What colour of tent is best?

1 to 20 of 24 messages
15/08/2005 at 22:58
So its become time to buy a new tent. My previous Vango Hurricane was too heavy and my Terra Nova Solar Minor too small.

After careful deliberation I'm settling on a Macpac minaret, mostly because its looks similar to my vango which I love, but is usefully quite a bit lighter.

Now the choice is this. Do I go for green or yellow? My initial thoughts say green is best, great for those wild camps when you know you shouldn't really be there. However is yellow best for a safety point of view for those winter camps?

What are people opinions on the tent colour of choice?
15/08/2005 at 23:28
Green or wild camping is a no no. You can always carry a small strobe, Wessex Miniflares or something light and yellow (rucksack cover) for when you want to be seen.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

16/08/2005 at 06:51
I think the yellow looks much better in the flesh and the green just looks cheap in my eyes.
16/08/2005 at 07:17
Theres no way round it mate, you need two tents, you can never have too many tents. I have my greeen lightwave for sneeky wild camps and am looking to buy something colourfull and geodesic for winter.
Row
16/08/2005 at 10:47
Green gets my vote!
16/08/2005 at 10:54
Thats what I like to hear I already own 2 Tents so a Lightwave is on the cards at some point, when I actually have some money!
16/08/2005 at 13:08
I'd go for green.

If you're thinking of the Minaret, see if Rock&Run still have them for £240. Looks like they only have the blue, though...

R&R Minaret
16/08/2005 at 16:21
For non-winter green is definately better. I can't stand seeing peoples luminous tents spoiling the landscape. A dark green tent is much more pleasant on the eyes.

Plus, if you camp far north in the summer you'll find it easier to get sleep as sleeping in a bright yellow tent when the nights are short is not fun.

16/08/2005 at 19:47
I wonder If midges are more attracted to yellow? I was recently sitting by sprinkling tarn last weekend and it was getting a bit nippy. Put on my Yellow North Face Jacket and withing 10 seconds millions of flies/midges etc.

Took off the jacket, and just as quickly they all disappeared.

I think green has to be the colour of choice, unless as someone said you can afford two or more tents.

I wonder if sales of TNF and other American tents suffer in this country because they don't do green tents? That and the fact they often have mesh inners which would surely be nippy in all but hot conditions.
16/08/2005 at 20:14
You already know that green is best for wild camps.
Now consider a large campsite and finding your way back to your tent in the dark after a few beers. You want something that is individual, or at least a close to individual as you can get it.
16/08/2005 at 22:53
"Now consider a large campsite and finding your way back to your tent in the dark after a few beers" - buy a couple of lightsticks. Cheaper than a yellow tent :o)
17/08/2005 at 00:33

In the old'n days, the yellow Macpacs were the winter/high alt. expedition tents with extra guys and snow valances and therefore more expensive (but better equiped for winter use). Not sure now, but it might be worth checking what version you'll get for your colour choice.

Also, it's true that insects seem to be attracted to yellow tents and the inside is 'brighter' which has it's advantages and disadvantages. Also, it's difficult to hide or blend in with a yellow tent.

I have the Macpac Expedition Olympus (larger version of the Mineret) which is, of course, yellow. Fantastic long lasting tents, whatever colour.

17/08/2005 at 20:19
Our next tent is going to be red. Helen likes it.
Row
17/08/2005 at 23:06
"Now consider a large campsite and finding your way back to your tent in the dark after a few beers"

"buy a couple of lightsticks"

Strange to say my vaude has 'glo in the dark' adjusters on the guy lines! very usefull after a few bevvies and also stops other inebreated persons tripping over my guylines.
18/08/2005 at 13:47
Green...But there's green and green:

I've got a dark green Hilleberg - perfect for widcamps as it blends in easily; and a Golite Lair tarp - green but definiately on the livid side and not so easy to hide. Thinking of getting a ~DPM basha...

As for yellow - it's no coincidence that there are more yellow varieties of flower than any other colour. Those midgies are just trying to pollinate you.

Jim
18/08/2005 at 14:24
Er, hate to point this out, but midgies don't really pollinate...

I know, I'm being picky!
18/08/2005 at 18:11
I have it on good authority from my gardener (my good lady wife) that never, ever, ever buy anything bright yellow as it attracts all the bugs.

(You just make one tinsy winsy little mistake at christmas and they never let you forget it do they?)

She has spoken and she must be obayed!
18/08/2005 at 19:41
Green. Without any doubt.
20/08/2005 at 06:52
Green - blend in.
If you must be seen wear a yellow t shirt
20/08/2005 at 10:20
Personally, I would never wear anything yellow because (as has been said) the attraction that this has to insects. I used to have a yellow cycling shirt once and soon got rid of it because of its attraction to wasps (that and of course the embarrassment of wearing a yellow jersey when cycling).

As for tents, again, I'm always a bit worried about Cameron's Orange Nallo that occasionally makes appearances in TGO (it does so again in the current issue). Never mind campaigning against wind farms - what on earth is he doing lighting up the landscape with fluorescent orange :-)
1 to 20 of 24 messages