GO Outdoors Discount Card

1 to 20 of 35 messages
23/05/2009 at 13:06

Hi and thanks for having a soapbox forum because this gets right on my goat.

Why on earth should we all be charged £4 a year from Go Outdooors to be able to "take advatange of their special prices" when in reality you can buy the same products elswhere for the same price with out being forced to pay for a card?

Seems like a cheap shot to make lots of 4 quids for absolutly nothing to me.

For instance the first product i thought i would google was the Scarpa Manta GSB Walking Boot £188.99 (Go Outdoors guarnteed lowest UK Price) but Google found them for £178.49 and without having to buy a stupid card.

23/05/2009 at 13:36

I share your frustration G.

The card, as well as raising revenue, is also a method to obtain contact details to send leaflets proclaiming, for example, "Massive Warehouse Clearance" which is all a bit DFS for me.

I think their original business model is stretched: a single large store in a prime outdoor city (Sheffield - lots of walkers/climbers because of proximity to the Peak District) scouring the industry for end of season, end of range and surplus stock etc worked for one store but not for 12.

What stock is available from these sources is stretched too thinly to maintain the genuine bargains from decent brands. They seem to have moved mainstream and concentrate more on the family camping market.

Not my first point of call anymore.

23/05/2009 at 13:40

The £4 charge for the discount card goes into the very successful Go Outdoors staff training fund.

Thought everyone knew that.

23/05/2009 at 13:46

Staff training - Go Outdoors - same sentence; confused, got headache, must lie down now.

LotC - your next post will give you Munro status!

23/05/2009 at 19:48

Go Outdoors, in general, are cheaper than other shops, usually 10% below RRP. Compared to Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham and other city chains they are significantly cheaper. Occassionally some exceptional bargains are to be found (Freney XT's were £150 recently, RAB eVent jackets for under £100). The service is pretty average, the shop layout an upmarket jumble-sale and the overall shopping experience akin to poking oneself in the eye. However, it is cheap. The discount card will aid the prices, and it doesn't take much purchasing to get your money back, and being sent those mailouts is a decent way of keeping people involved.

My major objection to them is the amount of sales: January Madness, Easter Extravaganza, Warehouse Clearout, Summer Superduper, Autumn Awesomeness, etc.. Mostly the sales sell the same products that they failed to sell last time (eg. their own-brand boot bag for about £3. It's that cheap because it's too small to fit many boots in.).

Here is my blog: http://gearandmountains.wordpress.com/ Come have a look!

23/05/2009 at 21:47
Well, Just don't go there, don't buy the card and shop somewhere else. Personally I've had loads of bargains well worth the cost of the card. The discount also applies to guide books and OS maps. Not to mention that they also have a price match+ (including against other om-line shops)......
23/05/2009 at 22:48

Totally agree with HA. Why do people whinge about things they don't need to bother with, if a mag annoys you then don't buy it or read it, if a piece of kit is rubbish then don't buy it and if you don't want to pay £4 for a membership to use a shop then don't! Go elsewhere! Excuse the pun! My missus got a down jacket for £58 there once that we saw in four shops in Ambleside for over £120. £4... bargain!!

Go Outdoors has supplied me with many bargains and has helpful staff and is always a place I go first as they sell decent gear at online prices and are extremely competitive compared to most outdor shops and have a good variety. I'm really not arsed if they want my address to send me a leaflet every once in a while as I'm into the OUTDOORS so someone sending me a simple leaflet with OUTDOORS gear in it doesn't really bother me in the slighest. I actually asked them at the till to not send me the leaflet and have since never received one as they just take the option off on there computer system at the till and respect my wishes as expected. 

Really cheeses me off how nothing in the outdoor world escapes being slagged off! They are a decent store and treat there staff and customers well and give us all competitive prices in a world where so many outdoor shops rip us off with stupid RRP's.

< rant over > 

24/05/2009 at 08:50

I pop into Go Outdoors regularly, and the £4 for the card is a bargain!

Here's an example.

Lifesystems Mountain Leader First Aid Kit:

Tiso- £40.

http://www.tiso.com/shop/life-systems/mountain_leader_first_aid/?_affid=99&_cid=1

Go Outdoors- £36

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifesystems-mountain-leader-first-aid-kit/COREEEDD1050

Now you have your £4 back, shop a bit more:

Scarpa SL M3 Boots

Tiso-£175

http://www.tiso.com/shop/scarpa/sl-m3-bx-boots/

Go Outdoors- £157

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-sl-m3-walking-boots-mens/COREBMAA66002N

The other I bought  a pair of Outdoor Designs Summit Pro unlined mitts for £4.99.

Here they are on sale for £24.99 at Needle Sports

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Hands_107.html

Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here complaining about particular shops or brands actually work for their competitors.

If you have a VALID reason to moan, fair enough, but it seems a bit poor if you ask me.

24/05/2009 at 09:20

what jamie says

i had a rab

bergen for £99 when the cheapest i saw it anywhere else was £150 with most shops selling for £180 at the time.

went there yesterday lokking at some berghaus packlites but have found some on the net £20 odd quid cheaper plus my card has run out so its swings and roundabouts.

24/05/2009 at 13:23
A few weeks ago I bought some Sprayway w/p mitts with microfibre lining in TKMax doubly reduced to a fiver. Didn't need a discount card.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

24/05/2009 at 20:02

I'll qualify my earlier post by adding that I think Go Outdoors staff are helpful in the same way that Tesco staff are helpful without being particularly knowledgeable about their company's stock.

Before Go opened in Loughborough, there was a very good local independent outdoor shop that carried a good range of clothing and equipment from most major manufacturers.  The owners and their staff could offer good, dependable advice.  There were always bargains to be had without the need to buy a 'discount' card and anything not carried as standard stock could be ordered with certainty that it would arrive within days.  Membership of an outdoors-related association, such as YHA, BCU or BMC, would qualify for at least 10% discount.

No doubt Go Outdoors played it's part in the closing down of this shop, in the same way that supermarkets have had an impact on many small businesses.

Go Outdoors is sometimes convenient, but it's hardly a gear shopping experience. I would rather deal with a smaller retailer who has varied stock, knowledge and interest in outdoor activities.

24/05/2009 at 20:15

"Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here complaining about particular shops or brands actually work for their competitors."

Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here defending a particular shop actually work for them.

Edited: 24/05/2009 at 20:16
24/05/2009 at 20:20
I quite like that analysis, LOTC: I think of Go Outdoors as being like B&Q.

Here is my blog: http://gearandmountains.wordpress.com/ Come have a look!

25/05/2009 at 09:32
Grendel. wrote (see)

Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here complaining about particular shops or brands actually work for their competitors.

If you have a VALID reason to moan, fair enough, but it seems a bit poor if you ask me.

Who do you suggest decides which reasons for moaning are valid?

Thought Police? You? I don't think so!

Do us a favour.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 09:33
25/05/2009 at 09:37
Nobody has to buy the card so I didn't; I borrow my mate's :0)

25/05/2009 at 14:46
jokaro wrote (see)

"Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here complaining about particular shops or brands actually work for their competitors."

Sometimes I wonder if the people coming on here defending a particular shop actually work for them.

I work for a Railway Infrastructure company.

The original post was by someone who has made ONE post (the one above), has no profile, history, gallery-nothing. I've seen it a lot over the years, people coming on, making a deragotory post about a particular retailer, and then disappearing.

So no Colm, I'm not the thought police. I just like to keep an open mind.

25/05/2009 at 18:08

Ey up Grendel - I've re-read your first post on this thread and I cannot see how it indicates you are keeping an open mind - your view is nailed to your mast. This is evidenced by the effort you have taken to find examples of GO providing better value than other retailers.

If you are open minded surely you would accept that some people's otudoor gear needs are met by some retailers and others' needs met by, erm, others - and people can express their  views openly on a public forum.

Unlike Colm, I don't think you are the thought police, just that you are a very naughty boy (or girl).

I'd just like to make it clear I do not work for any outdoors retailer, railway infrastucture company or any other organisation for that matter.

'Cos I've been made redundant...harumph!

Fair point about it being the OP's first post though...

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 18:23
26/05/2009 at 01:32
jokaro wrote (see)

Ey up Grendel - I've re-read your first post on this thread and I cannot see how it indicates you are keeping an open mind - your view is nailed to your mast. This is evidenced by the effort you have taken to find examples of GO providing better value than other retailers.

Entirely correct, but only in the context of disproving the original post.

If you are open minded surely you would accept that some people's otudoor gear needs are met by some retailers and others' needs met by, erm, others - and people can express their  views openly on a public forum.

I agree 100%- that's why I shop about. Some people I know can't see past a particular major retailer- even when I point out that they can get the same stuff cheaper from a small independant retailer only 10 minutes away.

Unlike Colm, I don't think you are the thought police, just that you are a very naughty boy (or girl).

At least I'm not the Messiah then!

I'd just like to make it clear I do not work for any outdoors retailer, railway infrastucture company or any other organisation for that matter.

'Cos I've been made redundant...harumph!

Fair point about it being the OP's first post though...

As I recall, a tactic used by the established (mainly) Italian fast food industry (chip shops to you and me) in the 1970s when Chinese takeaways came on the scene, was to plant the seed of doubt in peoples minds about the competition, and to this day there are people who will swear that Chinese takeways contain cats and dogs.....

As for the Go card being used to compile a list of customers- nothing says you have to give your real name or address

Yours,

Tuppence Merriweather,

The Grove,

Oswestry.

26/05/2009 at 09:14

I should have spotted it was a first post - it does seem more relevant now...we'll see if there are any further posts! I doubt it because s/he has not responded to the thread.

The post maybe disingenuous because all publicity is good publicity...?

Edited: 26/05/2009 at 09:14
26/05/2009 at 13:45

"to this day there are people who will swear that Chinese takeways contain cats and dogs" - they don't? i demand my money back.

you only know how many posts someone has made if they display the information. some people are shy.

(ye gods! 8000 posts of drivel. where do i find it all from. i need to sit down more)

Edited: 26/05/2009 at 13:48
1 to 20 of 35 messages