Light Weight Waterproof Advice?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
19/03/2012 at 21:57

Ladies / Gents,

I am a newbie and hope I am not wasting peoples time.

I am after the lightest, waterproof most breathable jacket avaliable - money not an issue.

I run HOTTER THAN THE SUN all the time so don't need a fully waterproof hardcore jacket (I have an eVent North Face for that anyway which I hardly wear due to overheating). I am not a hill climber / walker / fell runner, just someone after a robust waterproof I can carry in my pocket/rucksack for the UK weather.

I have just bought a Arcteryx Gamma LT Softshell and this is 'perfect' in respect to weight and breathability - but is only showerproof (not tested yet!)...so I want a jacket to carry in the pocket and use if it really downpours.

Research has got me down to 2 possibles: Marmot Super Mica or Montane Minimus???

Any advice on these or ANY OTHER jackets would be appreciated.

I am after : (in order of importance to me)

• Waterproof
  • Breatheable
  • Lightweight
  • Packable into a pocket/rucksack
  • NOT The North Face or Berghaus brands please

Thank You, 1baloo.

19/03/2012 at 22:10

hi baloo. i've not found any water proof which is breathable enough to stop you roasting whilst running, and i have tried.  

it will be interesting to hear if there is such a jacket.  the best thing i could suggest is pertex. which is not waterproof.

i have seen runners/bikers in some sort of white coloured, nearly see-through coat which is supposed to be great but not sure what its called. someone on here should help you out.

19/03/2012 at 22:22

The lightest almost certainly won't be the most breathable or waterproof ime, nor will it be hugely robust. For example, I reckon that to be very waterproof for long periods a jacket will probably need a front zip protected by a flap of fabric which can be fastened down, and a well shaped hood with a wired peak -- but neither feature makes for an ultra light jacket. And a lot of ultralight fabrics aren't hugely breathable, either.

So the two jackets you mention both score highly on weight and packability, but maybe not bombproof waterproofing or high breathability. Not that they're bad jackets, just a matter of compromise. I'm sure either would be fine for you (I quite liked a Super Mica I once borrowed) as long as you didn't expect miracles.

19/03/2012 at 22:30

Dan / Guy,

Thanks for the replies...I think your right you can go OTT with weight/breathability/waterproofness etc....so the Super Mica might besufficient for me but I'll let this topic run for a week and see what others say, incase someone comes up with something ideal for me.

Thanks again, 1baloo.

19/03/2012 at 23:02

Breathability of both the mica and minimus meant to be perfectly good - also see RABs new stuff in the same fabric as the minimus etc.

Those fabrics are definetly emphasing weight over robustness though, mostly to get ~200g or less rather than the ~350g that say an Event jacket will be. Some options <300g in fact. The event would breath a little better too. 

Still if you really do run super hot, wearing a wind shirt most of the time is probably much the sanest sort of solution. Then the actual robustness of the waterproof not so critical. The fortius right sort of idea but going to be too warm quite a bit of the time.

Oh, I'd be rather impressed if you had an Event jacket from TNF Maybe you mean pro shell?

orb
19/03/2012 at 23:10
Try a poncho waterproof,plenty of ventilation and cheap
orb
19/03/2012 at 23:11

Martin,

That is why I am on this site as you spooted my deliberate mistake...when I said eVent I meant HYvent (as it says on sleeve)!!!!!

Rab you say...I thought they were mainly big puffa style arctic insulated jackets, but will look at that brand...any particular RAB you can name to save me searching the www of RAB and their zilllions of jackets?

Thanks for the reply Martin.

1baloo

19/03/2012 at 23:12
 Owen your such a cheapie!
edh
19/03/2012 at 23:13
edh
edh
19/03/2012 at 23:15
That was a joke BTW...
edh
19/03/2012 at 23:19

ed h......I thought you were God for a few minutes, but clicking on the link your not mate!

I could never walk down the Essex High Street in that  gear!

Thought that counts....

1baloo

19/03/2012 at 23:52

I've got the Mica, I like it (its not the super mica), waterproof and breathable - very light - doesn't feel very durable bust its stood up to driving rain and daypacks.

The new goretex active shell is supposed to be very breathable and light - its got good reviews - the haglofs endo jacket uses this.

Of course the neoshell and powershiold pro are supposed to be super breathable but they are are not the lightest in the box.

I think active shell might fit your criteria best.

20/03/2012 at 00:09

Panda...

Haglofs....never even knew it existed until I started searching for a jacket...that's how I found out about Arc'teryx, but I don't want to have too many of same brand (picky I know).

But thanks for the Haglofs Endo suggesstion, looking it up now and the active shell (I take it most top range brands will have this as it's Goretex and they license it to companies?).

Thanks for the input Panda...off to the Haglofs Reviews Site.

1baloo

20/03/2012 at 01:10
How about an umbrella?  They can be lightweight but are always breathable and offer no insulation.
20/03/2012 at 01:21
Haglofs endo as said or a poncho as said earlier tho I find Haglofs much sexier

Dont follow me!!

20/03/2012 at 01:27
And Pinky your starting to sound like Clinchy/Parky stop it before its too late

Dont follow me!!

20/03/2012 at 07:17
Umbrella or poncho are the only things that tick all the OP's boxes.

There are plenty of needlessly expensive ones if you think they're too cheap

They are exceedingly effective.

Lol. Cheapest would be to slow down of course.

To remain non-saunaed in a mica get one a size too big to allow for plenty of airflow which then makes it breathable...
20/03/2012 at 08:08
I live on the isle of man, and it's frequently windy, I could never imagine taking an umbrella on the hills because I would end up doing a Mary poppins, or it would blow inside out, or the rain comes in sideways and the coverage profile changes... Must be great living in the uk where it only rains when there is no wind...
20/03/2012 at 08:13

Dont follow me!!

20/03/2012 at 09:29

If you haven't tried Event then well worth looking at that too. Both Montane and Rab do plenty of nice jackets in it with sundry styles.

Depends which Hyvent but probably not terribly spectacular fabric performance wise.

1 to 20 of 30 messages