27/02/2012 at 21:12

Montane lite-speed..... 

27/02/2012 at 21:35
Yep, accept no substitute...
27/02/2012 at 21:47
Paramo Fuera good hood and hard wearing
Mur
27/02/2012 at 22:18
Another vote for the lite-speed. I gave my Fuera away it was so bad.

Mur
27/02/2012 at 22:28

Since he said ultralight the Fuera is definetly disqualified To be honest if we're taking it seriously then even the light speed isn't qualifying as too 'heavy'.

This is montanes UL hooded option. There's some even lighter(!) Montbell thing about I think? That TNF Verto(?) one too. Or PHD do a similar very basic, light one.

If you allow things just the 'wrong' side of 100g, RAB Cirrus or Pattaguici's Houdini etc.

If roughly the same weight as the lite speed is in fact OK - and it probably should be for a lot of things - then there's some more things.

27/02/2012 at 22:39

Weight/bulk aside, I do consider my Fuera better in every aspect to my Lite Speed and quite happily use it for my modest forays in the hills.

SD
27/02/2012 at 22:51
Martin I think you might be thinking of the Montbell UL Thermawrap which will stop the wind but it really replaces a fleece as it insulates. It is a great piece of kit and warm, also good for sleeping in when cold, 9 oz from memory. There is a lighter one the Montbell UL inner down jkt at 7oz. Both the dogs dangly bits
27/02/2012 at 23:37
Surely the Montbell one is the Tachyon Anorak: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2303218

Which, incidentally, is not made of tachyons and is not an anorak.
27/02/2012 at 23:43
It would be one strange piece of kit if it was made of tachyions...
28/02/2012 at 04:41
Gave my Fuera away too,flappy piece of crap

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

28/02/2012 at 05:27
I think about Montane light-speed and Rab Cirrus but probably I choose Montane becouse RAB is made from Pertex exuilibrium and it is not too so durable as microlight?
28/02/2012 at 07:08

Rab Cirrus. The jacket version.

Wear my Fuera for work. Flappy piece of durableness.

28/02/2012 at 09:30
The Rab Nimbus is pertex microlight, looks about the same as the Litespeed. Depends on fits I suppose.
28/02/2012 at 09:32

I went to a Paramo dealer with money in my pocket for a Fuera but came out with the money because of the poor fit on me.  But different people are different shapes and it is (barely) conceivable that someone is the right shape for the Fuera and in that case it looks like good kit.

As usual the game here is examine one's priorities.  "Ultralight" is all very well but very light generally means fewer features and whether you'll miss those may make it an own goal.  I have a Featherlite smock (no use here as no hood) and I love it as a just-in-case spare because it's so light and packs so small... but if I'm going to be spending the day in a windproof I much prefer the more then double the weight Rohan Windshadow (which does have a hood, btw) because I appreciate the pockets, full front zip and the nicer feel of the fabric.  If you prefer the pockets a bit higher to clear a pack belt better then Rab's Alpine looks good.  It's over 200g (shock! horror!) but you've places to put stuff and a fabric that does a bit more than not weigh much.  If I'm wearing something all day then "light with handy stuff" actually beats "ultralight" a lot of the time, at least for me.

Pete.

28/02/2012 at 10:00

Yes litespeed quite a bit more durable than quantum in the cirrus. Alpine good, Haglofs have a ~200g hooded thing, ditto Norrona etc. Definetly nothing wrong with the Lite speed though and it is good value with it.

28/02/2012 at 13:06

> I choose Montane becouse RAB is made from Pertex exuilibrium and it is not too so durable as microlight?

Equilibrium is probably more robust than Microlight.

But heavier.

But the Rab Cirrus is made from Pertex Quantum, not Equilibrium, which is even lighter than Microlight, so likely to be less durable.

The Rab Alpine is Equilibrium.

Maybe just have a look at Rab's windshell page... they do windshells in Quantum, Microlight and Equilibrium.  Take your pick of light or robust...

28/02/2012 at 16:44
rab nimbus is something like montane lite speed?
28/02/2012 at 16:55

Very much so on paper yes. 

Its also hugely elusive in person in UK shops, and oddly notably heavier - 235 vs 180g. Yes it has two pockets instead of one but thats a rather bigger difference than you'd expect for that. 

28/02/2012 at 17:35
What about fit and hood each other?
1 to 20 of 30 messages