More Help required - recommendations for...

...Ladies waterproofs helmet compatible - long!

10 messages
14/03/2011 at 09:44

Sorry, I've another favour to ask.  We live on an island and there is very little choice here, so any technical gear we usually buy online, so returns can be a hassle.

I'm looking for a women's helmet compatible waterproof jacket for the missus, but she prefers to have a longer cut (i.e. not stopping at the waist.. or hips.. in fact she prefers it right down past her bum, so more of a hiking jacket but with a helmet compatible hood.

While we can work out which hood will take a helmet, its sometimes difficult to work out how long the jacket is, so any help you can give would be most appreciated.

15/03/2011 at 10:18
Have a look at some of the longer cut ME jackets, iirc they have the same standard ME hood which is fine for helmets. If you can stretch the budget the ME Womens' MRT jacket is an awesome piece of kit and might be long enough for what you're looking for. I do believe they have another model in a longer cut though, but can't remember the name of it!

For what it's worth, my better half just settled on buying a mens' jacket in small, which has worked out pretty well, but relies on the woman concerned not being short!
15/03/2011 at 11:08

Cheers John, must admit, its been a real struggle finding any manufacturer who makes a longer length jacket, I suspect in the rush to cut the headline weight, so people could avoid the strain of carrying an extra 100g, length was the first to go.

The only two I can find are Arcteryx Theta and Haglofs Cirque... I'll see if I can talk her into getting a men's jacket!

15/03/2011 at 11:22

er... what's wrong with the Haglofs Cirque Q?

Any Haglofs thing with a Q in its name is girly.

15/03/2011 at 11:30
Metric Kate wrote (see)

er... what's wrong with the Haglofs Cirque Q?

Any Haglofs thing with a Q in its name is girly.

Sorry Katie - I meant the Cirque Q and the Women's Theta when I was talking about long length jackets. 

I was expecting to find a decent long length one by Berghaus, but it seems that mountain jackets are on the short side this year... like footballers shorts used to be in the 70's, so maybe the longer style will come round once (I mean waterproof jackets, not footballers shorts).

15/03/2011 at 11:58
When Pandas go Bad wrote (see)

but it seems that mountain jackets are on the short side this year... like footballers shorts used to be in the 70's.

15/03/2011 at 14:01

If you can persuade her to get a mans jacket then ME Ogre is superb. For some reason ME womens jackets seem shorter this year (although you don't need a current model) which could save you some dosh. Maybe worth contacting manufacturers/shops to get exact length to give you some idea before you shell out. Here is a link that may interest you the site has other jackets that may fit your requirements too.

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/MOUNTAIN_EQUIPMENT_OGRE_WATERPROOF_JACKET_.html

15/03/2011 at 14:25

Well the rohan hill top certainly has the length but unsure as to helmet hoods.

Some Paramo stuff very long cut of course, as are some Cioch styles. My Sligachan for round town is getting on for knee length and they'd happily put their helmet hood on one if you asked.

Edited: 15/03/2011 at 14:26
15/03/2011 at 17:07

The Rab Vidda has a long back but I'm not sure if the hood is helmet compatable.

My only gripes with it are

1: The small toggle adjusters on the bottom of the jacket and on the back of the hood.

2: the pockets have an internal storm flap rather than an external one. So the laminated ones are exposed have to be pushed fully shut into a wee hood at the top of the zip. I find it a bit of a fiddle getting into the pockets, especially in gloves.

Otherwise it's not a bad jacket

I'm not sure how tall your wife is, but I'm 5ft 5.5 in and the Vidda easily covers my bum.

As John said some of the ME jackets are longer cut. Especially the men's ones. I had a (now sadly discontinued) Lhotse and the body length was very good. I have just bought a Diamir (womens) and it does cover my bum, just. However shop around- full price it is very expensive- ridiculously so. I managed to find it online with £100 off.

When you're looking online, see if you can find a back length mentioned in the spec. I know when TGO review jackets they give back lengths.

Have a look here  for a start to the search- back lengths are given which might be helpful to you.

16/03/2011 at 17:59
Worth having a look at Gaynors, they have quite a few ME jackets in their clearance section usually (and they've now bucked up their game with mail order). Mrs picked up a changabang with about £90 off a few weeks back, but iirc they had quite a few ME jackets there.
Your say
email image
10 messages