Monday Tips

What's yours?

1 to 20 of 90 messages
01/03/2010 at 16:46
As you might have noticed, we run a regular Monday Kit Tip which is intended to be a nugget of advice that comes in useful in a practical sort of way. Recently we've had 'how to maximise your sleeping bag tips', how to carry an ice axe so it's easily reachable and so on.

So how about sharing your favourite tips with other OMers. Just post them on this thread and we'll run the best ones as articles on a Monday morning. It could be anything from camping short-cuts, through general hill skills to, well, your imagination is the only limit...

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

01/03/2010 at 18:04

If your wildcamping trip is in continuous heavy rain, day after day after day then my solution is one night in a hostel or camping barn located near a pub. Things will always look better when you are hungover but dry in the morning. Then if you still can't be bothered with the continuous downpour then a hostel is more likely to be located on or near a bus route the hell out of there. Here's to a third very wet summer in a row!

Twiglegs - I'm guessing it could be in the "on the hill" section. It was only recent so if not on the front page at the top where the recent articles and tips are located then check out that section.

Another tip, take two ultra light pack towels. One for you and the other to mop out your tent.

Drying stuff on your pack as you walk only really works if its free to blow about a bit. Wet clothes can often dry faster when it stops raining by being worn. This is especially true of the good synthetic materials. Merino wool absorbs water so if you get drenched it will hold on to that water for longer. Believe me if you're like a drowned rat when you pitch your tent change those merino undercrackers they won't dry on you.

Apologies for the less than optimistic tips. I had a very wet series of weeks away last year and learnt a bit about drying out.

01/03/2010 at 18:08
01/03/2010 at 18:11

One tip (appropriately) that I might be responsible for originating but wouldn't be so bold as to claim as original thinking...

Trekking pole tips can get caught on stuff when strapped to your pack and are a pain going through the airport. I've found that most can be rendered harmless with a 10cm length of garden hose cut so that it sticks out beyond the tip of the trekking pole. If you get the right match of hose to pole it makes a very good friction fit that shouldn't fall off.

John

01/03/2010 at 19:07

If you carry a digitial camera (of a size that can be misplaced) on The Fells; save a file on any memory cards that you will use, name it 'camera owner information'; list your contact details within the file. I've made a jpg file for each card I carry, always keeping the file on the card.

01/03/2010 at 20:23
A good idea is to carry a laminated 'credit sized' card with your details, next of kin, blood group, any allergies, etc. Hopefully it will never be needed but could be helpful to emergency services, etc.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

01/03/2010 at 23:06
Instead of using two UL towels, what's wrong with the squidgy cleaning cloths you can find in pretty much any supermarket. Multi use - wipe up the tent, a pan handle when you are cooking as well as drying yourself off if you get as beyond the contemplating a wash stage.
01/03/2010 at 23:45
Don't eat yellow snow.....
02/03/2010 at 00:04
Mr Sworld wrote (see)
Don't eat yellow snow.....

Or Brown, or Red

Brown is obvious. Red for  2 reasons

1. Could be blood, and don't know what it might contain. Hep. C, Hiv, etc.
  2. In certain parts of the world Red snow can be a fungus that grows in snow at certian altitudes. It won't kill you, but can cause you to have 'the runs'. Not what you want at 6000m, though I've been told it can't grow higher than 6500m. ?

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

02/03/2010 at 00:35
I would think that not melting snow that is any other colour than 'white' would be self-evident.....
02/03/2010 at 01:18

Not all snow is compleatly 'white' depending on the type of snow falling and how it settles, and/or freezes. If you dig into snow pack you can find many colours from greenish blue to white, you will also find 'different' shades of white.

Depending on how these different types/layers of snow "bond" together can depend on weather they are stable or not. If not stable this can be when they avalanche. H

02/03/2010 at 09:06
Don't put you're only supply of toilet paper down on damp ground, it'll turn to mush....fast.
02/03/2010 at 09:18

wow.

Just to pick up on what Twiglegs said about packtowels. Cleaning supplies shops do a pack (2) of super absorbent cloths for 87p. I have one for me and one for the tent.

02/03/2010 at 23:10
I find the plastic wine bottle corks, suitably drilled, make feet/protectors for trekking pole tips.
Microwave chinese meals usually come in a plastic bowl which makes a good strong UL plate.
I use a super absorbent vinalon cloth cut in half to wipe down the tent.
02/03/2010 at 23:37
Neil1 wrote (see)

If you carry a digitial camera (of a size that can be misplaced) on The Fells; save a file on any memory cards that you will use, name it 'camera owner information'; list your contact details within the file. I've made a jpg file for each card I carry, always keeping the file on the card.

That is kind of like the old film camera technique of yor first photograph being a card containing your details. Never done it myself but it does make sense. More so now that the memory cards allow a greater number of images to be stored hence being potentially a greater loss.

If anyone gives blood they get given a card with their name, blood group and a unique reference number. I always wondered if the police could use that to formally identify you. I mean if you are in a mess and can't identify yourself due to injuries or death then they would be able to confirm your blood group matches the card then contact the NBS to find your home address on their records. If they are not available to the poolice then I'd imagine they are linked somehow to your medical records, perhaps I'm wrong (would like to know if anyone has any idea). At least there is the full name on the card which I'm sure the police could use to identify you. They can with my name as there are not many people with my surname and very few indeed with the first and middle name too. whatever I do I always have my blood donor card with me and often my house keys with a keyring with my blood group on it.

On your phone always have a duplicate copy of your next of kin phone, email and messenger details on it but with the letters ICE in front of them. It has been widely known that ICE identifies your emergency contact. it means "In Case of Emergency". My additional tip is to have a second, back up contact in case they can't get hold of the first one.

Another tip is if you are able to leave your mobille phone on when out walking. If you do go missing for whatever reason it is supposed to be possible to use base stations to triangulate your location if you can get a signal. Failing that it records the last location you were when the phone connected, either by being turned on or off. Or at least that is what I've heard. Anything that can help reduce the area needing to be searched is an advantage. It also means you have to keep your phone charged.

22/03/2010 at 19:36

http://s4.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/26404/gallery/fags_small.jpg?width=175&height=152&mode=max

http://file:///Users/Allan/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png

Edited: 22/03/2010 at 19:36
SD
07/04/2010 at 10:45

To save on fuel most food doesn't need  boiling water to warm it, so no need to bring to a boil. Similar when mashing tea just bring one half of the water req'd to boil to infuse the tea then warm up the other half of the water.Waste to boil all the lot and then have to wait for it to cool down to drink it.

07/04/2010 at 23:07

SD, imo, sounds like to much 'faff'. If travelling 'light' with only one pot, you may as well heat the whole cup up, then don't need to empty half out into cup and add more to pot.

For me half the enjoyment of a cup of tea, coffee, etc. is "reflecting" for 10mins or so , while sipping as it cools down.

09/04/2010 at 17:51

I suffer from plantar fasciitis in both feet, as I expect many other walkers and runners do. I went to see a podiatrist, who took a plaster of paris mould for my feet in the relaxed arched position in order to build me some custom orthotics, for which he charged £380.00.

They did make a difference to my walking comfort, but something was bothering me. Why did I never get plantar fasciitis pain when walking around the house barefoot without the arch supporting orthotics?

I decided to experiment. I wore tightly laced training shoes without the orthotics and the p.f. pain the next day was very bad. A few days later, after that pain had worn off, I wore the same training shoes again without the orthotics, but laced very loosely. The next day I had no problem at all! My feet felt just as good as they would have done had I worn the orthotics!

My tip is this: There is probably no need for expensive custom orthotics. Just buy a good pair of insoles like green Superfeet and loosen the laces of your boots to give room for your foot arch to flex up and down inside the boots. Tighten the laces at the ankle instead.

The actual problem in my case was the tight lacing pushing the foot arch down to a flattened position. The orthotics obviously stopped this from happening by raising and supporting the arches - but the same remedial effect was achieved by loosening the laces.

Edited: 09/04/2010 at 18:11
09/04/2010 at 20:17
why superfeet. why not just get the lacing correct.
1 to 20 of 90 messages