Thanks to everyone

1 to 20 of 33 messages
10/08/2008 at 11:21

To Marc and everyone who worked with.

Thanks for a great event. I might not have got all the way round but it was not for the lack of support by everone. This one is "unfinished business" and I will be back next year to crack it.

Once again, thanks to the crew for a great job well done.

10/08/2008 at 18:06

i'll echo those sentiments too

congratulations on a great race and many thanks to those cheerful buggers who were manning the checkpoints, i almost found it too difficult to be grumpy and miserable at times...the food laid on at the checkpoints was perfect...how good was that pasta?

the route and conditions were quite demanding and i just missed out on my 12hr target by 6hrs...

ps i'm never doing the 100

10/08/2008 at 18:08

Which race was this?

Edit: never mind. I figured it out. That's what I get for only using the Latests Posts page.

Edited: 10/08/2008 at 18:19
10/08/2008 at 21:03
Same Again Big thank you to Marc and the team and fellow runners for a well executed event. The organisation pre-race and during the race has been absolutely spot on.The support at all checkpoints was superb and the food great and definitely kept me going, retiring at Pooley Bridge, reaching my personal limit, totally wasted but lovin it!!!The first night section was a great experience for me, well orchestrated with a group of about 10 of us working together to get through the night to Buttermere.This race will go from strength to strength I am sure.Thanks
10/08/2008 at 21:06

Chris.

Do the 100, you know you want to really. I missed my 50 mile best by 10 hours and was attempting the 100. I have done 100 milers before and this was a step up, in a big way.

It was the rice pudding for me at CP 5, great.

Edited: 10/08/2008 at 21:13
10/08/2008 at 21:39

As one of the team on on the orgaisational side of this event. (CP4 and CP9)
Could I express my thanks and indeed admiration and respect to all competitors who conducted themselves with great credit.

Not to mention some big characters who kept us laughing at the CP's, who took on some challenging conditions throughout Saturday and never once complained.

Thanks also for the positive feedback and constructive criticism recieved so far. This is potentially a great event and is great to be a part of.

Keep it positive and we'll keep listening.

Regards 

Paul

"CP 4 Standing down" 

Edited: 10/08/2008 at 22:06
11/08/2008 at 05:42

Just want to echo what everyone has said - great event with huge potential. Thanks to Marc and everyone involved in putting this on, and thanks to Luke Cunliffe & Steve Gordon for their company throughout.

I knew it would be tough, but I had underestimated how hard (and very, very soft) it would be underfoot. I was officially timed out at Buttermere, but we were allowed to go on to Dockray to complete the 50ml. We made navigation errrors in every stage except the first one, so I have been adding notes to the roadbook while I still remember in preparation for next year.

Well done to all those who finished this - it is a huge achievement.

11/08/2008 at 10:50
Same again from me. I exceeded my usual 50 time by 11 1/2 hours which shows just how difficult the terrain and the darkness make it.  Brilliant support from the checkpoints and encouragement to go on when i was being a wimp and wanting to pack it all in at Blencathra.  Big thankyou to Dave without whom i would have struggled big time. Hope everyone will be back next year for another go!
11/08/2008 at 11:31

A million thanks to everyone who worked so hard on organising this event. It deserves to go from strength to strength. Soup, smiles and verbal encouragement were much appreciated.

11/08/2008 at 11:53
An incredible race and awesome challenge! Many thanks and congratulations to Marc, Paul, Dave and Phil. You have a potential classic on your hands here. Thanks also to the incredible marshals/helpers who did an awesome job in some pretty exposed conditions. More thanks to Dave, Marc, and Fred for your company during the race. I am sorry that I did not stay with you the whole way as it sounds like you had some navigation problems later on! Good to meet and run briefly with Andy (at the end), Kevin and Fiona (early on). I hope that you are all ok. Finally ‘Haile’/Chris nice to meet you in the flesh at the finish! Well done on your finish - great effort. Of course, the biggest thanks go to my Mum and Dad for their help and support over the weekend and for picking Andy and me up from Patterdale. I know you hate driving over Kirkstone, Dad! Apart for Windsor Tri 2007 when a bike crash put me in A&E, this was my first ever “DNF”. It also means that I have missed qualifying for UTMB 2009. Despite this, I still feel exhilarated by the experience and proud of getting round well over half the course. I am amazed that ‘failing’ can feel such a positive experience!! My main problem was a massive underestimation of the time that this would take. After 20 hours, 34 minutes, I packed it in a Pooley Bridge – the last chance to catch my train back to London and a warm bed!
11/08/2008 at 11:56

I will be back next year with more sensible travel plans plus the following lessons learned:

• Do not book lunchtime train from Oxenholme on Sunday – you will not catch it!
  • Kendal mint cake remains the best energy food by miles
  • Spend money on good socks. Your feet will suffer badly
  • Salomon shoes are not nicknamed ‘slippy Salomon’s’ for nothing
  • Lycra + sudocreme was the correct choice – no chapping at all!
  • Montane jackets are fantastic
  • Revise your navigation before the race – the simple Mountain Navigation For Runners tips were very valuable and saved me making any route finding cock-ups
  • A GPS probably is a good idea – but note how many GPSs malfunctioned during the night. No substitute for a map and compass!
  • The compass never lies. It is more trustworthy than the guy ahead! Trust your own judgment!
  • Take timings to judge distances on the flat sections. This avoids map reading cock-ups
  • Take much less time through CP. Think ‘transition’ not ‘lunch break!!’ We wasted too much time at CPs
  • Eat more food on the go to avoid too many energy dips. I was always sluggish immediately after the CPs which was probably due to body adjusting.
  • Standard HIM training is not enough for this event. Needs more specific hill work.
  • The camaraderie among runners is probably the best bit. Thanks Dave, Mark, Fred, Andy, Kevin, Fiona and the others whose names I never caught. Congratulations to you all wherever you finished!
  • Support UK events – who needs UTMB when you have this on our doorstep!! See you next year!!

I hope everyone is safe and well. See you next year!

Longer (boring) report on Runnersworld and Tri Talk

11/08/2008 at 13:00

Thanks to all involved in organising this beast of an event, you have succeeded in putting on the toughest 100m im the UK by a long way!

Along with many others I underestimated what to expect. Thanks to Luke and Fiona who ensured I didnt quit at CP1!! and kept me going throughout the night.

I learnt a lot from the experience so although I only completed the first 50m am satisfied this time round and will return next year. Among the key learning points are to trust in your instincts and improve on navigation skills (too many mistakes early on and during the night cost a good few hours). Limit time spent at checkpoints and eat plenty. This is definitley one for trail shoes, normal Asics dont cut the mustard in the lakes as my feet are rather bruised.

Congratulations to all who finished, its one hell of an achievement and I'm in awe of you all.

11/08/2008 at 14:19

Kev and Fiona - glad to hear you are both in one piece. Sorry that we lost you somewhere at the end of stage 1 Fiona. I though that you were also behind us during CP2 but obviously not. Good luck with UTMB.

Well done getting to PB, Kev. Did you see the Scottish guy who hurt himself just after B'mere. I hope that he was OK.

mandH - sorry I missed speaking to you but not sorry that they had obviously moved the dead cow!

I hope that Marc gives us some accrediation for getting to/past half way. The IH was the tougher of the two after all!!

The only fault, I could really see, was the lack of grid references on the maps.

11/08/2008 at 14:41

Thanks go to all concerned in the organisation, a fantastic route and very well organised. I didn't catch any names other than Marc, so apologies.

Enormous thanks to all the marshalls, particularly those at CP9 which seemed the "short straw". Without the support and good humour of these guys it would have been a lot more difficult. A special mention must surely go to the entertainers in Lakes Runner, a memorable stop for all the right reasons.

I entered this with 3 friends and none of us have ever done anything like it before, it was tough but incredibly enjoyable. Granted, we only did the 50 and it took 19 hrs so we'd be a little slow for the 100. However, we will definitely be entering again next year, and spreading the word.

Many thanks again. 

11/08/2008 at 17:18

A huge congratulations to all who took part in such a great event, whether you finished or not. This was my first event as a marshall (CP3 and CP9) and I had a fantastic weekend. 

I'm glad to hear that Steve, Fiona and Pete are all alive and kicking!

I'll definitely be back next year but this time as an entrant in the 100.

11/08/2008 at 18:12

Hi All,

First off a huge WELL DONE to all competitors! I was on RAYNET Control at Coniston (providing the radio comms for the weekend).

All the raynet staff and those at the race control were in awe of all the competitors, it was appauling weather and a huge achievement to even finish the race, never mind in a good time!

I would like to express our thanks to the organising team, especially Mandy & others at race control. You guys were awake for over 24 hours organising the event and keeping the competitors welcome when they arrived back! (I couldn't manage that and was lucky enough to get 4 hours sleep!).

It was a very well run event, and definately one I hope to enter in the future!

Thanks again!

Ben

11/08/2008 at 18:51

I just want to add my thanks to all the organisers and helpers on the route.

As an Ironman triathlete who had never ran more than 26 miles in 1 go (on the road) I have never done anything so hard.  A big thank you has to go to Phil, Oz and Mark for the company on the 1st 60 miles.  Another thank you has to go to the 4 guys who helped me over the last 10 miles from Chapel Stile.  Bearing in mind it was pitch black and the conditions weren't too good, I'm not sure if I would have made it without their help- cheers guys and I hope I didn't hold you back too much.

One of the highlights was the check point at Lakes Runners- after 85 miles of running it was just what I needed, even though I missed the live band!!

Finally I would like to thank all the people who sponsored me and hopefully I will have raised in the region of £500 for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.  You can still sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/richardbardon

This is a fantastic event to enter- I would highly recommend it.

11/08/2008 at 21:15
Many thanks to Marc, all at the checkpoints and other competitors!  This was my first long distance event and I thoroughly enjoyed it (although there was a point after CP8 where I did question my sanity).  The support, encouragement, food, ibuprofen and tunes (at Lakes Runner - cheesy 90s dance anthems by the time I got there - too late for the live band) all made a huge difference. 

Thanks Ben for keeping me company - hope you made it home safely, I didn't envy you spending another night camping - I was asleep as soon as I got to Ambleside!

Thanks again to you all, looking forward to next years event already!
11/08/2008 at 21:29

To all Competitors well done - we hope you are all in one piece and on the road to recovery.

Giselle and Tony (CP 5)

12/08/2008 at 10:19
Thanks to the organisers who set a very challenging race up and especially a thanks to all the volunteers who helped at the checkpoints. I know we wern't the only ones who were cold and tired and they never offered anything but humour and encouragement.
This was my first ultra event and It was such a callenge I don't think any race is going to come anywhere near it .
Finally could I just thank Dale and Andy who kept me sane in the very, very long and wet night. It was a pleasure to be running, sorry walking in such good company. Not so sure about the purple line though !
Thanks everybody
1 to 20 of 33 messages