SatMap ProShield: Problems Anyone?

9 messages
01/05/2011 at 14:28

Just to get things straight- I'm a long-term SatMap fan: had an Active 10 since the week they came out and love it to bits.

That said, I'm currently distinctly under-impressed.  I invested £40 odd in one of the silicon/plastic protective cases- the ProShield.  Think they came out last autumn.  The write-up looked promising, with additional levels of protection etc.

In reality, the damned thing rendered the joystick control effectively unusable; it would move in only one direction, which made things interesting.  The case also prevented use of most of the controls while wearing gloves [and frequently even without them].  I sent it back [after some debate] for SatMap to look at it: they said they'd had no similar problems reported.  No news from them yet.

I just wondered if anyone else had had any similar sorts of experiences with this bit of kit?

01/05/2011 at 20:31
Received mine a week or two ago. Cant say I have noted any problems that are major. Yes, the buttons and joystick are slightly harder to use but nothing that I couldn't live with.

However, I can see that the cover would become more or less impossible to use with gloved hands (I don't wear gloves so that isn't going to affect me).

Maybe they have changed the manufacturing tolerances slightly since they first came out?
06/05/2011 at 18:42
I have used a Satmap with the silicone cover a couple of times nowand though I didnt have any problems using it with gloves on  (as I wear fingerless) but a couple of times the joystick got stuck and kept scrolling. I can imagine also that it will be a real pain to change the batteries on a wild and windy day as it is a bit fiddly to say the least. Saying all that, I am the kind of person who likes a case for everything so I couldnt resist it and it really does fit  the bill for protection .
21/05/2011 at 11:37

A quick update: SatMap have restored my confidence in their company by swiftly offering a full refund on my ProShield.

I'd still be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with this bit of kit.

25/02/2012 at 11:52
   has anyone any further experience of the proshield since the last post in 2011??? also any one used the bike mount for the active 10??  cheers in advance
26/02/2012 at 09:23

I don't use the proshield. I put it in an aquapac. Much faster and 100 % waterproof. Not shockproof, but it's round my neck and in a pocket anyway.

http://s4.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/51321/gallery/img_3401.jpg?width=242&height=350&mode=max

27/02/2012 at 11:09
What size is your aquapac, kiers?
27/02/2012 at 11:17
That one is a small, which I bought for my phone, but the satmap fits in it fine. I was using a medium for it before. If it's not raining I just take it out and clip the biner to the red loop you can see threaded through the corner, then it goes back in the pocket.That little red loop will also poke out the black padded case supplied with the satmap. Cheers.
27/02/2012 at 11:21
Ta
Your say
email image
9 messages