Recommendations for a small alcohol stove?

1 to 20 of 21 messages
29/04/2012 at 14:39
When it comes to camping stoves I have absolutely no clue, in the past I've always just been to eat cold on multiday walks and drink water.

Now though I'm just looking around for something small and light that which can boil water for about 2 cups of tea. Looking around it seems that alot of people recommend small alcohol burning stoves for this. Can anyone let me know if alcohol stoves are enough for this, or would I need something a little meatier? Like a solid fuel stove or something.
edh
29/04/2012 at 14:47
edh
edh
29/04/2012 at 15:16

Damn this user-sensitive advertising

Reported.

edh
29/04/2012 at 15:23
Special offer cancelled...

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

29/04/2012 at 16:00
Thanks Jon
29/04/2012 at 16:22

Daniel, i use various types of meths stoves all year round without problem, the one key ingredient is a good windshield, without one forget it, simple aluminium foil will suffice.

As for the stove, if you're looking at making one they don't come much easier than the cat can stove.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

29/04/2012 at 17:36
A pie, for when the inn laws come over. ?

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

29/04/2012 at 17:49
Daniel, unless you've got you heart set on an alcohol (meths) stove, I wouldn't bother with one for day walks. The main advantage of meths is its light weight and this isn't that important on day walks.

Also, if you're just stopping for a lunch break, you probably don't want to wait for a meths stove as they are quite slow. Although Jefboils come in for a bit of stick on here, there is nothing quicker and easier for a quick brew.
29/04/2012 at 18:29
Relatively slow yes, but i can knock up 500ml in 6-7 minutes with no problem, and i'd much rather carry a sub 200gr kit than a JB no matter the circumstances, i am a die hard meths afficianado though.

29/04/2012 at 18:48

doesn't the OP state multiday walks anyway?

using alcohol, that extra 4 or even 6 minutes of your time (over a JetBoil) waiting you can be doing something (anything!) else, and not be worrying when to turn the gas off.

Yep

windshields are essential

Caldera Cone is  most efficient (I use homemade from Captain Paranoias 'Clone'  print program - see Zen Stoves conical page)

I didn't rate the various Cat stoves I've 'made' and tried - I prefer a stove that doesn't need priming.

Homemade, easiest is the Red Bull Chimney stove (Zen stoves gives details)

After a lot of tinkering with various stoves and designs, I now mainly use a Starlyte stove

Edited: 29/04/2012 at 18:52
30/04/2012 at 01:59
Mole wrote (see)

doesn't the OP state multiday walks anyway?

using alcohol, that extra 4 or even 6 minutes of your time (over a JetBoil) waiting you can be doing something (anything!) else, and not be worrying when to turn the gas off.

Yep

windshields are essential

Caldera Cone is  most efficient (I use homemade from Captain Paranoias 'Clone'  print program - see Zen Stoves conical page)

I didn't rate the various Cat stoves I've 'made' and tried - I prefer a stove that doesn't need priming.

Homemade, easiest is the Red Bull Chimney stove (Zen stoves gives details)

After a lot of tinkering with various stoves and designs, I now mainly use a Starlyte stove

Sorry, yes, I misread it. In which case I would also go with a Caldera Cone if the OP wants an alcohol stove.
30/04/2012 at 03:35
Well its only literally for boiling water for tea or coffee so boiling time isn't really a concern. I mainly choose alcohol because it seemed to be the lightest option in terms of both the equipment and fuel. I read somewhere that a 500ml bottle of meths would brew about 1L of water a day over a week, is that roughly accurate?
30/04/2012 at 04:27

It's relative to the meths system you have Daniel, with the cone clone set ups i use i can boil 300ml for a cuppa with 12ml, and 500ml with as little as 18ml or so depending on conditions, i have 3 different set ups though, all home made, i've no idea how these figures match up to a commercially purchased option like the Trangia or the stuff tinny sells etc so can only go on my set up.

It's a niche thing that requires a certain amount of practice before you head out relying on it imo, other options are far easier unless you're really into lightweight long weekends at all costs, and beyond long weekends gas becomes much more user friendly imo. 

Have a play at making a couple of burners and see how it goes. 

Edited: 30/04/2012 at 04:29
30/04/2012 at 04:41
Aye I might just do that, some of the DIY ones look interesting. Cheers.

A quick related question about kettles for anyone who might know. Since shiny surfaces radiate heat and dark ones absorb it, am I correct in thinking that it would be best to have a kettle with a dark matt outside and a shiny metal interior to maximise heat transference. Or is my logic screwed up (it usually is these days!). This is more about fuel efficiency rather than boiling time.

I was thinking of getting a small cheap aluminium kettle and perhaps coating the underside with that sort of heat resistant black paint used for exhausts.

Sorry if any of this sounds stupid
30/04/2012 at 09:18
That Starlyte stove - can you fold away/remove the stand legs? Do you need a special dropper bottle to fill it, or can you just pour in meths?
30/04/2012 at 09:29
the legs of the stand just push in/out. its just thin rod. I mostly take them out as I use a cone as stand, if Im taking a smaller diameter evernew cup too, I leave the stand on so as to be able to use that to heat water.

just pour meths in. He supplies a medicine cup with it.

my current setup:

www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/50104/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/1/sp/

stove is modified a little- glued on a base to make flame gap better for that cone ( which was made for a different stove). a bonus is that if I turn stove upside down it holds a burning esbit tab nicely too
Edited: 30/04/2012 at 09:40
30/04/2012 at 14:45
Don't bother blacking the bottom of your kettle - won't make any significant difference to efficiency compared to decent windshield etc. and you'll just end up with a painty smelling kettle - plus you have to buy the paint...

Evernew burner is a nice, if expensive, option -but yes, cat-food tin stoves hard to beat if coupled with diy caldera to match whatever pot size you're using... fun to experiment with too
edh
30/04/2012 at 15:27
The Evernew burner is a well-made little jewel - and really inefficient
edh
30/04/2012 at 16:42

another vote for the CAT STOVE ...I dont wait for proper priming whilst I hold pan above flame, then place down "directly" on top of stove - no pot support needed

I dont recommend too narrow a pot though like a Heiny (beer can).

but any normal sized pan is fine. I use kitchen foil doubled over into a "beanie" shape, lasts a year or two for me & again virtually FREE

Andy Skurka uses one, among millions of other people. (the stove that is)

for day walks a thermos might be better though?  

by Lilo

Edited: 30/04/2012 at 16:43
30/04/2012 at 17:20

millions?

I don't seem to get on with the CAT stoves

I have tried Skurkas version and some from 2 other sites, including printing out templates. (different hole patterns) I was also nerdy enough to do timings for boiling and fuel efficiency (which I've also done for many other stoves)

I didn't rate it really. They often went out as the pan gets put on,  need to wait for up to a minute for priming.  The double row of holes version was fast(when it got going)  but not efficient, and the single row efficient but slow  and easy to blow out

And,  to me, sideburners  seem wrong with narrow pans, as the centre of the pan doesn't get heated - a Catfood can is relatively wide. I'd rather have a concentrated flame 

(and I don't reckon they'd work that well with a cone)

1 to 20 of 21 messages