MMO to GPX problems

12 messages
14/02/2012 at 11:24
Hi all, does anyone know why when you save a memory map track as a GPX file the distance of the route changes??

I have a MMO file that is 860 miles, but when i save it as a GPX the route then becomes around 720 miles

Any ideas please??
14/02/2012 at 13:17

is that a downloaded from a gps file or one where you've entered all the waypoints yourself.

if it's downloaded then the track is probably being filtered i.e. stripped of extraneous points (probably user defined distance e.g. remove points to maintain an accuracy of say 5m) which will crunch the distance down quite a lot. mine are usually to within 10% but nowhere near that distance overall so the "error" would be greater.

my satmap will spit out a huge number of points e.g. 10,000 which tracklogs will filter down nicely to about 300 without changing the track to any great degree.

if you've added the waypoints yourself then that's a bit bewildering.

is there a point limit in mm that would just cut the end points off?

when i used to use mm i did notice that when you converted a route to a track it would very annoyingly throw points away it didn't like.

14/02/2012 at 13:29
The file came from the LDWA is there some way I can fix this gpx?
14/02/2012 at 13:31

ah! thought of something else.

if the whole track appearing when you view the gpx file?

from some earlier conversion i recall that the gpx file would have some seemingly randon [endtrack] (or something like that) commands that would terminate the track although theer were many other lines following it. just delete the extraneous commands at the end of lines within the track info. you can edit a gpx file in notepad/wordpad.

p.s. sorry but i don't know what the real code would say in the gpx file

14/02/2012 at 14:16
Cant see anything that would require changing bit of a pain really
14/02/2012 at 20:13
It would seem that mm is stripping points out.
Does it do the same if you save it both as a route and a track?

Does mm not display gpx files?
15/02/2012 at 08:54
You can use GPS Babel to convert MM files to gpx. Might be worth a try.
15/02/2012 at 10:14
have tried that, didnt work
15/02/2012 at 10:22
this is the message that i get when i try to convert it

gpsbabel -w -r -t -i mmo,locked=0,visible=1 -f C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\WalesCoastPath.mmo -o kml,lines=0,points=0,floating=0,extrude=0,track=0,trackdata=0,trackdirection=0,labels=0 -F wcptest
mmo: Unregistered object id 0x80A5!

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1
15/02/2012 at 12:51

If you can look at how many points there are in the MMO and GPX tracks, that will give you a clue as to whether the GPX has been filtered.  Since GPX is simply an XML file, you can read it with a text editor.  You'll probably find the points are numbered, and you can read the number of the last point (if you have no other way of finding out how many points there are).

The fact that GPS Babel is unable to convert the MMO is one issue with proprietary, rather than 'open' file formats; there may be features in the file that are not documented, or known to outside parties (i.e. the author of GPS Babel).

BTW, why not download the GPX version of the route...?

LDWA Wales Coast Path

I'm not a member, so I can't help.  And, since the page detailing how to join (from the link on the FAQ page) comes back 'Not Found' (due to extraneous quotes, it turns out), I probably won't be joining...

15/02/2012 at 13:25
If you don't manage to get it working, you can email the file to me and I'll have a go. GPS Babel is generally good at dealing with various manufacturers crap implementation of "standards". If I can't get it to work, I'll ask on the GPS Babel mailing list. Robert Lipe, author of GPS Babel, is generally very helpful.
15/02/2012 at 13:57
Think i have now sorted my problems with the GPX file

now got it imported on to my viewranger on my iphone, Russell at viewranger said to import the file directly into my iphone
Your say
email image
12 messages