your Winter stove of choice?

and why? .....by Lilo

1 to 20 of 29 messages
17/10/2011 at 16:50

The cooler weather is on its way, any thoughts on your favorite type of stove for sub-zero temps.

white box? jet boil? pop can, multi-fuel? priming wicks, meths? gas?

preheat tube stoves like Edelrid opilio, primus spider etc

Edited: 17/10/2011 at 17:02
17/10/2011 at 17:09

Typically the same as summer, because more often than not I want stable and controllable and easy, so a remote can gas stove.  I use a Primus Gravity or the Trangia gas conversion, both have pre-heats.

As long as you're not using pure butane there's not really much of an issue.

For lots and lots of snow melting a liquid fuelled pressure turbojet has definite good points, but unless I'm doing lots of snow melting and/or am going to be in a place where gas supply is awkward the faffing and fiddling weighs against.  

Pete.

17/10/2011 at 17:27
The one at home all nice and warm!!
17/10/2011 at 19:45
Used to be MSR Rapidfire -- a gas stove with pre-heat tube. Now the Express Spider, to save quite a lot of weight.
17/10/2011 at 20:11

Another vote for the Primus Gravity remote with pre-heat. In summer, it's a bit overkill with the power it has, but zero or below it works a treat.

17/10/2011 at 20:24

Optimus omnifuel burning Aspen 4t for me, oodles of heat available, remember your dinner is starting off 20+ degrees cooler than high summer!

Steve D

Not all those who wander are lost.

17/10/2011 at 20:39
Belgian_Hiker wrote (see)

Another vote for the Primus Gravity remote with pre-heat. In summer, it's a bit overkill with the power it has, but zero or below it works a treat.

Yes another here.

“Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”

17/10/2011 at 20:48

I'll usually go for my Optimus Nova multifuel....  partly because we're usually cooking for two and doing more than just boiling water, but mainly because it's FUN!!

The alternative Primus Gravity has died (very uneven flame only coming through some parts of the jet/mesh on the burner), so I also have a new Primus Spider remote canister stove to try at some point, or the Jetboil Sol - it'll all depend on the particular trip.

17/10/2011 at 22:13
can it run on gas?

“Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”

17/10/2011 at 23:16
What, the Nova? No, petrol, diesel, paraffin, coleman fuel, Aspen 4T etc.
18/10/2011 at 07:58

very uneven flame only coming through some parts of the jet/mesh

Try sticking a drawing pin through them all, to clear any blockage.  I wouldn't particularly have expected it with gas, but it certainly makes a Trangia meths burner work better after 10 years...

18/10/2011 at 09:22
Sub zero I choose for my Optimus Nova, no doubt about it. I do no want to fiddle around with other kind of burners when it's freezing. every minute saved is less time to sit almost still in a spot in the cold.

So i savour every minute I can win on the preparing time of my meal. After it's prepared I jump under my sleeping bag or eat it walking around to keep from cooling down. BTW talking about sub -10 temps and a mean wind
18/10/2011 at 10:44

The Omnifuel will burn gas, but 4t is my preferred fuel (actually it will burn just about anything flamable)

zuma:  if it is that cold I will be cooking (carefully!) in the bell of my tent with the leeward door open to vent steam and fumes.  Nothing quite like breakfast in bed on a cold morning.

Steve D

18/10/2011 at 12:41
Peter Clinch wrote (see)

very uneven flame only coming through some parts of the jet/mesh

Try sticking a drawing pin through them all, to clear any blockage.  I wouldn't particularly have expected it with gas, but it certainly makes a Trangia meths burner work better after 10 years...

I've already tried that, thanks - no improvement.
18/10/2011 at 12:58
@ Steve D
I know but my winter tent is a small 3 pole bombshelter, a wechsel pathfinder, with no room for cooking in it or being able to sit up right (the Hilleberg soulo wasn't on the market yet when I bought my shelter). So I've to prepare the meal outside of my shelter and dive into it again to eat it. It's no big poblem since I'm used to it. Ofcourse when the tent is it the end of it's life i'll choose differently.
18/10/2011 at 13:36

I was at Alpkit's big shakeout at the weekend, and the temperature on saturday morning was sub-zero and I didn't need any fancy weather equipment to tell, seeing as there was ice frozen to the outside of the tent!

I've never used gas at that temperature before, but my pocket rocket + a standard coleman 100 canister fired up well enough. The canister had been out in the cold all night and I made no effort to warm it up either. When I turned on the valve just before lighting it, it was cold enough that I could see the gas vapour in the air.

Plenty of other people were cooking with gas at that time too, so I guess it has to be really properly cold before gas stops working.

18/10/2011 at 14:24

Matt, depends on the gas, Butane gets sluggish below around 5deg IME, Propane handles much colder conditions. 

A lot of canisters now come with a butane/propane mix, I have heard that in properly cold conditions the propane will burn off leaving the butane still liquid, although I've not experienced it myself.

Steve D

18/10/2011 at 15:05
Fair enough. The coleman canister didn't seem to be suffering particularly, it was probably 3/4 full at the time and I still had a cup of tea in my hands inside of 3 minutes having boiled enough water for the 3 of us.
18/10/2011 at 15:33

I've had a propane butane mix canister from a cheapo make that failed in warm weather. It was a warm and dry June too. The gas worked for a short time and was a larger canister that had only been used for one night previously. I reckon it had only been used for about 5 boils at 500ml each at the most and the whole canister frosted up on the outside and was very cold to touch then the flame went out because the can top stove was not being fed with vapourised fuel.

I wonder what that was all about. Especially since it was short and t-shirt weather at over 20C at the time so both gases should have been vapourised.

Just goes to show a good gas source is essential. I go for Primus personally as it works the best IME and is readily available in UK. I think MSR and Crux are also good but never used them myself. Sticking with what I know well.

18/10/2011 at 15:36
BTW in winter and cold I only have my primus micron (old model) to use. The meths stoves I have don't work as well for me and I haven't spared myself the cash for a multi fuel or remote can stove since my old thermotech from go systems became dangerous. THat was a ggreat cold weather stove and worked on liquid gas feed well when it was needed. I have a potentially free kerosene and / red diesel source so a multi fuel burner would suit perhaps but they are over £100 for a good one I think. Love the new one out that looks more like a gas remote canister stove. SOTO is it? Needs no priming too IIRC.
1 to 20 of 29 messages