warmest gloves/mitts

i have cold hands :(

20 messages
23/02/2006 at 17:35
guys i need a little help

im soon going to the arctic and need some really good gloves/mitts to keep me warm.

today in london it was like -1C and i was frozen. i have bad circulation

at the moment i have the black diamond Guide gloves but am also looking for some very warm mitts

any suggestions? i saw the rab mitts but those are too big. ....

help!

thx
23/02/2006 at 19:10
I would highly recommend Buffalo mitts. I have cold hands too, and they quickly get so cold that they're actually painful, but I've found Buffalo mitts keep them toasty warm all the time, and warm them up quickly from a standing start as long as I'm moving.

Buffalo isn't waterproof, but if the mitts get wet then they stay warm, and as soon as the rain goes off they dry very quickly. I've read on their site that two pairs worn together are normally warm down to -40C. For peace of mind, you could get a large waterproof mitt to go over the top.

Do give them a try, at least. (If you try them, make sure to get a pair that's large enough, as in damp conditions it can be a bit of a faff trying to pull a small pair on over damp hands.)

See here for the Buffalo site. Good luck :-)
Edited: 23/02/2006 at 19:14
23/02/2006 at 19:28
I like dachstein mittens with (if necessary) goretex overgloves (the ones I have are extremities handbags, I think). Super warm and dry hands.
23/02/2006 at 19:45
I second what PW says. I use thin knitted woolen gloves (like granny used to knit) inside a pair of Buffalo mits.
They are sized a bit small, for men anyway.
I take a medium glove but an XL Buffalo mitt.
I have tried all other sorts of gloves but the combo I have described is the only one where I can start off with very cold hands and end up with warm ones fairly soon after donning said combo.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

23/02/2006 at 20:02
I'd second Peewiglet's recommendation. I was in Swedish Lappland recently (about -25c) and was fine with just one pair of Buffalo mitts without inner gloves or a shell. They're ideal for skiing too.
24/02/2006 at 07:17
TNF expedition mitts, filled with down. About £130 a pair, but incredibly warm.
24/02/2006 at 09:03
If you're skint, I got a pair of mittens from Argos last year for £8 although I haven't looked to see if they're still doing them. They're fibre pile with a nylon shell, very warm, completely windproof and if you get them wet they're still warm. They're quite big enabling you to wear a pair of gloves underneath, important if it's very cold with significant windchill, to protect the hands while doing things such as adjusting clothing etc.

I got really cold fingers depitching the tent at 850 metres up on a mountain in Snowdonia on Tuesday morning in biting near gale force winds with a wind chill of about -20c. Put these mitts on and within 10 minutes of walking my hands were really glowing with heat (after the pain).
24/02/2006 at 09:10
I would suggest layering your gloves as you do with clothing, i.e. start with a thin liner glove, then a mid layer glove or mitt, before using a waterproof outer.

Buffalo mits look the Muts nuts, so they should be worth it!
24/02/2006 at 09:50
Hi SD - there is a useful Buyers Guide for Gloves and Mitts on the forum and if you have time try a search on the Gear section where you'll find quite a lot on the topic.
My personal preference is for a layering system and at times I use 3 layers!My current set-up is Powerstretch base,fleece mid and Outdoor Designs Tuff Bags outers.I don't like outers with sewn-in insulation-can be fiddly to put on especially when hands are wet.
Buffalo used to do an extra-large mitt to pull over their smaller sizes in extreme cold.
Berghaus do (expensive?) battery heated ones and there are chemical warming pads but the latter may be unsuitable for those with circulation problems.
Edited: 24/02/2006 at 10:13
24/02/2006 at 10:24
My hands are also very cold. I bougt a pair of OutdoorDesings SummitMitt to be worn over a pair of Ortovox Grönland and for the coldest times i use a Hestra Pancho closeset to my hand. In just a few day I'll try this combination out in the most northern region of Sweden (Riksgränsen).
Edited: 24/02/2006 at 10:26
24/02/2006 at 10:29
Sorry SD-Tuff Bags are made by Extremities (in UK!).
24/02/2006 at 10:30
I also use the Outdoor Designs mitts and think they're brilliant. I suffer a lot with cold hands, and also have Reynauds Syndrome which doens't help matters!
I wear a very thin pair of thermal liners underneath (the ones you can get for a couple of quid in most shops) and have toasty hands.

Contrary to other replies, I find that layering gloves, as opposed to mitts, is no use at all - they end up layering too tightly to trap enough warm air, and separate the fingers so no warmth by condution either.

In the arctic, you're not going to need waterproof outers, it will be a dry cold. If you are VERY worried, try down mitts (expensive at £80) but I tried them and had absolutely no dexterity in my hands at all. I can still hold my axes in my OD Mitts :)
24/02/2006 at 10:32
I don't have a problem with cold hands but her indoors does and see has just started using those little bags that you snap and they give off heat for over 8 hours. Fantastic for value at about £1.25
24/02/2006 at 11:48
Cara-Lyn - The Tuff Bags I mentioned are mitts.
Ian - see my post above!Beans of Bicester sell them at £1 post free.
Edited: 24/02/2006 at 11:52
24/02/2006 at 12:27
You could do worse than these I'm told.
There're also these

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

24/02/2006 at 14:00
Definatley go for the layering approach. I was out in about -20 (before windchill ;o ) last weekend. My hands run pretty warm, but the trouble with mitts is they need to come off sometimes. A this baselayer allows you to do things like light a stove and cook without having completely bare hands. They also allow some flexibility with temperatures.

I'd go for a wooly base, some of the specifically designed base layers don't provide a lot of warmth and often isolate each finger from the warmth of the other.
25/02/2006 at 22:41
guys i was gonna get the buffalo ones - but the shop i went to have run out! (cotswold picadilly - i live in London).

I will look elsewhere - but would you know any other london shops that would have it/any good websites that you know will have it + good delivery?

thx
25/02/2006 at 22:49
have a look at Buffalo's website
Here

I would avoid Field and Trek unless you ring them first and check that they have them in stock, or you could pop in to one of their london stores.

25/02/2006 at 22:53
Also look at the link in my last posting above. Mardale do an equivalent, same materials but slightly cheaper.
If you also go to the skiing page on that website and click on ALASKA you'll see you have quite a good range of colours.

Edited: 25/02/2006 at 22:55
25/02/2006 at 23:39
By far the best, lightest, and warmest mitts I've ever used were the Vapr Therm Mitts from ( http://www.rbhdesigns.com/ ), from a company called "RBH Designs". They use a special vapor barrier technology to keep the moisture from your hands affecting the insulation. In most winter situations the mitts themselves have been warm enough, without a liner, but when it gets really cold I just slip on a pair of fleece mitts or fingerless bunting gloves. I got my mitts from ( http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bmw_featherlite_vapor_mitts.html ) Backpacking Light, but I think they're out of stock at the moment.

They are made in America by a small, very friendly cottage industry company. They will make to measure and do a lot of supplying for Arctic and Antarctic expeditions.
Edited: 25/02/2006 at 23:41
Your say
email image
20 messages