TNF zip in fleece question

5 messages
PJQ
29/04/2012 at 22:24
Does anyone know which fleece jacket The North Face make which zips into compatible outer shells but where the inner of the fleece sleeves are made of a (non fleece) lining that makes it easier to put the jacket on and off?

My North face downpour jacket is fine as an outer layer but having tried all the off the shelf TNF fleeces, once they are zipped inside the outer layer, the jacket becomes a mare to take on and off as the fleece's sleeves actually make it very difficult not to pull the fleece out of the end of the sleeves of the outer layer!

My other half has a similar Berghaus jacket where the inner of the fleece sleeves are lined with a polyester type material that makes it easy to take on and off as her arms slip through them very easily.

Just wondered if there was a specific TNF fleece that was the same?

PS: Hope that makes sense!!
30/04/2012 at 10:35
This may be pointing oput the obvious but in my experience all the jackets I have had with a zip-in system there were attachment points for the fleece at the cuffs inside the jacket to stop them being pulled up when taking the jacket off. Have you looked for any attachements inside the sleeve of the shell and around the cuffs of the fleece?
30/04/2012 at 10:57

once they are zipped inside the outer layer, the jacket becomes a mare to take on and off

So don't zip them in...

Seriously, you really don't lose anything much, and since your shell moves over your fleece more easily there's much less endency for your inner layers to ruck up.

PJQ
30/04/2012 at 11:29

Yes I have made sure that the cuff fixing points are secured but there's a lot of play in them so the fleece tends to travel further than the end of the sleeve before it starts to pull back.

Would prefer to zip it in as I also use it as a winter jacket in Scandinavia where I travel to regularly. Taking one on and off on aeropalnes and trains is easier if you have to do it once.

I have contacted TNF directly to ask the same question...awaiting reply and not holding breath!

30/04/2012 at 13:04

> Taking one on and off on aeropalnes and trains is easier if you have to do it once.

I simply grab hold of both cuffs and pull my arm out of both sleeves at once if I want to take off both fleece and waterproof.

Zip-in fleeces are pretty pointless, adding unnecessary weight and cost, leaving a cold strip down the front, and making the fleece a loose fit.  Possibly okay for dog-walking, but pointless for outdoor use.

Your say
email image
5 messages