Cost of C2C

13 messages
22/03/2012 at 16:25

My wife and I just spent four days booking  ten  nights in B&B's along the C2C from St Bees to Richmond. We were somewhat surprised at the price may of these places  are asking. Many want as much as $110 American Dollars per night. Blame it on the week American dollar, or the popularity of the walk, but it is costly. Part of the problem was that  many of the places, although wonderful, offered things we were hardly interested in like a welcoming a glass of wine and scones, frilly comforters on beds, wi-fi, or imported teas, and the like. Maybe we should have gone with hostels but they're relatively expensive too. Anyway, were looking forward to the walk and let the price be damned! Leaving St Bees on April 7.

Ric in New Mexico, USA

22/03/2012 at 16:50

Ric, a comfortable night and a hearty breakfast will make the walk that much more enjoyable.

It isn't a cheap holiday but how many times are you going to do it?

Have a great time

22/03/2012 at 17:08
Everything in the UK is expensive.... sometimes justifiabley so but most times its just a plain rip-off. The glass of (no doubt cheap) wine on arrival is mearly an inexpensive way of justifying the horribly expensive room rates. Unfortunately in the UK business's work on the basis that they have it, you want it so you pay whats being charged or go with out. Just look at the cost of trains and then look at the huge number of empty off peak train running all over the place.

Anyway I'm sure you'll have a great and memorable trip just forget about the cost.
22/03/2012 at 17:48

I'm not sure how you managed to find so many places offering so many frills, but if it was down to me to book a load of bednights along the route, I'm sure I could have found cheaper places, without the frills. Of course, it's always nice to find a complimentary chocolate on your pillow, but it can taste a bit sour when you realise it's probably bumped the bill up by £5!

As for 'imported teas'... I'm not aware of any tea plantations in Britain, so my guess is that it's all imported!

Edited: 22/03/2012 at 17:50
22/03/2012 at 18:10

One factor may be that we did all the booking online, not on the phone. I got the feeling that the less expensive places do not have internet, but only take reservations by phone. Really weren't sure that we actually needed to book ahead for every desitnation, but didn't want to take a chance of being left out in the cold. Anyway, we're looking forward to walking in Alfred Wainwright's footsteps. Thanks for the comments.

Rics in New Mexico

22/03/2012 at 18:50

Hotel accommodation in the UK is expensive compared to most of the rest of the world, in my experience.  The bigger chains are probably the worst; there's a bog-standard Holiday Inn near my work that charges about £130 a night for a room (goes off to check: oh, it looks like it's only £90 now...).

Looking at the first few entries in this accommodation guide, bed&breakfast prices seem to be around £25 to £50.  They all look to be 'traditional guest houses', rather than bigger hotels.

A similar guide at Sherpa Vans looks a bit pricier, and larger establishments.

22/03/2012 at 18:55
BTW, Paddy, there is some tea cultivation in the UK; I remember seeing an article on it in one of the gardening or country TV programmes (which you won't have seen, of course...).  It's only camelia sinensis, after all...
22/03/2012 at 20:06

Here's the actual prices we are paying for my wife and myself in pounds. Most places were found using the above "accomodation guide" (Coast to Coast Guides.co.uk)

Queen's Hotel, St Bees - 44. Low Cockhow, Ennerdale - 56. Nook Farm, Rosthwaite - 68.   Town Head Farm, Grasmere - 64.  Noran Bank Farm, Patterdale - 58.  Hermitage, Shap- 58.  George Hotel, Orton - 70!. Fletcher House, Kirkby Stephen -70!.  Keld Bunk House -47.  Walpardo, Reeth -60. Enjoy. Rics 

22/03/2012 at 20:40
For those of you following this thread and interested in real English Tea.....English Grown Tea
22/03/2012 at 20:43

Yep it's not a cheap place for accomodation , the UK .

In a pub/small hotel (a decent setup with bath and and good quality food) then £70 for B & B for a double  is at least what they charge around my part of the UK.

£44 is a bargain when you consider most Hostels charge £15 per head these days (-probably  a bunk in a room with strangers - usually without a breakfast...)

22/03/2012 at 21:30
In a crowded little island, inflated land and property prices push up the cost of living in all areas;- accommodation/shops/catering etc. etc.
It makes what we have to offer in UK seem very poor value compared with elsewhere in the world.
But that same smallness means we cram a lot into a small space. Have a good trip.
22/03/2012 at 21:40

I have a friend who owns a moderately successful B&B - his prices are on a par with other similar establishments - he works hard and has far from an extravagant lifestyle.

I would agree that there are some expensive things in the UK, I would certainly not agree that "everything in the UK is expensive". I appreciate, however, that "expensive" is a relative term and means different things to different people.

Incidentally one of the least expensive and more enjoyable holidays I had was cycling the C2C using B&Bs.

22/03/2012 at 23:41
Okay,  All interesting comments, and a healthy discussion. I've got to go order a pack cover. (Just in case it rains.)  See you on the C2C!Ric and RosemaryNew Mexico, USA
Your say
email image
13 messages