Resoling Walking Boots.

19 messages
17/07/2008 at 08:13

When my walking boots are a perfect fit I tend to be reluctant to change to a different brand/model when they wear out.

As having such a boot resoled would seem to be the solution it would be interesting to know if any members have had difficulty getting a particular brand/model resoled.

17/07/2008 at 08:25
I use Scarpa SL's and take them to my nearest Tiso shop. They then send them off to their shop in Leith (Edinburgh) where the chap there repairs them. He makes a good job costing around £45, cheaper than buying a new pair at around £150. Also I don't have to pay postage charges to send them off to other repair firms.
17/07/2008 at 09:11

Also had a good resole service from Tisos on my old Scarpa Fitzroys.

Pete. 

17/07/2008 at 11:32

Thanks for welcome info.  Do they use vibram or their own brand?

17/07/2008 at 11:47

I've used these guys in the past:

Feet First 

tmm
17/07/2008 at 15:03

Hi Colin,

I've used LSR a few times. They have resoled Scapa SL's, Manta's and Alps for me and my dad. They used to trade as Shoecare.

As you can see they use an OEM sole so you maintain the original characteristics of the boot.

Full Refurbishment. £45.
This excellent service is available for any make or model.
• Re-sole using original sole unit if available or a sole compatible with your boots if original is unobtainable • Mid-sole rebuilt or replaced if necessary • Replacement of up to two lace hooks or D rings (without damaging waterproof linings wherever possible) • Failed stitching repaired (without damaging waterproof linings wherever possible) • Re-secure sidewall rands • Re-secure midsole • New footbeds fitted • New laces fitted • Finally, a coating of both conditioner and waterproofing agent will be applied to help keep the uppers in pristine condition.

17/07/2008 at 17:05

Thanks Ben and to everyone else for the info re shops/firms that resole.

Does anyone know of a top brand that CAN'T be resoled?  Save a lot of gnashing of teeth later, Horace!

17/07/2008 at 18:19

From my experience, OK a few years ago. I found that it all depends on the uppers. If they are still in good condition then fine, but if the leather has started to "sag" then they dont come back the same, plus I found the new soles outlasted the uppers, and ended up buying new boots before the soles wear out.

Probably me, and the way i used the boots.

Ratio of resole : new boot price still remains the same though!

17/07/2008 at 19:10

I took my Meindl Burmas to the shoe and boot repair shop in Mold and the chap fitted an excellent pair of Vibram soles. The boots which were four years old looked like brand new when I got them back a week later. I was amazed that he only charged £25! I have since had another older pair of Zamberlaan's resoled and the price was again 25. I have no connection with the shop, but can well recommend them for quality and good value.

Dawn 

17/07/2008 at 19:12

Thanks Dazz

I've often wondered if you get a feeling of insecurity with a resoled boot.  Like a flying sole suddenly hitting the bloke in front of you.

17/07/2008 at 19:17

Thanks Dawn!   £25! Now you're talking my language but I think this must be the exception rather than the rule!

Colin

17/07/2008 at 19:39

Hi Colin

If you want I can dig out the ticket and then you could weigh up the cost of postage and see if it would be cheaper to send to Mold for the repairs. The soles are excellent nothing loose, just like new.

Dawn 

17/07/2008 at 20:59

Thanks Dawn but as I'm feeling a bit flush I'm thinking about investing in some Asolo Flames.  Resoling is my last option if I can't get a new boot that will fit. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Colin

21/08/2008 at 08:55

Hi Dawn

Would by any chance this be the guy you used for re-soling?

Step In Shoe Repairs > Key Cutting And Shoe Repairs in Mold 

Tel: 01352 753247 - 3 The Cross, Mold, Clwyd

Many thanks

Andrea

Edited: 21/08/2008 at 08:56
10/03/2009 at 09:07

I used Craggs Shoe Repairs - they have an online site - it cost £45 for a vibram unit and they're great.

10/03/2009 at 10:11

Try you local cobbler to see what they do.

Ive had my old Scarpa boots done twice, last time about 3 years ago it cost £30 for a Vibram sole which I think is better than the original Scarpa one.

10/03/2009 at 10:36
I wear down the heels of my boots quickly when the sole is still sound. I take them to my local shoe repairer and he cuts off the heel and glues a new one. It works very well although the different tread patterns make my footprints look slightly odd when walking through snow.

My man has also repaired conventional boots with Vibram soles for me but he won't attempt anything fancy.
Edited: 10/03/2009 at 10:37
24/03/2009 at 22:40
alt berg boots in richmond north yorkshire resole various boots to find out  which specific boots ,cost etc visit alt-berg website
22/09/2010 at 10:15

Unfortunately, Step In Shoe Repairs at Mold is no longer an option.

I called them to ask whether they could fit a replacement Vibram sole, and they said that they could, but would have to see the boots before they could say how much they would cost.  So I made the trip to Mold, only to be told (despite what they had said when I phoned them) that they could no longer get Vibram soles, and now fitted "Loggers" sold.  The tread on the Logger sole that they showed me was little deeper than the worn down tread on the boots that I need to have resold! 

Your say
email image
19 messages