This is dire.

Anyone else abit miffed at the weather

1 to 20 of 79 messages
21/01/2012 at 00:13

Anyone else up in Scottyland mugged off with this weather?

Wave after wave of LOW's battering me shiney top.

ok, there was abrief lull last w.end after 3 months of feckin grimness but this is bad. very bad.And its started again

HELP. I live in a swamp.

21/01/2012 at 00:23

seems to me that come weekend when i want to play out the fooking winds pick up and mother nature kicks off,every bloody weekend,well it better not next weekend as im out testing my new shineys in the Lakes..

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

21/01/2012 at 09:10

according to the met office its coming this way. Again.

since October theres been two breaks in the weather , one last week for 3/4 days and the same at the beginning of December. i had to work both............

my enthusiasm is some what damped.

edit. dampened isnt spelt damped !

Edited: 21/01/2012 at 09:29
21/01/2012 at 09:12
Strangest 'winter' i can remember. It's like 3 months of November.

21/01/2012 at 09:17

Aye - been very poor quality.

Managed out 20 days since november - but most of them have been short, windswept and very damp.

TOBLERONE wrote (see)

since October theres been two breaks in the weather , one last week for 3/4 days and the same at the beginning of December. i had to work both............

my enthusiasm is some what damped.

You're forgetting Guy Fawkes Night.

Edited: 21/01/2012 at 09:17
21/01/2012 at 09:19
I was up in the Cheviot Hills for most of the week and looked across the wire fence into Scotland. Can't say I noticed much difference! Actually, I'd planned my trip to take advantage of the fact that the ground was frozen and there was little or no rain forecast. I just wanted to be able to walk across bogs without sinking in them, and for the rest of me to stay dry. It worked a treat... so as far as possible... watch for those little windows of opportunity in the weather forecast and leap in there with both feet!
21/01/2012 at 09:29

I always look forward to the contributions from those without midweek work restrictions to these conversations. They always make me feel so much better.

Right....as I do possess a TV Licence I need to go and fix my TV aerial.

21/01/2012 at 09:32
Kinley wrote (see)

Aye - been very poor quality.

You're forgetting Guy Fawkes Night.

i missed that , maybe i was so fed up with the weather i just slept through those two sunny days by mistake.
21/01/2012 at 09:41

I got out last saturday for the first proper walk in weeks, largely reassured by the positive MWIS forecast which was pretty much promising an inversion overload.

Turned out to be a claggy, smirry, dispiriting bog trot...but it was still good to get out. And I reckon it justifies some gear shopping this week.    

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."

21/01/2012 at 09:47

Just a glimmer of signal on MWIS and Met Office for cold settled conditions towards the end of the week.

I'm not putting the tent and down mats away.

21/01/2012 at 10:00
TOBLERONE wrote (see)

Anyone else up in Scottyland mugged off with this weather?

A lovely few mild dry weeks in November but once December arrived it brought wind and rain with it and it hasn't left apart from the odd break ( like last week for a day or so ) when it stops to catch it's breath to start again , ask those that were north of the border at New Year or who are at Glenridding at present ( the weather seems to have slipped south a bit , it is cold but not bad enough to cut you in half I suppose

21/01/2012 at 10:01

Don't lose hope. Strong signal for blocking to our E/NE, possibly sustained blocking. All upstream signals turning to green for a potent cold spell (trending dry) affecting us from the end of the month and into February, possibly well into february. The MetO 6-15 and 15-30 dayers highlight this quite well with the proviso that there is great uncertaintity.

It's about since november I've been made aware of that potential setup so I've planned accordingly (no wasted time off/money on soggy week-ends with February highlighted as the most likely month to offer proper winter conditions).

21/01/2012 at 17:55

Just looked back on my walking log - not many entries since November with the weather conditions noted as windy/rain/mist/drizzle.

21/01/2012 at 21:32

I do'nt log day walks.Then with my memory all the past ones are
good ones.Cheers.
21/01/2012 at 23:11
waldo wrote (see)
I do'nt log day walks.Then with my memory all the past ones are good ones.Cheers.

Saturday night. I'm half cut as well.

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."

22/01/2012 at 17:33
Yes, it's been rubbish for weeks on end!

I wish I could share Moonlight's optimism, but the Met Office is a bit more equivocal:

'The forecast for early February remains very uncertain. There appear to be two main scenarios, each equally probable.... The first scenario consists of a changeable westerly or southwesterly weather type with rain at times.......... The alternative scenario is that much colder weather with winds mainly from an easterly or northeasterly quarter, will prevail.'

I know which we'd all prefer - but NB the phrase 'each equally probable'
Edited: 22/01/2012 at 17:34
22/01/2012 at 18:50
I'll have a look and provide an update later. The Countryfile forecast will go some way to tell us where we're heading...
22/01/2012 at 20:31

Well, I did my little trawl around and whilst it's mayhem in the model outputs discussion boards I consult because the outputs are, shall we say, erratic all the medium range signals are rock solid in term of blocking: severly weakened Polar Vortex due to warming stratosphere, zonal wind anomaly at the upper levels reversing (which means an end to westerlies winds at our level), absolutely gigantic Russian HP pushing west...There are also informal tweets from MetOffice forecasters highlighting this too, the official website is obviously more cautious and rightly so. 

Cold and drier weather is on the way IMO. For how long, I can't say but I don't think it's going to be a blink and you miss it affair.

22/01/2012 at 20:34

Allak on standby.

I'll be very upset with you if you're wrong MS.

22/01/2012 at 21:02

Eeek...!

The coming week-end looks good, there is enough agreement on that. After is a right dog's dinner to spot a firm trend as per annoyed tweets from a meto guy just now. I'm just banking it all on those favourable elements described above.

1 to 20 of 79 messages