looking for a new hard shell

(not tortoise related)

7 messages
28/02/2012 at 16:59

I say "hard" shell, what I really mean is fully waterproof, breathable shell, presumably hard shell. I have no Paramo experience and not about to start sorry! Quite a few sales starting soon so probably a good time to buy and I need by end of March. Just a regular decent shell, ideally

I like but, am not limited to, Rab/Marmot/ME. Looking for value for money, no fixed budget but expect to pay £100-£160 ... £200 definitely too much.

I actually bought my last one (Craghoppers eVent) from someone on here who'd nabbed a few bargains from TK Maxx! 

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks .... Simon. 

PS I managed to rip mine with crampons in the bag - have patched it up with Spinnaker tape (albeit a different shade of green), which was okay for a while but comes off in proper rain. Also has sleeve seam coming loose and (despite recent reproofing) one of the arms had several non-beading areas, although it didn't leak to be fair. All in all I should probably replace.

28/02/2012 at 17:04
If you're not in a rush, then you may as well spend the next few weeks keeping an eye on ebay and various gear classifieds and grab whatever looks alright
28/02/2012 at 18:25
Personally I use a ME Morpheus. By a stroke of good luck I managed to get it for less than £150 so if it were me, I'd spend time browsing the web for sale offers. You never know. Pretty sure I saw a tab latock somewhere for £160 a couple of weeks ago.
28/02/2012 at 18:25
I'd go to a shop with a good selection and try a few on for size decide what features you want/like and then keep your eye open in the sales etc until one appears within your budget.  
28/02/2012 at 20:21
I meant 'Rab' not tab.....flipping touch screen phones.
29/02/2012 at 09:54
Depending on a few factors, I'd try and head to rabs factory shop in alfreton. Nearly all their stock is half price or more (as you'd expect). My event jacket from there was £100, and its been very good!

Check out the blog here......

29/02/2012 at 10:45

As Serriadh says you can get some bargains if you're willing to wait. Early last year I got a Crux Torq for £130 in a sale on WebTogs because it was older stock - RRP for the current version is £270.

Your say
email image
7 messages