Tent colour - wild camping

1 to 20 of 40 messages
10/02/2009 at 15:29

I'm sure i read somewhere that people were being advised to cut the guy lines of brightly coloured tents found wild camping in Snowdonia. I may be going totally mad, but I'm pretty sure i read it in an article on this site. Does anyone know where to find it, as I haven't had any luck so far.

cheers
Ian

10/02/2009 at 15:36

eh?

well, you need trev for links.  but really?  some sort of militant fashion police expanding into the great outdoors?  what on earth was that about?  does it cover people in neon jackets too - are you supposed to sneak up and cut their sleeves off?

10/02/2009 at 15:38
May not have been this site - the article was pretty ancient as well. I'm sure i remember reading recently an article that was very pro "natural" coloured tents and spoke about either making a point of telling people to move on, or cutting their guy lines in protest. I tried to find the article to show someone today and could i find it? i could I heck...
10/02/2009 at 15:41

There's nothing much natural about modern tents! Why stop at unnatural colours and just cut the guy lines of anything that isn't made of buffalo skin & hemp cordage...

10/02/2009 at 15:41
i think bennachie may have had a conversation 'recently' about the national park 'banning' red tents...
10/02/2009 at 15:45

You'd have to get one of the coppers on here to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that legally, that would constitute 'criminal damage', so I can't see anyone official condoning it.

Well, not 'officially'..

10/02/2009 at 15:47
John Burley wrote (see)

There's nothing much natural about modern tents! Why stop at unnatural colours and just cut the guy lines of anything that isn't made of buffalo skin & hemp cordage...

because... in a 'natural' manner i would skin the offender who did that to my tent, dry out strips of their skin, and twist them into new guy ropes.
10/02/2009 at 15:48

It may have been Fossil Bluff's witty spoof article at the beginning of the windy thread

10/02/2009 at 16:33

It doesn't matter where you camp....

GREEN!

10/02/2009 at 16:35
Fossil Bluff wrote (see)

You do realise that red tents are banned in Snowdonia National Park, as part of a cleaner wales campaign in 2008 dont you?

Taken from the Times last week:

"As part of the Welsh national drive for a cleaner countryside, the Snowdonia National Park Authority have taken the unpresidented step of banning bright and colourful tents on the mountainside from 15th january 2008.

The unusual step was declared in 'The way forward - Cleaner Wales' 2008 business plan released today by SNPA. Branded by some as policing the unpoliceable, the measure has met a great deal of support from locals and visiting mountaineers alike who claim that the visual influence of countryside users if extremely important.

"We can all do our part in making the countryside a visually quiter place" said Dave Jones from Bethgelert "Its about time something like this was done to limit the visual impact on our fantastic and challenging mountains".

Plans to limit colourful tents will only apply to so called 'wild camping' out on the mountainside, normal 'paying' campsites may accept any colour of tent because the visual intrusion is contained in a small defined area.

Policing methods will include ranger patrols and a series of lectures at hostels to encourage peer group auditing with campers being encouraged to cut the guy lines and bend the tent pegs of red and yellow tents that they see pitched on the hill side".

10/02/2009 at 16:38
I think the spelling mistakes (unpresidented, Bethgelert) are a bit of a give-away...
10/02/2009 at 16:39
Shurely not
10/02/2009 at 16:43

... I wouldn't expect the Times to know how to spell Beggdeggeldeetert anyway... you'd have to leave London to see signs with 'ddg' in the middle...

10/02/2009 at 16:45

........ and the Snowdonia National Park Authority has no President, so all its policies are unpresidented.

I make that FB 2, MK 0.

10/02/2009 at 17:06
I'd expect someone attacking bright tents to be pretty drab in appearance themselves.  This would be a positive boon when trying to hide their body.
10/02/2009 at 17:13
i can confirm that wurz is correct.
10/02/2009 at 18:22

Question, am I ok with a green and black tent, but with flourescent orange guylines? Will they cut my tent and bend my poles instead of cut my guys and bend my pegs? - Worried from up norf.

BTW wouldn't put it past "The Welsh", I mean it wasn't long ago that they were burning buildings because they spoke English or somat like that. Fils en Glyndwr (sons of Glenda Jackson or something like that, of course why the Welsh would use French in their name)

Of course FB is just FB so we can ignore his tent colour based warbles and get the tie-dye ministry of sound tents out for the next meet. My tent is in that rather natty grey cammo pattern, got my hoody to match too. I heard they also do the cammo pattern in pink and orange for the gurlies. Unfortunately not in the baby blue that is "fashionable" for the lasses at the mo.

Anyway, off to Scotland in a week, got my Flag of St George tent ready (and a place booked in a B&B for when it mysteriously becomes shredded while I'm at the pub).

11/02/2009 at 01:21
Classic FB Windy Blox that is!
Edited: 11/02/2009 at 01:21
11/02/2009 at 01:22

It doesn't matter where you camp....

GREEN! - Wrote Tim.

I'm with you on that one Tim!

11/02/2009 at 04:07
Why not just ban anyone not wearing TA camo gear from walking on the hill incase it offends anyone. What a load of b******! IME, anyone taking the effort to wild camp (at altitude at least) looks after he hill, and it can only be a benefit to be able to see your tent in bad conditions if you do serious all year mountaineering. Who is going to spend hundreds on a new tent for colour, when they're designed that way for a reason?

Should check for myself, but I always felt there was some kind of altitude rule.... maybe not..?

1 to 20 of 40 messages