UK Spider Bite - anyone had one?

Why I'm up at 5am!

1 to 20 of 69 messages
13/02/2012 at 05:24

Spider lowers itself down in front of the PC monitor last night - I hold my finger out to catch it & it drops on the keyboard.  As I'm only using the mouse to browse the web(!) I leave it to sort itself out. 5 minutes later sharp sensation on elbow & I see it pinned between my elbow & table.  Think nothing more than it being the sensation of nearly crushing it & flick it off.   No harm done as 5 mins later I find it crawling up my other arm.

Woke up 30 mins ago with my arm throbbing & elbow swollen like a golf ball & 2 distinct red dots where the buggers bit me!  Just been googling & surprised how many UK spiders can bite humans.  I wonder if nows the time to take up climbing again?

NHM link

Edited: 13/02/2012 at 05:51
13/02/2012 at 08:56
Hi Rosswn
be careful your elbow does not get any worse as if it was on the tip of your elbow you have a small sack of fluid to prouect the joints,if this gets infected you will need Hospital treatment.
I got tiny red hot metal spit in mine and spent 4 days in hossy on two drips
keep ya eye on it.
13/02/2012 at 09:38

If you react badly to it it can cause quite severe allergic / inflammatory reactions - a mate of mine's wife was hospitalised for 10 days and nearly lost her arm after a simple spider bite.

On the plus side, the superpowers should develop in around 2 weeks - just need to go out and buy the red/blue lycra suit.

13/02/2012 at 10:19

So there is a justification for my 'nuke-'em' approach to dealing with arachnids?!

Ross, hope your arm's ok, take care.

Edited: 13/02/2012 at 10:19
13/02/2012 at 10:20

Thanks.

Off work today so popped into chemist as periton & anti inflammatory hadn't worked.  Pharmacist took one look & shouted for 2nd opinion & after some mild expletives went to docs next door & made me an immediate appointment.  Got antibiotics & got to go back in 48 hours for assessment with strict instructions to go back to docs or a&e if it gets worse.

Been flicking my wrists but no webs coming out but if my eyesight & hearings enhanced it will be a bonus

Trying to find the culprit - interested to know what type it is - lot of trouble for such a small thing

Edited: 13/02/2012 at 10:21
13/02/2012 at 13:28

"So there is a justification for my 'nuke-'em' approach to dealing with arachnids?!" noooooo! they are guardians of the "nuamence portals" to other dimensions without whose vigliance we would be overrrun with silverfish, woodlice and traffic wardens. and mushrooms...

oh. that doesn't sound overly wonderful ross. hope everything is OK.

13/02/2012 at 15:19
Best wishes Rosswm, that sounds quite nasty and now I am worried as my house is a spider haven...
13/02/2012 at 16:35

Once got bit by the tiniest spider you could imagine - picked it up off the mother in laws table to take it outside and it crawled under my watch. When I tried to undo the watch to get it out it must have felt threatened and bit me. For such a tiny little think it really b****y hurt. Thankfully I only got a bit of mild inflamation.

Make sure you get back tho the doctors Rosswm.

BTW I have a top notch spidey mask if youre interested. (Ok I  know its wearing thin now).

13/02/2012 at 16:57
Thanks everyone.  Well the swelling continued although the new swelling wasn't as red as the main bit so popped back down to docs as instructed.  Saw another GP who reckons it's Olecranon Bursitis & the spider bite may be a red herring or aggravating factor.  He dragged another GP in for a 2nd opinion who agrees.  If I hadn't mentioned the spider that's what they'd have diagnosed & the google images he showed me look spot on.  However because I reckon I've been bitten they are going to continue to monitor it just in case. 
13/02/2012 at 17:04
ALL spiders bite, but the time was, only a few years ago, you would have been told that no British spider was capable of puncturing human skin. However, that's no longer the case and there are a couple of species that have taken up residence in this country that can inflict a bite, though usually with little harm done. Seems they get in with banana shipments, or in container-loads from exotic climes. Many species perish quite quickly because of our weather, but some manage to survive, especially if they stay indoors.
13/02/2012 at 17:29
I know. what was I thinking!
13/02/2012 at 17:52

Thanks for that link Ross - I was getting my arachnophobia under better control recently - I think I've relapsed.

Student's Elbow eh? Too much time leaning on your elbows in the pub?

13/02/2012 at 18:09
I've been out backpacking a fair bit this year - as it's my left elbow maybe it's Akto Elbow! 
13/02/2012 at 20:00

I've seen one of the Goliath Bird Eating Spiders in S. Africa!

Jaysus they are huge!! One I saw was a least the size of a dinner plate and it's fangs are feckin crazy large!!

I don't know if it's still the same, but the Zulus used to catch them, cover with clay or mud and cook in a fire. Then eat, they belived it give them strength. To share one with them was a "great honour", I've tasted worse.from Ron Mc's.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

13/02/2012 at 20:16
Rosswm wrote (see)
Thanks everyone.  Well the swelling continued although the new swelling wasn't as red as the main bit so popped back down to docs as instructed.  Saw another GP who reckons it's Olecranon Bursitis & the spider bite may be a red herring or aggravating factor.  He dragged another GP in for a 2nd opinion who agrees.  If I hadn't mentioned the spider that's what they'd have diagnosed & the google images he showed me look spot on.  However because I reckon I've been bitten they are going to continue to monitor it just in case. 
yep thats what i said earlier and what i had....hurts like hell and watch for a temperature... cost me four days in hossy
13/02/2012 at 20:45

I've been bitten by spiders a number of times.Quite small ones too.  Dunno what they were -they live in my shed!

Never had a reaction (I don't much from clegs or midgies either - but my partner gets all lumpy)

13/02/2012 at 22:42

Only spider I've been bitten buy was a friend 'pet' Chileian Red Kneed Trantula.

It had escaped from it's 'home' and was hiding under chair, when I tried to pick it up it bit, it hurt but that was all. No swelling, etc.

The big problem with them is they can 'shoot' hair at you which gets into your skin, itchs like mad and can cause infection.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

13/02/2012 at 23:00
Feel like shit.  Swelling in one direction already past pen-marks doc made on my arm to mark the edge of the swelling this afternoon.  Hopefully the antibiotics will do their thing overnight
13/02/2012 at 23:15

If past pen marks by a lot, @ 3mm or more I'd seriously think about getting to A&E

Could be nothing, but doc's normally put pen marks on for the reason that if goes beyond is not good.

13/02/2012 at 23:38

yep sounds like antibiotics are not strong enough,i had a drip in for 4 days and also a drip with penacillin for 4 days and the arm more than doubled in size,like Husky says id get my arse to A&E.

When i went i was all dressed up for my brothers Christening but i never made it once A&E took one look and admitted me,i was on 7 pills 4 times a day for two weeks after they discharged me.

Dont let the swelling get to much past pen marks as it take bloody ages for it to come down even with meds..

1 to 20 of 69 messages