garmin eTrex 10

8 messages
03/03/2012 at 12:16
Has anyone got / used the garmin eTrex 10 ?  I have looked at the write ups on it and they seemed to imply that it does not link directly to computer software packages such as tracklogs and memory map but is seen as a USB storage device which you can transfer files to and from .
03/03/2012 at 21:50
I have just bought an eTrex 20 and I assume the 10 works in the same way. You can select either Garmin Mode, or mass storage. I have n't reid to use the Garmin mode myself, but assume it works as per the old eTrax.
04/03/2012 at 08:08
Thanks for the response. Do you use as it as mass storage and do you then just copy data to and fro as you would with say an MP3 player ?
Are you pleased with the unit? What did you use before the Etrex 20 ?
04/03/2012 at 14:29
Yes, exactly that. It just appears as another disk drive, like a usb stick. I had an Etrex H, which I was generally very pleased with. However, it suffered from a bug, where it would shut down for no reason every so often.

I am writing an article about using GPS units and plotting tracks on maps, etc for a computer mag. I used some of the money to buy the E20. I have only had it for about a week, but so far I am very happy with it.

I have uploaded the OpenStreetMap image for the UK to the E20. I have found this works really well and it's free. I am more interested in using the Etrex to record my tracks and getting an OS grid ref. However, I find that using the maps on the eTrex enables me to see where I am at a glance. Most of the time this saves me having to get out the "proper" map to check it against the grid ref. This proved very useful on my last trip in clag and driving rain. Not the sort of conditions you want to be trying to read a paper map.
04/03/2012 at 14:34
Many thanks for the info. I will now probably buy the new Etrex 10 or 20.
What magazine is your article for ?
04/03/2012 at 14:57
It should be in the next issue of Linux Format.
05/03/2012 at 00:16
The Etrex 10 isn't quit the same as an etrex 20.... If you have the money buy the 20 for sure. The 20 has topo mapping capabilities. The 10 hasn't.
05/03/2012 at 10:37
Would definitely agree about getting the 20. If you use the OpenStreetMap option, the maps are free and good enough for most purposes. In fact in towns,etc they are often better than the OS maps.
Your say
email image
8 messages