osprey argon : test under rain ? 70 or 85 L ?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
17/02/2008 at 15:43

Hello,

I am looking for a backpack for multi day trekking. I only went hiking for one day trips, so it s quite new for me !! I have read good reviews about osprey argon, but read negatives comments about test under rain, and durability (material too light?). I know argon series is recent, but does someone has already used this bag and can give some feedback ? Is a Marmot montisplane a better choice ?

I am wondering too about the capacity, I ll take a Large size, should I get a 70 or 85 (argon)? let s say I go with a tent for 2 people, a sleeping bag, cooking stuff and food for less than a week. what do you think ? I know how to pack for a one day trekking, but I guess leaving for weeks is completely different !

thanks in advance for your replies 

Olivier 

18/02/2008 at 11:28

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your interest in the Argon. I am not sure where you have read the negative review points about the Argon, as the Argon has had very little official testing in the outdoor press etc to date, the packs only just beginning to hit stores. However, I might be able to help answer a few of your questions for you.

Firstly, with regards to 'test under rain', am I right in presuming you are referring to the Argon's performance in the wet(?). The Argon is not designed to be full waterproof (the vast majority of backpacks on the market today are not classed as fully waterproof). Despite the Argon's materials being highly water resistant, it does not have sealed seams, therefore water can run into the pack through the seams. We would reccommend you use an Osprey raincover or waterproof backpack liner to ensure your gear inside stays dry during long-term exposure to rainfall.

With regards to durability, the Argon is built to the same exacting standards as the rest of our pack range. A combination of 315D High-Tenacity Cordura combined with 210D x 330D High-Tenacity Nylon has enabled us to make the Argon lighter (2.5kg) than its predecessor, but not compromise over durability or quality. All of our packs are thoroughly tested and refined during our design and development process to ensure they can withstand the rigours of their specified usage. We are confident that the Argon is highly durable and well suited to multi-day expedition backpacking and trekking.

Capacity of a rucksack is quite a subjective issue, being different for everyone. From the description of your usage, I would reccommend you look at the Argon 70, which should provide you with plenty of packing space for week-long treks.

Thanks again for your interest in the Osprey brand. I hope the above information is of some help to you.

Martin

18/02/2008 at 13:43

Hi Olivier,

Just a quick message re: the post above.

Having re-read what I wrote, I just wanted to make a few small changes to make sure what I put is not misleading in any way.

Firstly, the Argon has had plenty of 'in-house' testing by Osprey, it just hasn't had a lot of official testing in the public domain / outdoor press yet, as it is still a very new product for us. The design of the Argon is essentially an evolution of the Cresent series, with the same Re-Curve suspension system coupled with upgraded fabrics and features.  

Secondly, the fabrics used on the Argon can be classed as waterproof, not just water resistant. However, as I said, the seams on the Argon are not sealed, so as a product/design, it is not classed as waterproof and will still let water in through the seams.

Finally, the Argon 70 weighs in at 2.5kg, as opposed to the Crescent 70 which weighed in at 3.1kg. I didn't mean to suggest the Argon is a whole 2.5kg lighter than the Crescent.

Sorry if my first post was mis-leading at all. I hope the above helps to clarify what I wrote originally. Thanks.

Martin

25/02/2008 at 17:15
I am looking to  buy one of these but i can't seem to find one in the UK anywhere.  Does anyone know where i can get one or when they are coming here?
25/02/2008 at 17:59

I have the Crescent 70 (predecessor) and it is honestly the best pack I have ever bought!!! I have had Berghaus, Karrimor, Lowe Alpine etc. I switched to a Gregory Pack but swiftly replaced it with the Osprey. If they have managed to get it lighter with no loss of performance, so much the better.

The pack feels lighter than packs that are actually over 1kg's lighter. You hardly notice a fully laden, heavy pack - only when lifting the thing to put it on - once on it feels really secure.

Osprey packs are really well thought out pieces of kit. The hip belts are brilliant and really secure the pack in close, the heat molding can be done by machine or simply wearing the pack in for a while if you purchse from the internet. The adjustment options mean that you will get a pack that fits you exactly. The pack can be compressed down if carrying half loads - I will now use mine as a winter day pack. Attention to detail is faultless - right down to the little things like the easy open / close drawstring for when you have cold fingers.

I got mine from Cotswolds - they customised the pack for me so it fits like a dream. The guy in Cotswolds also uses Osprey packs and he obviously has the choice from all the other manufacturers packs on the market.

26/02/2008 at 08:36

Hi Thomas,

If you let me know whereabouts you are in the UK, I should be able to point you in the direction of an Argon stockist. Argons are currently making their way out to stores as we speak, so you should be able to get one from late feb/early march onwards.

Martin

05/03/2008 at 22:14

Thanks Martin for your answers.  I only saw argon backpack in mustard color (i live in paris, france), and i would like to have it in kelp. is mustard only for france, europe ?

olivier

06/03/2008 at 09:00

Hi Olivier,

Your best point of contact in France would be our distributors Sport Pulsion. You can reach them on the information below, and they should be able to answer your questions on Argon distribution and availability in France:

Tél. : 0033 450 46 50 50

E-mail : trek@sportpulsion.fr

I hope the above info is of some help.

Martin

19/03/2008 at 12:07

Hi Martin,

I saw this bag in Ellis Brigham in London and I liked it a lot - so much as I wanted to buy it, but I would like to have in Kelp, and not the Delta Blue, which unfortunately (as I found out) is the only color Ellis Brigham is stocking. 

Do you know where to get an Argon 70 in Kelp in the London area or phone/internet order?

Kind Regards

Christian 

19/03/2008 at 12:12
The few internet shops I have been able to find stocking the Argon 70 are all in Delta Blue - it looks like that is the only color to have come to the UK
19/03/2008 at 13:09

Hello Christian,

You could try talking to Blacks Outdoor in the London area if you are looking to buy the Argon specifically in Kelp. 

I hope the above helps.

Martin

19/03/2008 at 22:59

I haven't asked in a store yet, but I have never seen them stock Osprey - and they don't have any Osprey on their website.

I will still ask though - but you think they can get one?

Christian

25/03/2008 at 08:38

Hello Christian,

A select few Blacks Stores do stock Osprey Packs and should be a good place to help you find the Argon in Kelp.

Martin

25/03/2008 at 16:30

Blacks up kensington high st stock Osprey, picked myself up a Kestrel 38 there friday. They also had some larger packs by Osprey but I'm not so clued upa s to be able to identify if theyre what you're after.

Roger 

18/06/2008 at 13:48
Hi all,

Does anybody know of any stores in the Birmingham area that stock the Argon (ideally 85)?

Cheers

Andrew
18/06/2008 at 13:58

Hi Andy,

Your best bets for the Argon 85 would be either Snow & Rock in Birmingham or Ellis Brigham's in Tamworht (snowd dome). I would recommend you contact these store by phone first to check stock and availability at these stores to avoid any disappointment / wasted journeys!

Hope this info helps!

Martin

Osprey Packs

20/06/2008 at 14:52

Martin

Spotted this thread. Am really interested in acquiring two heavy duty top notch bergens to replace a military PLCE and an ageing Berghaus Roc. Have looked at a number of options including the Osprey Argons (85 and 110), Berghaus Vulcan and the Karrimor range. The Roc is out on loan to my cousin. We both have been hitting the Cairngorms recently doing point to points. Both are on the market for new bergens. The Argon range interests me but have a number of questions:

How durable is the outer. The Roc has seen some brutal service all over the place and has survived heat, rain, snow you name it... Its primarily cordura but has stood the test of time well.

Both systems (Roc and PLCE) get stuffed full of kit. I've read that Osprey load carrying systems are the most comfortable on the market - how does the Argon compare to the others I've been looking at ?

I've got a snugpack antartica II sleeping system (can be a tad bulky) - will it fit into the baggie vault at the base of the sack?  

Looks as though a kip mat gets secured to the base of the sack as standard means of carrying?

The Daylite packs - how are they attached to the main pack? Are they fitted to the sides ? If so am I correct in saying you could add two to the main body giving an extra 26 litres capacity. Is this practical ? This could swing me more to the 85 litre capacity bergen. 

21/06/2008 at 12:23
Cheers Martin, got one from Snow & Rock today, looks a great pack!
04/08/2008 at 18:39

I am looking to try and get my husband the Argon 85 in Delta Blue (I am getting the Xenon 70 in terracotta which I have had to have specially ordered in as most of the UK stockists only have the blue one). I was told today by one company that they aren't being released in Delta Blue in the U unitl "spring '09"... is this true or is there some way I can find and order this item in the UK??

I used to own the Luna pack (until it was stolen while travelling arund Europe) and I can't speak highly enough of these packs!!! I am quite petite myself so getting a pack that is fully customizable for your exact bodyshape was briliant. I am excited about the new ones as they are a little lighter and the same general specs.

Thanks in advance.

Cian

06/08/2008 at 11:05

Hi Cian,

To confirm your question, the Argon 85 is currently available in Delta Blue.

A few of our stockist carry the Argon 85 including Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham. However if you are specifically looking for the Argon 85 in Delta Blue, I would reccommend you try Mountain Trek & Travel Ltd. in Guildford. I have included their contact details below for you;

4-7 North Street

Guildford

GU1 4AA

(01483) 577793

I hope the above info helps you out ok. Thanks for your interest in Osprey packs.

Martin

Osprey Packs

1 to 20 of 28 messages