Android - AlpineQuest

Great App

1 to 20 of 27 messages
08/05/2012 at 22:40
I just can't hold back from singing the praises of a new app for Android phones.

Take a look at AlpineQuest. The free version gives access to Openstreet map maps with contours for the world, paid for (best £4 ever) gives access to full 1:50k and 1:25k OS maps!!!

The app does not need mobile signal in use, just pre-cache maps at home for the scales / zoom levels you want on WiFi then good to go.

I imported some GPZ files for this weekend, and used the app in real life for 1st time. What a fantastic experience. Battery life is excellent, only used 20% or so over a 5 hours family/group plod with regular map checks.

I reckon the purchase of one of these to use on a 2nd hand mobile just used for this would be perfect.

My usual GPS is a Garmin eTrex HCx by the way, and it didn't get a look in this weekend.

Can't rave about this app enough for £4.
09/05/2012 at 02:18
I imported my memory maps onto my phone card and it works a treat.
only problem i have is i dmt have the right card to pay for upgrade so stuck with free for now
Other than that yep it is a a great app.

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

09/05/2012 at 02:20
I imported my memory maps onto my
phone card and it works a treat.
only problem i have is i dmt have the
right card to pay for upgrade so stuck
with free for now
Other than that yep it is a a great app.

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

09/05/2012 at 05:00
FFs Dids, buy a proper phone with your Akto money.

Include a little history in your walks. Pecsaetan - Ancient Derbyshire, Staffordshire and South Yorkshire - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/

09/05/2012 at 05:55
its OM Not me ffs

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

09/05/2012 at 12:25
Alpine Quest is not new, its been around for a couple of years. At least.

And for my money, i prefer BackCountry Navigator. In part as it downloads the map tiles directly to the device. Unless Alpine Quest has changed, it downloads tiles to a PC, and then has to be transferred across to the folder in the device.
09/05/2012 at 20:02
No need to a PC for AlpineQuest, all downloaded direct to phone memory card.
13/05/2012 at 19:41
You say OS maps: does it use OS Grid Refs as well as "long/lat" ?

hmmm...maybe time to investigate Android phones. I do wonder about the newer 7" tablets coming out, would be more 'screen estate' for mapping (but no doubt less battery life!)

thx !
21/05/2012 at 16:59
When you say the full version gives access to OS maps, I presume you mean it lets you use the app to view paid for memory maps? Otherwise 4 pounds to access to OS mapping for the whole country is insanely cheap.
11/06/2012 at 20:34
You say OS maps: does it use OS Grid Refs as well as "long/lat" ?

Yes - on main screen. I can also recommend an App called 'Grid Reference' which does just what it says - gives you very clear OS Grid Ref, no more no less. Have kept the app as well as what AlpineQuest as it does a useful job.

When you say the full version gives access to OS maps, I presume you mean it lets you use the app to view paid for memory maps? Otherwise 4 pounds to access to OS mapping for the whole country is insanely cheap.

The 'insanely cheap' bit is the right thing - I couldn't believe it, I gave it a punt at £4, spent £8 on Quo maps at same time for tiny area of the Peak District, then downloaded far more onto my phone which was more useful, faster, and much less money.

I've downloaded loads of maps since in both 1:25k and 1:50k.

I always take a backup battery unit for the phone (like a Duracell pack for £25) but could do with some weather protection for my phone - don't want to wreck new HTC One S...

I have noted that there are some more rugged Android spart phones coming out now as well - could be a fantastic combination.
02/05/2013 at 23:33

Have full version but can't work out how to get the OS maps. Where do I find them?

Paul

07/05/2013 at 19:17

Click on middle button, then explore maps. I have got UK OS maps listed on mine.

They used to be listed under community maps.

Hope that helps.

08/05/2013 at 18:23

I've been playing with OruxMaps a little bit, and that looks pretty good.  It grabs OS 1:50k and 1:25k mapping from somewhere, and caches it for offline use.  It looks like it will also do a MOBAC-style map grab, to create a custom map for an area you define.

I've also been using Locus with a mapping data set, and that's good, too.

Both apps are worth investigating on Android.

08/05/2013 at 22:58
captain paranoia wrote (see)

I've been playing with OruxMaps a little bit, and that looks pretty good.  It grabs OS 1:50k and 1:25k mapping from somewhere, and caches it for offline use.  It looks like it will also do a MOBAC-style map grab, to create a custom map for an area you define.

I've also been using Locus with a mapping data set, and that's good, too.

Both apps are worth investigating on Android.

Top app, thanks for the heads up. Will spend some time investigating it.

09/05/2013 at 17:20

Interesting.....not that I have an android device yet.....but I have wondered about the use of e-ink for an outdoor device (low power, even though clearly mapping would be limited to grayscale)....& it seems like someone has taken this & run with the idea - see http://www.meetearl.com !!

Could be interesting !

09/05/2013 at 18:13

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/new-digital-outdoor-device-earl/58044.html

More playing with OruxMaps...  If you give it the SRTM digital elevation files (.hgt format), it will interrogate them and display the DEM height at the cursor.  I shall be loading the entire UK DEM data onto my device this evening.

(Had to fight with the default Android email tool to let me save the file I'd sent to myself as an attachment; in the end, I renamed it to a text file, which the email tool then happily saved.  I went into a linux command shell and renamed it back to .hgt. Almost iPad sort of nanny behaviour, but at least there's a workaround.)

It will also use the DEM data to show a 3D map, draping the mapping onto a 3D relief.

It's quite impressive what you can do with a little tablet computer...

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 18:14
09/05/2013 at 19:06

if i wasnt confused enough already with all this stuff....i definately am now

09/05/2013 at 23:20

Thx Captain, I hadn't spotted that other thread.    But you lost me on that detail with Oruxmaps too!!

10/05/2013 at 08:25

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

10/05/2013 at 08:33

To get a Android phone, especially if you can get one with a battery that can be replaced, is now one of the best ways to get GPS mapping for a good price.  Best of course if you got a phone that is weather proof (Sony do some?).

In place of a spare bettery you can use an external power pack as back up as I have to.  That said, the battery life is long enough for a full day anyway - and I carry a seperate 'proper' phone for emergencies anyway (an old Nokia that you 100% know will work....) that is very light and the battery lasts for weeks not hours or days.

1 to 20 of 27 messages