Right or Wrong ????

You decide!!

1 to 20 of 146 messages
31/01/2012 at 16:26

Mother carries toddler while rock climbing

Helmet good enough for her but not the baby!!

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

31/01/2012 at 16:38
The helmet is incidental, IMHO. You're not in control in a fall, even top-roping, so there's a good chance you'd crush the child. Then there's the impact as the rope comes taut, and the load rating of the baby carrier or whatever she's carrying the baby in. Okay, a tight top-rope means you won't fall far, and the impact will be light, but I don't think this is a great idea.
31/01/2012 at 16:48
That's just dumb, there's nothing wrong with getting the kid involved but at least wait until she's old enough to climb herself.

She's obviously just doing it for the attention and for that reason she's a numpty.
KC
31/01/2012 at 16:49

IMHO clearly wrong. The child is always at greater risk than the mother. Although the RSPAs head said it could benefit the child I fail to understand how any parent could put their child in potential dangerous conditions.

However it is her choice. Her child may think otherwise in the years to come, if she survives.

31/01/2012 at 18:04

Some one should have a word with her next time she's seen doing this.

Its down right irresponsible and dangerous to be doing this.If she is ignorant to the dangers,then she shouldn't be rock climbing at all.

She has a choice but the child hasn't. If i'd have witnessed this I would have phoned the police.It borders on neglect and abuse.

There,I feel better for that

31/01/2012 at 18:12

Right/wrong?

Such a binary view of the world.

Inadvisable perhaps. Open to criticism if you care for such things.

A child getting a lot of parental attention and stimulation. There's a hell of a lot of children getting little of either, or worse.

31/01/2012 at 18:14
I don't see it as a problem. Over the past few decades there have been howls of protest at mums who took their kids on adventures. I think Dervla Murphy and Gwen Moffat both got frowned on for doing that, but you don't hear their daughters complaining. I remember a couple from London backpacked their baby along the GR20, mostly getting smiles, but sometimes getting tut-tutted for doing it. I'd be more concerned if the kid was being subjected to cigarette smoke or being fed junk food. I wish my mum had taken me rock-climbing, but she only took me up Pendle Hill!
31/01/2012 at 18:18

Thanks for making me click a link to The Daily Outrage, Dids

Clean rock, tight top rope. Lucky kid. Better than being sat in front of CeeBeebies.

Some of the comments under the article are pretty much what I'd expect.

My Arse

Edited: 31/01/2012 at 18:22
31/01/2012 at 18:21
Mrs. Nesbit wrote (see)

The comments under the article are pretty much what I'd expect.

You read the comments on the Daily Mail??

You may need some Mind Bleach.....poor thing.

31/01/2012 at 18:25

Only the the few that were showing, thankfully.

I fear the wisdom and wit in the other 400 and odd would have made a stain too indelible for even the Mind Bleach™ to remove.

My Arse

31/01/2012 at 18:28

Doesn't matter how safe it is - bottom line, cutting through all the physco-babble BS -  it's unsafe enough for the woman & her partner to need a helmet so why not the bairn?

It's not about wrapping kids in cotton wool which is what she & her supporters accuse her critics of.   She claims it's for the benefit of the kid.  I suspect it's about herself - it makes her feel better, makes her feel good.  Underlying issues perhaps?

Also never understood the point of taking toddlers up mountains, especially in the winter.

Surprised at RSPoA's response. 

31/01/2012 at 18:35

My Arse

31/01/2012 at 18:38
Rosswm wrote (see)

She claims it's for the benefit of the kid.  I suspect it's about herself - it makes her feel better, makes her feel good.  Underlying issues perhaps?

I thought you were cutting through all the psychobabble BS?

Looks like you just ploughed straight into another tranche of it.

Edited: 31/01/2012 at 18:39
31/01/2012 at 18:51
Reminds me of a discussion on UK climbing, about Kaisergebirge Wall in the Pass. When I firsy lead it I was quite pleased with myself, but a few minutes later Eric Jones and Cliff Philips wandered up and soloed it. Someone else remarked that they had seen Al Harris soloing it with his child on his back in a child carrier

I wonder what the Daily Rage would make of that
31/01/2012 at 19:01
I think it's because the child desn't have a helmet on.
If you saw the child in the front seat of a car unbelted would you think the same.
31/01/2012 at 19:08
As long as she doesn't want to take my kids climbing without a helmet I don't have any problem with it.
31/01/2012 at 19:14
Rosswm wrote (see)
Also never understood the point of taking toddlers up mountains, especially in the winter.

Because parents don't want to stop going out when they have children I suspect?

31/01/2012 at 19:40
Nick P 10 wrote (see)

Because parents don't want to stop going out when they have children I suspect?

Which IMO, when the kid are 4 months old is selfish.   Maybe a walk in the park or woods but not up a mountain, in winter.

My partners climbed a lot more than me & she doesn't agree with the woman & the adults-only helmets caught her eye straight away.

Anyway just responding to Dids question - no skin off my nose either way.  Our lad gets a good balance of outdoor activity, martial arts, skate-park, TV, consoles, junk food & he wears a helmet when on the climbing wall.  His welfare is my main concern & I don't give a sh*t if my views aren't aligned with anyone elses on here & given the bigger issues in the world I'm not going to lose any sleep over the risks this student or any climber, famous or not, choices to expose their own kids too.

31/01/2012 at 20:35

They are wearing their helmets because otherwise they'd have to leave them on the beach and they'd get nicked by Swansea Jacks.

There is no danger from falling rock on these cliffs.

That climber knows how taught the rope is and whether she's going to fall off.

That baby is in no danger. It was more at risk in the back seat when they drove down the South Gower road.

31/01/2012 at 20:52

So they took helmets with them that they didn't need?   Didn't want to risk them being nicked from the pile of other gear at the bottom of the crag so stuck them on their nappers?

The bairn maybe safer than it was in the car or even than it is being carried upstairs to bed (no safety rope or protection in that scenario).  The angle of the crag etc maybe exaggerated in the picture - whatever.  I don't buy the Swansea Jack line - they have assessed the risk as requiring helmets for the adults but not the kid = fail.

Maybe when the kids older she can trail up a winter mountain without an ice axe while her qualified mother carries one.

1 to 20 of 146 messages