Lightwave kit bags

Backpacking rucksacks

16 messages
16/07/2011 at 23:32
I am looking for a new rucksack for backpacking. I crux AK47 for climbing, but I need something a little bigger for backpacking. Are the Lightwave rucksacks any good?
17/07/2011 at 10:09

They seem to keep getting at least good magazine reviews. (Some on their website - here.). Very few stockists for some odd reason mind and obviously only going to be good if it carries well for you.

They'd presumably know how similar the back systems are to the Crux packs!

17/07/2011 at 10:51

i think they are but nobody seems to stock them on the highstreet so ive never tried one on.

17/07/2011 at 12:31

In essence the packs are pretty good but, as ever, fit is everything.

I got hold of a Lightwave Fastpack 40 a couple of years ago - and found it one of the most uncomfortable packs I've ever tried. The hipbelt positioning was absolutely terrible on me. I passed it on to Metric Kate, and she found it supremely comfortable.

I've also got a Crux AK47 and I find that comfortable (although the hipbelt doesn't support more than a moderate load) - so unfortunately I don't think you can assume that because the Crux suits you the Lightwave necessarily will.

Btw what sort of capacity do you think you're looking at for backpacking?

17/07/2011 at 13:21

Try before you buy?

Or rather: buy, try and return if you don't like it.  Gamble the return postage from an online seller.

They look good .  I met a guy with an Ultrahike who really rated it, though the side pockets were in ribbons as he used it scrambling...  others seen with Wildtraks seem happy.

I briefly had a Lightwave S42 (old model) -bought in an online sale a few years back.  Never used it for real.  Just a completely weird fit - unlike any other pack I've tried -  Sold it for what I paid on ebay.

17/07/2011 at 14:11

I love my Fastpack 40  in baby blue    good size for ultralite tarping in summer or winter

day pack or  hut to hutting in alps.

now wanting an ultralite 60 or wildtrek

Edited: 17/07/2011 at 14:15
17/07/2011 at 18:28
Cheers All and Martin, I think I will need a 60 ltr sack as I want to disappear int the remote parts of Scotland for a week. My Karrimor 75 ltr rucksack is 25 years old and a bit worse for wear.
18/07/2011 at 02:04
18/07/2011 at 13:00

Hi James i got hold of a Fastpack 50 from Tiso Rose Street a while back and according to their website they are out of stock(maybe call them to ask if they are restocking?,they still do Lightwave tents),its available for just under £100 online tho!

I took my old Vango sherpa filled with enough gear for 2 nights and managed to fit it all in instore(the guy in shop was excellent),before buying.

Have since had it out and find it very comfortable and keeps things stable and dry,wouldnt go much over its recommended max weight as its not a beast of a pack like my sherpa,

cheers

John

18/07/2011 at 13:28

Cheers Edward, but I need a larger pack.

Cheers John, will give them a bell. I get 10% BMF discount  there

18/07/2011 at 13:29
If you're a fan of the AK47 why not consider its larger brother? I'm using an AK57 for backpacking - only limited use from it thus far but I'm really liking it.
18/07/2011 at 13:41

I also backpack with an ak57.

My review is here

John

18/07/2011 at 15:34

I have a lightwave Wildtrek, and I utterly love it. Far and away the best sack for travelling that i've ever had. The fact that it's made by the same people as Crux shows.

As for Eoghan's point, the lightwave is designed for long-distance travelling/walking, so the waistband has containers for compass/water/money/camera  etc. It's like compaing a fighter with a bomber - both Crux & lightwave are brilliantly designed for what they do, but they're designed for different functions. 

Lightwave isn't nearly widely enough known, imho.

Edited: 18/07/2011 at 15:37
18/07/2011 at 15:57
I've got a Lightwave S54 Size 3 - it's a superb lightweight pack, weighs just on 1kg, has an incredibly strong internal frame so will carry big loads when necessary, yet is light enough to use as a daypack for wanders away from camp. Here's the website .. perfect nick, £50 posted. Only selling as I'm moving abroad.
11/08/2011 at 19:46
ALoveSupreme wrote (see)
I've got a Lightwave S54 Size 3 - it's a superb lightweight pack, weighs just on 1kg, has an incredibly strong internal frame so will carry big loads when necessary, yet is light enough to use as a daypack for wanders away from camp. Here's the website .. perfect nick, £50 posted. Only selling as I'm moving abroad
Just what I need, but my back length is only 48cm
24/04/2013 at 22:28

I finally settled on a Wild track 70. Great carry and solid workmanship.

Your say
email image
16 messages