Vintage Weekend

Gauging interest

11 messages
22/02/2012 at 22:45

I know a few people who are interested in & use vintage gear.   I thought it might be a laugh to have a weekend where we could use the old stuff - whether that's static camp or backpack.

A few beers, bit of nostalgia.   I'd expect gear to range from 1950's to 1980's.  Also not an exclusive event so folk who are interested in seeing the old gear but don't have any themselves can still come along & join the fun.

Venue - north of England, TBA.  Date - TBA,  end of Autumn

A site to whet your appetite!  

Edited: 22/02/2012 at 22:48
23/02/2012 at 16:17
Hmm, interesting idea, Ross, but I'm not at all sure I'd like to return to that vintage unbreathable Peter Storm Kagoul with its instantly recognisable plasticy smell, or those Eurohike boots from Millets that required one to wear a bread bag on each foot to keep dry - the fore-runner of Sealskins, perhaps?
23/02/2012 at 16:25

Now that's an original idea for a meet!

Unfortunately, I don't have anything that would qualify as 'vintage' (except myself of course) but oop north in the back end of the year sounds good to me.

Metric Kate wrote (see)
.... boots f... required one to wear a bread bag on each foot to keep dry ...

Mine still do

23/02/2012 at 16:45
And we could bring Ed along he's vintage

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

23/02/2012 at 18:03

I have absolutely no wish whatsoever to use the sort of gear I was using in the mid 70's. In fact, I was lucky to survive... kapok-filled cotton sleeping bag in an advanced state of decay due to mildew... my uncle's old leaky boots... Marechal Picardy tent... broken-framed canvas backpack... useless cotton clothing... PVC jacket and overtrousers... chunky rubber torch... no stove... no pots and pans... not enough maps to stretch to all the places I walked to... £17.33 to last me for a whole month!

I'm not counting the weight of my geology hammer and chisel... or the increasing load of rocks and rubble I collected along the way!

If this meet goes ahead... I don't mind popping along for a laugh... but I guess if I turn up with loads of modern kit then I'll have to camp some distance away so as not to spoil things.

23/02/2012 at 18:10
Rosswm wrote (see)

I'd expect gear to range from 1950's to 1980's.  Also not an exclusive event so folk who are interested in seeing the old gear but don't have any themselves can still come along & join the fun.

I suppose I could ask my Dad - he might have some stuff from the 70's.
24/02/2012 at 11:21
Interesting kit from the 70's, including a Marechal Picardy tent - I've got lots.
27/02/2012 at 14:06
Cool - I'll revisit this thread later in the year. 
19/03/2012 at 19:41

not got loads of vintage gear most got binned but have got a few old Karrimor sacks from late 80's I think and an original Vaude Lizard tent, at best I may have an old Phoenix jacket from late 80's as well ( could use an old set of wooden ski poles rather than modern ones though  ).

Dependant on location and date I would be interested.

18/04/2012 at 09:51
Great idea! Will dust off some of the old stoves. I still have an old Berghaus Cyclops Roc. Tents are a thing though as the Ultimate pea pod leaks like a sieve. not sure on the Phoenix tent though.
18/04/2012 at 09:56

Go 'proper vintage'... you know you want to!

That book is highly recommended reading.

Your say
email image
11 messages