Lightweight Sandals for river crossings

1 to 20 of 24 messages
07/09/2011 at 18:20

Could anyone recommend some Lightweight sandals for doing river crosses.

Thanks

edh
07/09/2011 at 18:24
Cheap as chips and if you mail them they will send USPS - which is not that expensive.
edh
08/09/2011 at 07:48

An old pair of insoles with an old sock over them. Gives about as much protection and grip as the spint-aquatics type shoes, but for free.

Or you could just wear trainers/sandals for hiking and let them dry out afterwards. Works for me!

08/09/2011 at 10:57
Croc clones from down the market or, if you don't want to spoil the lines of your pack (or you have big feet), cheapo flip flops (ones without toe dividers so you can schlep around camp/town in socks while your boots dry out). I keep mine strapped outside the pack for fast access if anticipating repeated river crossings.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/2104/gallery/Fullsize/flipflop.jpg

08/09/2011 at 22:09
Have to agree with the last post flip flops every time
09/09/2011 at 07:04

Flip-flops are great if you like falling in rivers. Especially fast flowing rocky ones.

09/09/2011 at 11:43

Crossing something like this in flip-flops would be no bother... 

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/%7Epjclinch/pix/hmn9-2.jpg

But something like this might be rather more "interesting"...
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/%7Epjclinch/pix/hmn9-3.jpg

Falling over in the fast rocky rivers may be preceeded by seeing one of your flip flops disappearing downstrem after the current has removed it from your foot...

I'll often ford stuff in Teva Terra Fis, but I'll have them on anyway.  I wouldn't cart something that heavy (or buy something that costly) just for river crossing.  But whatever I used I'd want it to be able to be attached reasonably firmly to my feet if I'm doing something like the second photo above.  The job of keeping a flip flop on in that sort of thing also needs to consider your feet are numb after the first few seconds (a lot of that's melt) and the bottom is very uneven and slippery.

Pete.

Edited: 09/09/2011 at 11:44
09/09/2011 at 11:52
Neoprene booties - the sort you wear whilst canoeing.
09/09/2011 at 11:57
Peter Clinch wrote (see)

But something like this might be rather more "interesting"...
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/%7Epjclinch/pix/hmn9-3.jpg

Those people aren't wearing any troos

My Arse

09/09/2011 at 13:23
Size 50 feet jammed into 47/48 flip flops? They're going no place - but if you're worried, hold 'em on with manky old socks, you still get a light, cheap option that's also more use walking round town than a pair of insoles (although you do get some odd looks on Fort William Main Street in January).
09/09/2011 at 13:30
Neoprene booties - the sort you wear whilst canoeing.

They'd work, but I wouldn't buy a pair just for this.

Size 50 feet jammed into 47/48 flip flops?

They'd work too.  My personal objection to this is being a Softy I'd prefer something that doubles as comfortable camp-ware.

Those people aren't wearing any troos

They're Scandanavian, so That's All Right...

Pete.

09/09/2011 at 13:32
Neoprene socks Nice and cheap and grippy little things.
Edited: 09/09/2011 at 13:34
09/09/2011 at 14:06
I'd not seen them that cheap outside of kids' sizes: good find!
09/09/2011 at 14:19
Mike fae Dundee wrote (see)

Flip-flops are great if you like falling in rivers. Especially fast flowing rocky ones.

Exactly.  I do a bit of river fly fishing and it can be difficult staying on your feet when wearing wading boots with felt soles and studs and carrying a wading staff, never mind flipflops on your feet and a rucksack with an undone hipbelt swinging around on your back.

Those neoprene booties look far more suitable.

09/09/2011 at 16:20

You're not all bad then, Jake.

Fly fishing used to be my life. I've had many great adventures on the Tay system. Dodging the baillifs was great fun.

09/09/2011 at 16:22
Why not just take your socks off and your insoles out, put your shoes or boots back on, and cross the river? A river crossing is not the place to give up grip or protection.
Edited: 09/09/2011 at 16:23
09/09/2011 at 16:33

I simply cross in my trail shoes. When i used to wear boots, i did exactly as ALS suggests.

09/09/2011 at 16:38
In nice weather I do the same Mike; but if it's crap I've discovered that it's smarter to take my socks off (and maybe insoles out) before I cross than change out of wet socks on the other side! A bit of packtowel can do quite a good job of soaking up much of the water inside the shoes - then putting dry insoles in and dry socks back means my feet will be more comfortable sooner.
09/09/2011 at 16:45

If the weather is crap (cold), i'll have my g/tex socks on if the water is shallow enough.

I usually carry some duct tape, and i've thought about taping the top of the g/tex socks to my legs for deeper water.

09/09/2011 at 17:37
ALoveSupreme wrote (see)

Why not just take your socks off and your insoles out, put your shoes or boots back on, and cross the river? A river crossing is not the place to give up grip or protection

that's what I do.

Unless it's summer, or my feet are totally soaked already, then I just walk on through (rolling trousers up necessary  if not wearing shorts  -trousers  with an ankle zip(e.g. Terras) can allow very high rolling up... )

Though this year I gave in and acqired someCroc clones.  Ihaven't taken them walking yet, but may try them out - they seem a good choice for camp wear if required. (don't usually bother to take anything)

1 to 20 of 24 messages