Pillow....

A good nights sleep!

1 to 20 of 134 messages
27/01/2011 at 18:57
What do people here use for a pillow when camping?

I'm doing as close to a light weight wild camp as I'm ever likely to get this weekend i.e. basic gear is 2 man tent, RidgeRest, Reg NeoAir, Ghost Sleeping bag, MSR Reactor & 2.5 Ltr pot all in a 55ltr waterproof rucksack which is a very tight squeeze with clothes and food.

I've tried pretty much everything from the blow-up type pillow to using spare clothes to even buying a cheapo real pillow (not good!). Have found that most of my bad nights sleep seem to come from what I'm using for a pillow.

Any ideas?
27/01/2011 at 19:07

The Montbell UL is the best pillow I have ever used; the newish Exped looks a close second.

The issue I have with using it with a NeoAir short is height of pillow - use clothes in stuffsack to add height at the mo and wrap all in a cinched down windtop. Works well.

Just need to figure out a means of using the ULs toggles to attach to non MB mats so the 'pillow wandering' is eliminated. Rivets seems like the best idea yet I am not sure where the airtight bit begins and ends on my xped and neoAir mats...

27/01/2011 at 19:08

Exped pillow for me... seems to stay under my head as opposed to sliding away. Far better than other blow-ups I've tried.

Jeez, that sounds rude

27/01/2011 at 19:24
The Montbell does it for me these days too. Direct on the mat if I'm using a full length mat, propped up on some clothes off the end if I'm on a shorter one. And only partly inflated.
27/01/2011 at 19:25
Spare clothes, (some times on top of rucsac, if too low).

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

27/01/2011 at 19:58

Clicky

This is what i got when i decided £50 to import a Montbell UL Pillow was a bit OTT..only about 75 grams as well

Edited: 27/01/2011 at 19:59
27/01/2011 at 20:16

I've tried pretty much everything from the blow-up type pillow to using spare clothes to even buying a cheapo real pillow (not good!). Have found that most of my bad nights sleep seem to come from what I'm using for a pillow.

Any ideas?

El Manana wrote (see)

Clicky

This is what i got when i decided £50 to import a Montbell UL Pillow was a bit OTT..only about 75 grams as well

I must be one of the lightest sleepers around and have the same problem,there's no point me saying what ive used in the past cos they're all crap. So thanks for starting this thread!

I think the poundland job looks a good place to start cheers el manana.It cant be any worse than the stuff I've tried.

27/01/2011 at 20:16

I bought something similar from Tesco but in the end just reverted back to using spare clothes as i use a very thin pillow at home anyway.

I don't know if you've heard of Goosefeet, they're a cottage manufacturer in the US who started off making Down Bootees, I have a pair of the bootees as does Metric Kate who posts here, very keenly priced and very good performance. They now make down pillows in  2 sizes each avaliable in 3 different fill weights with prices ranging from $28 to $42

http://goosefeet.webs.com/products.htm

Edited: 27/01/2011 at 20:17
27/01/2011 at 20:19
I've got a Vango one but it slips all the times, I have in inflatable Gelert one which is a bit better. Annoyingly, I wanted to get one of those reversable bags from Alpkit with fluff inside that you stuff with clothes.
27/01/2011 at 20:23
Moonlight Shadow wrote (see)
I've got a Vango one but it slips all the times, I have in inflatable Gelert one which is a bit better. Annoyingly, I wanted to get one of those reversable bags from Alpkit with fluff inside that you stuff with clothes.
I have stuffed drybags with clothes and wrapped it in a fleece. Still got a crap nights sleep.
27/01/2011 at 20:27

I use this currently

clicky

other than that the Ajungilak big yellow peanut

27/01/2011 at 20:31
I use my manservant

My Arse

27/01/2011 at 20:32
Your hands?
27/01/2011 at 20:44
I am enjoying all this pillow talk
27/01/2011 at 20:53
27/01/2011 at 21:07

Some one had to bring it down!!!

WHY!

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

27/01/2011 at 21:45
Law of averages.
27/01/2011 at 22:03
Right, so no killer answer then!

Not 100% surprised that I'm not the only one having this 'issue'. A number of people have mentioned the clothes solution and it tends to be the one I use but find that either I'm moving my head enough in the night to disperse the clothes or that they aren't the right shape/size stay under my head because I always seem to wake up with a sore neck and the clothes scattered.

The blow up pillow is ether too hard or too soft or ends up punctured. I borrowed a Thermarest pillow but found the filling horrible to lay on and it was a bugger to pack. Mont-Bell looked interesting but it appears to be specific to their sleeping mats its also a blow-up!

27/01/2011 at 22:13

I aim for lightweight, and have spent a lot of time and money towards doing so, but i won't skimp on a pillow, it's one of these for me.

Still get a weekends kit in a 35 litre bag so can't realy complain about carrying one luxury bulky item.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

27/01/2011 at 22:16

I generally have a spare long sleeved base layer with me. I use it as a pillow case to keep whatever I stuff inside in place. My pillow usually consists folded waterproofs, walking trousers, something squashy as the last layer. Put the whole package inside the baselayer keeping any pokey zips pointing down, put an elastic band round the bottom to stop everything falling out and tie the sleeves round it if necessary to help keep it's shape.

It's not half bad and the closest thing to a proper pillow I've come up with. If I need more height I put my pack under it or under the end of the mat.

My Arse

1 to 20 of 134 messages