North Ridge Gear

Anyone used it?

1 to 20 of 57 messages
07/03/2011 at 22:43

I've see this on the offer leaflet from GO Outdoors, the North Ridge Kailas Jacket. Has anyone used North Ridge gear and is it any good?

Also on the same leaflet is the Berghaus Torrey Peak Jacket. I can't find much about this anywhere, it seems Go are the only stockists. Again, any info is appreciated.

10/03/2011 at 21:07

Anyone?

I'm going along to Go tomorrow and having never used North Ridge I'm stumped. No one else sells it so I assume it's an own brand type of thing. If it's good quality I don't mind, but I'm a bit wary.

10/03/2011 at 21:23

I'm afraid I cant comment on the North Ridge specifically, but can say I've bought odd bits of 'own brand' stuff from GO before, mainly just for cheap dog walking sunday stroll use than any serious activities. Some of it has stood up well like the trousers I bought about three years ago which have lasted better that the old favourite Craghoppers, some less well likek the own brand fleeces which have shrunk after 1-2 washes.

For £99, or ideally another £20 or £30 you could probably pick up something from a better known brand if you shop around on the net.

10/03/2011 at 22:19
I was in Tiso today and they had a North Face Nimbus jacket, reduced from £190 to £99. Unfortunately it's Goretex Paclite, or I'd have snapped it up. 
10/03/2011 at 23:20
Hi Grendel

I asked a member of Go Outdoors staff recently about North Ridge.

The explanation is that Hi Gear is their 'value for money' range, while North Ridge is also their own brand but at the higher end of the market.

Hope that helps!

BLZ
16/03/2011 at 21:12
HAD THIS FROM BERGHAUS MAYBE A LITTLE HELP
BEST WISHES
BIGAL

The following communication from Berghaus.com is in response to a recently asked question, or to provide you with an update on the status of an order you have with us.

Subject
Berghaus Men's Torrey Peak GORE-TEX Walking Jacket The above jacket is on sale

Response 13/03/2011 02.24 PM
Dear Al,

Thank you for your email.

It may be that the Berghaus Men's Torrey Peak GORE-TEX Walking Jacket was a special make up Jacket specially made only for Go Outdoors, hence the reason it not being available in any other store or on our website.

We hope this helps.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact one of the Berghaus team on 0845 607 2477 (UK) or 44 (0)1254 277247 (Int) between the hours of 8.00 - 18.00 Monday - Friday.
16/03/2011 at 21:27

They were out of stck, so I didn't get to see them. If it's a one off, not available at any other time, how can they advertise it as £220 RRP?

16/03/2011 at 22:05
I bought a pair of North Ridge boots (Corrie) as they were offered at 50£. Decent feel, Event liner, confy and very soft. They'll be used for bimbling around the Peaks and other places without any need for more robust stuff when my Lithium have croaked for good...
01/08/2011 at 21:10
I bought a pair of North Ridge Men's Corrie eVent Waterproof Walking Boots from Go outdoors, they lasted 6 months then started to leak. Took them back to GoOutdoors to be told it was not a manufacturing fault and would probably not be covered by the guarantee. But would need to be sent away to be assessed. I was not happy with this and didn't leave my boots.I contacted GoOutdoor to get some information about North Ridge, Phone number etc,  as their website appears under construction, For a month ?I have not heard from GoOutdoors for 3 weeks ( 10th July). Very poor service as I believe they own North Ridge.
11/08/2011 at 23:31

I have just sent Go Outdoors an e mail tonight to inform them that I will be writing a blog to inform consumers how bad Go Outdoors Customer Service is.  I recieved an e mail from Go Outdoors on 27/7/11 saying that my complaint regarding 'Go Outdoor Price Guarantee' would be delt with. 

This has been the third time I have e mailed Go Outdoor regarding my complaint since July 2011. If Customer Service at Go Outdoors do not correspond with my third e mail I will be sending an e mail to Traiding Standards as well as writing a blog about the appalling Customer Service I have recieved!

Johnstone

13/08/2011 at 20:38
Rob SMITH 3 wrote (see)
I bought a pair of North Ridge Men's Corrie eVent Waterproof Walking Boots from Go outdoors, they lasted 6 months then started to leak. Took them back to GoOutdoors to be told it was not a manufacturing fault and would probably not be covered by the guarantee. But would need to be sent away to be assessed. I was not happy with this and didn't leave my boots.I contacted GoOutdoor to get some information about North Ridge, Phone number etc,  as their website appears under construction, For a month ?I have not heard from GoOutdoors for 3 weeks ( 10th July). Very poor service as I believe they own North Ridge.

As far as I'm aware they are perfectly entitled to do that. I'd suggest you go back, ask to speak to a manager and give them the boots. Let them test them, you may actually get a result, either if the boots are faulty, or as a goodwill gesture. As GOF says, memrane lined boots are easily punctured, in fact I'd recommend always wearing gaiters with them to minimise the chance of this.
21/09/2011 at 21:43
Do not,under any circumstances touch the 'Corrie' Event boot.
My wife and I each bought a pair at the end of June. Mine did 20 miles of the Leicester Round,hardly the most challenging of environments,when the sole started to come away. Took them back to Loughborough and exchanged them. For a pair of Berghaus. We recently had a 2 week break in Scotland. My wife's boots lasted a total of approx 60 miles when they started shipping water. The paths we walked were good paths and grassy slopes.Thankfully, we're not into Munroe bagging.I conducted an experiment today,where I immersed the boots into a bowl of water. The water just over the rand. Within 20 minutes,the left boot was wet inside,the right boot was full to the level of the water in the bowl. Waterproof they are not. They will be going back as 'Not fit for purpose'
26/09/2011 at 19:33
As a follow up to the Corrie boot issue. Took them back today. My wife went to the checkout and said to the chap on the till "These boots leak" and before she had chance to finish he said "Like a sieve".Strikes me the lack of resistance says that they've had a few pairs back.
26/09/2011 at 19:42
I can't wait to start using mine!
27/09/2011 at 16:26
blzeebub wrote (see)
while North Ridge is also their own brand but at the higher end of the market

Has a good snigger.....

I quess that the operative word in that statement is "Higher" and judging by the rest of the thread about 1.5" "higher" than their 'Value for money' brand.

Have to admit looking at some of the North Ridge stuff it LOOKS ok but thats not the point is it!

07/11/2011 at 19:15
http://dp-creative.co.uk/6097/163109/gallery/north-ridge-product-guide
05/12/2011 at 21:03

i have just received a load of the kit for testing and will be taking it to Africa in january, watch this space and I will tell you how it gets on...or how i get on with it.

05/12/2011 at 21:06

My Corries have proved to be pretty decent cheap boots. Warm but not sweaty (if this makes any sense), waterproofing is not perfect but after 5 hours bogtrotting in wet conditions there was just a bit of dampness rather than flooded shoes to report.

They'll do the trick for easy walks.

07/12/2011 at 16:07
I have it on good authority that the North Ridge line of clothing is made by Gelert for Go Outdoors
21/12/2011 at 21:02
I have not purchased any North Ridge clothing but I have inspected it closely in Go Outdoors and the quality seems as good as any of the other brands available such as ME or Rab.

I have also noticed that they work with other companies such as Grivel. If you look at the North Ridge crampons and Ice Axe's you will notice they are basically Grivel products rebranded to an extent but the Grivel logo's can still be found and they are sold as 'being made by Grivel'.

I can only assume that most of the North Ridge is rebranded clothing made by major labels and using all the branded technologies you expect to find on expensive outdoor clothing.
1 to 20 of 57 messages