekking pole, but the lower section bent when I cinched the outer down tight. 

Have tried various tubes, but the tapered points wobble inside the tube.  Maybe partially fill the tube with Epoxy and make a moulded socket?  How?

29/06/2009 at 11:31
Mole i an in the proccess of trying to sorce some alli tube that will slide over the lower section and over the plastic bit on the second section of the leki.... then using two pole point to point with the tube as a connector.... was thinging about ramming a cork or similar down into the middle of the tube for the points on the walking poles to press into. this way hopefully there will be little or no bending load on the thin lower section on the leki's
29/06/2009 at 11:38

I need to get hold of an old pair of Leki type poles and have a hexperiment.

Until people see the light and start using BD flicklocks, there's definitely a need for a Leki Doobrie

My Arse

29/06/2009 at 11:38
DW - How long would that tube be then?  Would it set up against the 'collar at the case of the middle section of the poles?
29/06/2009 at 11:39
I guess that the flicklocks adjustment is on the outer section rather than the end of the inner like leki?
29/06/2009 at 11:42
Yeah, it's basically just a clamp, Mole. Very low tech really.

My Arse

29/06/2009 at 11:44
i reckon a foot long would be more than enough to overlap that second collar if i get some tube mole i should have plenty spare if it works to give you some.
29/06/2009 at 11:52

Cheers both.

DW that's kind - - ali tube I've seen in stores seems to be 16mm,19mm  and 22mm....

29/06/2009 at 11:53

A suggestion, not backed by experience:

' Find a piece of cord 14 inches long.

. Tie a small loop in each end, big enough to put the tip of a Keki through, but small enough to stop more than the tip getting through.

. Take the baskets off the poles.

. Insert the tips of two Lekis in the hoops so the poles are parallel.

. Use another bit of string to bind the overlapping bits of the poles together.

If this works, apply the principle to a more durable/elegant version. 

29/06/2009 at 11:57

Cheers 

- might have a play with that and some velcro strapping. possibly has a bit more 'fiddle factor' for pitching

I know Mike has something for his which is webbing based and a similar technique...

29/06/2009 at 12:09

My Arse

29/06/2009 at 12:11
Se@n wrote (see)
BD pole connector
Cheers Can you get them in UK Sean?
29/06/2009 at 12:16

No idea, Mole. Mike probably got his from the US. Would probably work with Lekis?

But if you have BD poles I think you're better off with the Doobrie. Lighter, less faff and much more elegant

My Arse

29/06/2009 at 12:20

Think it would work with Lekis - google says no UK supplier.

Am in process of choosing new poles - fortuitously one of mine's locking adjuster fell apart yesterday (trekmates).  Need to handle some BD's see what they're like.

29/06/2009 at 13:27

mole, get a handle section and cut the handle off leaving the tube (i just whittled the cork handle away on an alpkit handle section) take off the bottom sections of your poles, i.e. pull them out of the handle, and insert the bottom two sections from your poles into each end of the tube and adjust away to your heart's desire.

i've use the bottom sections of pacer poles in an alpkit handle so mutilated. (or the alpkit poles)

if using aluminium poles hold a hot cloth around where the internal gripper will go to expand the shell slightly and tighten. it shouldn't come loose during the night which i put down to the pole expanding a little bit as it get slightly warmer than it was when it was first erected.

take the lower (middle?) section of your existing poles and cause havoc somewhere by dismantling their cheap poles to see if your section fits in the handle bit.

Edited: 29/06/2009 at 13:28
29/06/2009 at 13:39

If I read that correctly Parky,  that would give me a double ended adjustable pole with the spikes at each end?  (sorry if being dumb)

That would be a useful adjustable pole but would need end capson the spikes to stop puncturing the fabric...

29/06/2009 at 13:49

yep. double ended fully adjustable spiky pole.

the rubber ferrule/protection cap that comes with them or a washing plastic bubble thingy they give away with washing liquid are handy. anything you can think of that would "blunt" the pointy bit works.

long spiky pole is also excellent with a tarp.

Edited: 29/06/2009 at 13:50
29/06/2009 at 15:22
Mole wrote (see)

If I read that correctly Parky,  that would give me a double ended adjustable pole with the spikes at each end?  (sorry if being dumb)

That would be a useful adjustable pole but would need end capson the spikes to stop puncturing the fabric...

The alternative approach is to take your Hex to a sailmaker and get him to fit a cringle thingee (a hole with a metal ring round it) at the peak of your Hex.  The spike will jam in there a treat.   
29/06/2009 at 20:32

I find the Tarp sangi 3 a most excellent TARP. versatile and probably the most spacious TARP I shall ever own.

I tend not to get carried away with the additional bits as it just make this good shelter turn out to be a tent with limitations.

I no longer carry a bothy bag, but one of these instead....

1 to 20 of 860 messages