Room for three?

Looking for a three person tent

1 to 20 of 26 messages
16/10/2011 at 13:48
I am looking for a Three person tent. Not too heavy as I will end up carrying when the wife and the dogs follow me into the hills. Needs two doors as well. Any suggestions?
16/10/2011 at 14:05

Hilleberg Kaitum 3.  The only downside is the price: do sit down before you check it...

clicky for my OM review.  I haven't changed my mind since I wrote it, or found anything I'd sooner have spent the money on.

Pete.

edh
16/10/2011 at 14:32
Shangri-La 5; got the Hex myself and would not want 3 in it.

Big Agnes Copper Spur 3; about 2kgs?

Tarptent Hogback.

And take a look on Moontrail.com (some not easy to get in the UK).
edh
16/10/2011 at 15:56

Bit of a wide open question

What sort of conditions are you anticipating camping in? How long are your trips likely to be? How much are you willing to spend? What do you consider a reasonable weight? Are you a "dome tent or nothing" sort of guy?

Its worth noting that many tents just have a single door to save on weight (and possibly cost of manufacture). Something to consider; would one single big porch be worse than two little ones for you?

16/10/2011 at 17:23
Peter Clinch wrote (see)

Hilleberg Kaitum 3.  The only downside is the price: do sit down before you check it...

clicky for my OM review.  I haven't changed my mind since I wrote it, or found anything I'd sooner have spent the money on.

Pete.

I have an Akto so know the score. I need it for the wife and two small dogs, hence the two porches. So been looking at Vango and the like.
16/10/2011 at 18:28

I assume you will have the dog in the main bit with you - rather you than me on wet days.

Think the Vango 3 man are quite weighty

If you were looking to put the dog in the porch, the the Wild Country Duolite tourer has ample space for dog and gear in the porch. 

Oh ! Conveniently I am looking to get rid of mine if you are interested, only been used 4 times and well looked after.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Wild_Country/Backpacking_Tents/Duolite_Tourer_Green.html

16/10/2011 at 20:04
tarptent scarp 2
16/10/2011 at 20:35
Chewie wrote (see)

I assume you will have the dog in the main bit with you - rather you than me on wet days.

I'm thinking the combination of claws and groundsheet isn't necessarily going to be a good one either.

17/10/2011 at 09:23

tarptent scarp 2

Room for 3?

The Hogback should do 3 easily, but zero effective porch space might not be very hound-compatible.

17/10/2011 at 10:32
there have been a lot of large new hillebergs on ebay lately---sold prices---nallo 3 £237---keron 4 gt £499----nammatj 2 gt £311-----genuine???
17/10/2011 at 10:41
Trailstar ?
17/10/2011 at 12:58
Hilleberg would be nice. The wife wants the dogs there as well
17/10/2011 at 15:27

How many dogs? what size are they? will you be letting them into the inner?

I've used my Scarp 2 with 2 adults and a dog (Border Collie) and still had loads of room. Gear in one porch, cooking in the other.

17/10/2011 at 15:44
This is a situation where Jack Russel terriers and a very slim wife prove their worth
17/10/2011 at 16:31

17/10/2011 at 17:04

Lightwave do some 3 man specific tents which are also available with an XT version which would be light, would allow lots of room for the dogs and have a door either side of the extension.

Similar to the Hilleberg suggestions though, for your requirements they would be spot on but they will make your wallet weep.

Love mine. Build quality is superb and the performance has always been first class. Pre and post sales customer service was also excellent.

If you're going to use the tent loads it may be worth a Hilleberg/Lightwave style investment, if its just for occassional use or you fear possible damage from the dogs then obviously look elsewhere.

TFB

17/10/2011 at 17:58
I've been camping with my wife and my dog (32kg black lab) in an MLD pyramid shelter, got on fine. Would want to camp on a summit with it but I've been very happy with it

I wildcamp with just the dog and me and its positively palatial inside!
17/10/2011 at 20:20
lentenrose wrote (see)
there have been a lot of large new hillebergs on ebay lately---sold prices---nallo 3 £237---keron 4 gt £499----nammatj 2 gt £311-----genuine???

I've been watching those. There's no way of telling if they're legitimate... contacting successful buyers isn't really practical on ebay anymore, and the sellers obviously won't pipe up and say 'yeah, they're all fake'.

I've opted to err on the side of caution and not bother. 

And besides, I'm one of those weirdos who wants a red tent, and all the super cheap ones have been green

17/10/2011 at 21:09
i emailed hilleberg about the number of low priced new tents on ebay but never had a reply----regards lr
17/10/2011 at 21:30

I have a good Vangot 300 that seems to do the job for 2 plus dogs. I think it is on there website

It has a door either side too

“Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”

Edited: 17/10/2011 at 21:50
1 to 20 of 26 messages