How do you carry your First Aid Kit?

boxes, bag, loops, straps

1 to 20 of 31 messages
02/04/2012 at 13:17

So it's time to re-do my old first aid kit after all the old stuff expired or got lost in my recnet move. I've picked up up all the kit (basing it off what's in the Lifesystems ones + Tick Twizzlers) but I was wondering how people tend to carry it.

The previous one was in a clip-lock tupperware, I figured it would stop it getting squished and keep the elements out, but even a small one stuffed to the gills feels bulky for what I'm carrying, and it doesn't really stand out in case someone else needs to get to it.

The other consideration is to protect the rest of my pack from the tools inside, pins tweezers and scissors all seem like they could pierce a bag.

What does the rest of the forum think?

02/04/2012 at 13:24

I still use the little red zip-up pocket my Lifesystems FAK came in, even though the FAK has been customised. There's nothing in it to damage anything else - scissors and tweezers are in the small Swiss Army knife I carry, safety pins don't hurt anything.

I've been thinking of replacing the Lifesystems bag with a resealable small sandwich bag to save weight, or splash out on a Granite Gear Air Pocket - I keep my wildcamping toiletries in one.

02/04/2012 at 13:31
I use a small drybag. Inside this the bits & bobs are separated in to small waterproof bags. I also use a waterproof box that I bought from Decathlon a few years ago. I couldn't find another the last time that I checked. I keep my 'important' meds., spare lenses, spare phone etc. in this. I've found of late that empty Nuun tablet tubes are very useful for tweezers etc as well.
02/04/2012 at 13:37
In a very small spare map case.
02/04/2012 at 13:45

Well i still use the clip-lock tupperware type containers (from Tesco's) as i know everything is safe (bit's won't fall out, won't get crushed, won't get wet) and it can't harm anything else i carry in the rucksack.

Personally i feel the small added weight of the container is a small price to pay for the reassurance that it's all there if and when i need to use it.

Edited: 02/04/2012 at 13:47
edh
02/04/2012 at 13:48

I never take one; don't see the point.

Sharps do well in Nalgene containers though - or those very small vials you can get at the chemists.

edh
02/04/2012 at 21:57
Neil1 wrote (see)
[...]I also use a waterproof box that I bought from Decathlon a few years ago[...]

Like a fishing lure box? I think you may be onto an idea there, does have the advantage of compartments and being fairly rugged.

Metric Kate wrote (see)

[...]scissors and tweezers are in the small Swiss Army knife I carry, safety pins don't hurt anything.[...]

Could be a nice excuse to upgrade my multi-tool, typical, I come in here for a bag/box and start looking at new hardware

As for making it stand out I was thinking if I stick with the clip-lock box of putting some red electrical tape on it. What would you be looking for if you were looking in someone else's pack for a FAK?

02/04/2012 at 22:03
I think this question is only useful if asked of people who can talk about their experiecne of using their first aid kit in such a way that it had a significant effect on someone's medical outcome.
02/04/2012 at 22:06
i put mine in a coghlans clear dry bag. I like it as I can see the contents easily, I also keep other useful bits in there like spare head torch, paracord, matches

you can get pod first aid kit dry bags, they look pretty handy. I just liked the idea of a clear one for spotting contents
02/04/2012 at 22:12
Kish Logan wrote (see)
I think this question is only useful if asked of people who can talk about their experiecne of using their first aid kit in such a way that it had a significant effect on someone's medical outcome.

what?
02/04/2012 at 22:18
Basically, how affective has your medical kit been, when you've had to use it.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

02/04/2012 at 22:29

isnt it there for when we need it?

02/04/2012 at 22:35

twiglegs wrote (see)
Basically, how affective has your medical kit been, when you've had to use it.
Hey, my FAK got me out of some bother last time I was in the Lakes, someone behind me took a tumble and I turned back to help. Turns out the biggest casualty was his pride and some skinned knees. Later on he saw me waiting for a very late bus and gave me a lift back to town.
Edited: 02/04/2012 at 22:35
02/04/2012 at 22:40
Weevil wrote (see)

isnt it there for when we need it?

Yup, but how effective would it be in a real situation, ie someone in real need of emergency care. ?

I do carry quite a comprehensive kit myself, it actually weighs more than my cook kit, but i doubt there's anything in there that could be life saving, bar the Aspirin but that's a whole subject on it's own.

I guess if i left it at home i could make it off the hill, but i prefer to carry it regardless, though i see it as something to use on others rather than myself, and that's yet another subject that could be debated heatidly for god only knows how long.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

02/04/2012 at 22:50
It's a first aid kit not an emergency care kit.
Pain tablets, a plaster or two and something to staunch bleeding aka duck tape and a bit of cloth. First aid to get yourself help or someone else help.
02/04/2012 at 22:54

In one of the cliped plastic boxes.

How big depends on how many peeps in group and if i think they carry their own.

I mark it with a Red permant marker cross. Kept in top pocket if have one.

Using a Golite kept near top of sack.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

02/04/2012 at 22:59
Parky Again wrote (see)
It's a first aid kit not an emergency care kit.
Same difference really, unless you've a cut off line where you wouldn't step in to try and help.

02/04/2012 at 23:04
I don't think so.

Emergency care involves doctors and nurses and proper medical kit.

First aid involves trying to help someone until proper care arrives. Duck tape and what you're wearing or carrying can fix most things long enough.
02/04/2012 at 23:10
Parky Again wrote (see)
I don't think so. Emergency care involves doctors and nurses and proper medical kit. First aid involves trying to help someone until proper care arrives. Duck tape and what you're wearing or carrying can fix most things long enough.
And if there's an emergency on some remote hill?, you just gonna sit there watching for the the blues in the distance. ?

02/04/2012 at 23:35
And how would a simple first aid kit help in such emergency?
1 to 20 of 31 messages