Feedstops - preferred choices..

1 to 20 of 26 messages
02/07/2008 at 13:56
The feedstops on the lakeland100/50 are highlighted on the route map and whilst we can't please everyone we would like to follow general requests from competitors. This thread therefore asks the question.. what's best to eat when you are running or walking such a long way and what would you like?
Edited: 02/07/2008 at 14:03
03/07/2008 at 15:14

Marc,

Have just got back doing the Verdon Canyon 102km race and the food was poor and difficult to swallow for the most part - dry bread, Tuc biscuits, dry cake, crisps etc.

We were all of the opinion that we'd prefer something that could be swallowed without chewing for 10minutes........so here are some suggestions

buttered malt loaf, buttered sandwiches, bananas cut in half. chocolate, coke.

Most of us will be full of gels and jelly babies so more 'normal' food is generally well received.

If things like these are available then the Tuc biscuits are great!

On the night stages things like hot soup or pasta would be a good idea.

Any other suggestions out there so we have a chance of getting what we'd like?

03/07/2008 at 20:22

I agree with Andrew especially the soup and pasta, it would also be nice during the daylight hours too.

Mind you after a few miles anything would taste good !

03/07/2008 at 20:50

I'm not a runner, but used to do a bit of long distance cycling

for food on the `go', banana and honey sandwiches (wholemeal) cut into quarters are easy to digest and a good energy boost.

03/07/2008 at 20:58
Lentil soup. Stovies. Custard and jam sponge.

04/07/2008 at 01:59

my fave foods on ultras include

pizza

haribo/jelly baby mix

sandwhiches

flapjack

dried fruit

quartered oranges (wonderful if it is hot)

water melon

coke

bananas

soup

cups of tea

yoghurt drinks

red bull

bacon butties

04/07/2008 at 08:55

How nice to be asked for suggestions - I'm a walker, not a runner, but the right food can still make a huge difference on long events. My favourites are:

Bananas please (but not over-ripe ones!).

Coke or squash (full-sugar type).

Something with a bit of salt in e.g. crisps or tuc.

Buttered malt loaf.

Soup (veggie for preference)

05/07/2008 at 10:23

a nice cheese and pickle sandwhich always works for me and there's nothing in the world like a cup of tea. a salty soup too, but maybe not that practical.

also...

malt loaf
salt and vinegar crisps

what would be excellent though would be hot water, then if we wanted to make a brew ourselves or had a pot noddle in the rucksack then we could sort ourselves out. also if we carried a packet cuppa soup. but yeah, the hot water would be great

05/07/2008 at 19:08
Having recently done a long distance challenge thing, I got sick of energy bars and stuff, and found that my mouth was pretty dry most of the time. I developed a bit of a thing for juicy fruits, like apples and satsumas and stuff. I think they'd be pretty good. Also hot food like pasta went down very well!
05/07/2008 at 23:00

You get a bit sick of energy food/ fuel after a while so some proper food like soup/pasta/ stew would be very good. Anything sloppy

The pizza idea of ccd/dean Karnaze is inspired as you can do that on the move.

Fruit would be good to.

If sandwiches are being made Tortilla wraps are a lot more robust than bread. Cheese and marmite would make all the difference.

Looking forwards to being stuffed

John

05/07/2008 at 23:01

P.S.

Coffee by the bucket load !

06/07/2008 at 15:30
  Cold boiled potatos   after the first 50 mls lots of slow release energy and easy to digest
06/07/2008 at 15:50

(Hi Terry)

Cold rice puddling with tinned fruit - peaches or fruit salad. Slips down a treat!

As far as sandwiches go, I prefer tuna mayo to cheese - more moist. Definitely go for more svaoury stuff as the distance goes up. Most of the things that are easy for runners and walkers to carry and eat on the go tend to be sweet (cereal bars, etc) so it's good if checkpoints can offer more savoury stuff, or wet stuff (like fruit).

Seconds to coke, and if not soup, then perhaps oxo cubes or stock powder to mix up into a hot savoury drink. 

06/07/2008 at 17:13

For anyone serious about thier race diet this is worth a look,

www.cptips.com     look at Nutrition tips and Physiology.

06/07/2008 at 18:16
poor marc, he only wanted to know what we'd like in the butties and what flavour crisps
06/07/2008 at 20:32
That'd be Seabrooks then, the ready salted ones.
06/07/2008 at 22:53

John - that is the first, and probably last, time that my name has ever been put ahead of karno's when talking about ultras.  And that was where I got the idea from - and ti works for me.

Do I get the prize for the biggest shopping list?  I may have got carried away there   but the reason I run so far is so I can eat lots more!

09/07/2008 at 15:17

And for dessert...?

How do you lot run any significant distance!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far and there are definitely some common themes which we have already picked out. You will know in advance which food will be available at which checkpoint so you can decide what you need to carry. Our plan is to stay away from the sweet stuff, sports gels and bars and you can carry that stuff yourself for a treat between checkpoints. With regards to fluid you can access water and energy drinks at all checkpoints.

Better get back to the kitchen..

10/07/2008 at 19:00

Plain boiled/baked potatoes and/or boiled rice for carbos and I'm very happy.

Bananas and lentil soup also great (that is two items not a new recipe idea). 

Thanks Marc for undertaking this. My stomach is "selective" at the best of times and prior information about food availability is invaluable.

14/07/2008 at 19:16

All the food idea's sound good to me, but I agree with Chris if there is hot water at the later CP's we can carry our own dry food in the unlikely event we don't like the menu.

Pete

1 to 20 of 26 messages