Crossing river near Achnashellac

6 messages
SD
25/04/2013 at 15:09

I aim to be there in a couple of weeks any possiblity of getting across the river heading towards the Bearness bothy i.e without having to walk a fair way either east or west ish along the road to the brdges

25/04/2013 at 16:22

I know that the nearest bridge is at Craig but I certainly don't know of any crossing around Achnashellac.

Ask the same question on the Scottish Hills web site someone there may have a better idea

25/04/2013 at 18:37

I've wondered that myself for a while - fancy a route from Attadale to Achnashellach.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any crossing other than the bridge at Craig - and I've walked the track on the south side from opposite Achnashellach to Craig on one occasion.

If anyone else knows a sneaky crossing I'd be interested too.

25/04/2013 at 18:40

It depends if you are prepared to strip to your undies, and maybe swim if needed.

25/04/2013 at 22:20

Good path into Bearnais from Achintee, near Strath Carron station. No river crossings and less overall ascent and descent. Longer route but easier.

If you come in from Craig and via the path to Pollan Buidhe and Beallach Bearnais there is NO path down from the beallach to the bothy and it is peat hags all the way (~5kms). 

NB. Last summer the 'grate' in the bothy stove was broken and getting a fire going wasn't easy. It may have been repaired since then, but be prepared.

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 22:20
25/04/2013 at 23:52

Cathyyjc. It depends how urgent your need to cross is.A"sneaky" crossing I use  every time is.If leaving Achnashellach for Bearnais.Walk along the road W to  a gate on the leftside at GR.  NG 957 450 .Take landrover track (it's only an old track thro. a rough empty field to rail bridge at GR. NG 959 441, about 4Km..   Quickly cross the bridge . Take a rough bearing 170 deg. up the  hill past  Stalla Dubh and pick up the FP.down to the bothy. Not difficult and the FP.can be picked out . Obviously in reverse if heading  W over to Torridon. It's not as if there is a train every ten minutes. It's often done by locals I understand.

Cheers.

Your say
email image
6 messages