Your Oldest bit of kit...still in use

Can you beat this

1 to 20 of 73 messages
06/06/2010 at 22:26

I have an Ever Ready torch which is my main torch at home. I got it when I was 10 for a week long stay at Carey Camp, Dorset Schools' camp near Wareham.

That makes it 34 years old . In fact I must have received it almost exactly 34 years ago to the day, an early birthday present, cos we came back from camp on my birthday on a blazing hot June day in '76.

It's never needed a new bulb - it really is ever-ready!

06/06/2010 at 22:33
Silva compass/clinometer, bought when a Geology student, 34 years ago...
06/06/2010 at 22:33
I can't compete im not old enough
06/06/2010 at 22:37
I've got a Silva Type 7NL compass that was bought for my birthday  - I can't remember which one for certain but it was while I was a cub scout, so it's got to be approaching 40. It was out on the hill with me yesterday.
06/06/2010 at 22:38
Can't quite compete with 34 years but I do have a 1980 Landranger map of Ben Nevis.  Well battered now and I do now have a Harvey map of the area but the old map does have many happy memories.
07/06/2010 at 02:13
All my OS maps of the Falklands were printed in 1960, needless to say I haven't owned them for that long though.
07/06/2010 at 02:36
Hve a great old pocket knife I used in the Scouts, ahem, about 45 years ago.  Blade still sharpens beautifully.
07/06/2010 at 06:39
I still use a pair of my Grandad's Seaboot Socks (the thick white wool ones) inside my Drysuit when I'm teaching.  They are WWII vintage and still going strong!
07/06/2010 at 08:03
Chris, OutdoorsGrub.co.uk wrote (see)
Silva compass/clinometer, bought when a Geology student, 34 years ago...

SNAP! Would you believe!

Except, maybe 36 years ago.

I suppose it's fair to say that while it's usable, it isn't actually being used.

07/06/2010 at 08:58
and it still fits you simon!!!!
07/06/2010 at 09:30

Can't get up to the rarefied heights given so far, but maybe I'm in with a shout for oldest boots still on the go?

My Scarpa Fitzies were bought when I was a Geology student (actually geophysics, so I don't actually know about rocks or fossils..., after the peaty soils of Arran had destroyed my Hawkins boots on the first year field course.  So I got the Fitzies summer '86and they're still going strong for winter walking where I use crampons.  Not on their first sole, and several pairs of Yeti gaiters past the first too.

Pete.

07/06/2010 at 09:41

my bike was bought (handmade 531 tubing) when I was 14 making it 44 years old. It is the main bike I have used all these years and should be approaching 100,000miles. Mind you most of it has been replaced several times but the frame and forks, re-enamelled twice, are original.

To top everything the drop handlebars were leftover stock from my Grandfather and Uncle's bike shop closed about 1958 and collecting dust in our attic until I used them. They are now truncated and sporting added aerobars but still in use. So some claim on 52 years plus.

07/06/2010 at 09:43
A pair of my grandfathers boots! Don't know how old they are.
I used them when I first started walking in my 20's. That was about 27 years ago. They haven't seen a hill for a long while but they are still going strong in the garden, and comfortable.
Does joint use/ownership count?

Also a Rab down sleeping bag 27 years old - it's going to Bolivia in a couple of weeks and is still my warmest and best.

Cathy
07/06/2010 at 10:30

I'd have thought that joint ownership counts double!

My oldest bit won't compete (I don't quite) but I do have an old rucksack I brought early university and still use for trips to/from home, shopping etc. Maybe not so far short of 15 years that.

Much of my clothing is pretty new as I've finally got stuff fitting me properly. Which might mean it doesn't in 15 years....

07/06/2010 at 10:46

Oldest that is still in regular use ,ithink is my Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 50l pack .bought '84 ,been everywhere and still in one piece .

Last use by a niece for scout camp two weeks ago .   

07/06/2010 at 11:33

I still have my grandfathers axe, the head's been replaced twice and it's had 3 new handles.

07/06/2010 at 12:05

I've got my father's axes. They're ex-MOD WWII axes. My father modified the picks to a drooped shape and shortened and steam-bent the shafts. They were about 40 years ahead of their time.

I also have a 1980's Berghaus Vector rucksack, a 1970's Belstaff oilskin, 1940's mess tins, various early Karrimor daysacks, a pair of Brigham's FEB boots from the 70's, numerous Primus. Optimus and Burmos stoves etc.

07/06/2010 at 12:22
Benco wrote (see)

I still have my grandfathers axe, the head's been replaced twice and it's had 3 new handles.

Ha! The old ones are still the best!

Reminds me that my old ice axe, steel head and hickory shaft, still sees occasional service. Again, it's 36 years old, and I think I paid £15 for it from the Climbers Shop in Ambleside. It's far too heavy for anything other than day trips.

Winging its way to me from Canada at this very moment is a lightweight replacement from Suluk46. Can't wait to get my mitts on it!

07/06/2010 at 13:27

I have a very old army issue web-tex belt and a german made camping can opener, both brought together about 15 years ago. I still use the belt a lot and the can opener is still a good emergency house-hold back-up.

07/06/2010 at 14:12
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)

Winging its way to me from Canada at this very moment is a lightweight replacement from Suluk46. Can't wait to get my mitts on it!

An ice axe from Suluk46 is an immense weight reduction over a hickory handle. I have been using a suluk ice axe for 2 winters now. Having an ice axe with you that is light enough to carry on long expeditions for those few days you expect to use it is great. Once you are carrying one, all sorts of other uses appear.
1 to 20 of 73 messages