Why do they do that?

Headline prices excluding VAT

6 messages
22/07/2011 at 12:43

Rarely do you see companies serving the outdoors leisure market using headline prices excluding VAT but now Mapyx Quo is using this, imo, disreputable practice. It instantly makes me resistant to their "offers".

"Full GB Ordnance Survey Mapping with the Mapyx Monthly Subscription Service At £9.99 (ex-VAT) per month you get ALL the following maps of the
WHOLE of GB streamed to Mapyx Quo on YOUR desktop computer:"

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

22/07/2011 at 12:53

PC World Business do this because its to a business customer. Not saying its this case but perhaps they are targetting business or organisations with that advert /  price. Probably not, just a case of making it look cheaper to people less aware than you. £11.99 doesn't quite sound a good does it?

BTW it annoys me too.

AFAIK over in the USA prices are shown in all kinds of shops without sales tax which is local to each state (i.e. can be different). However the locals are used to this so are able to work it out quickly. In general with out VAT (sales tax) being 15% then 17.5% for many years it wasn't as easy so I guess it had to be inc. VAT or we'd have shopped elsewhere. Easier now its at 20% though.

22/07/2011 at 13:25

Remember being most miffed on first visit to Canada: had a dollar handy, picked up a 99c chocolate bar, and... "That's a dollar fourteen please". Eh?

What was worse was, having dug out the extra change, eating it revealed "North America" and "good quality mass market chocolate" is even more of a joke than it is in the UK.

Pete.

22/07/2011 at 13:46

mapyx are aiming at business customers by spamming on here? i've noticed that their tiles have increased in price considerably too and they are no longer the bargain they used to be - now ex VAT too - and consequently have lost their competetive edge somewhat.

it's bloody annoying. but on the other hand it means i'll save some money by not shopping with anyone who doesn't inculde vat in their price.

22/07/2011 at 14:03

Since the maps are streamed from their servers, you can't even install them on your HDD.

To be fair, you get access to mapping of the whole of the UK in different scales for only £99.99 a year...oops! I mean £120, give or take a penny or two.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy the handicapped and submariners. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

Edited: 22/07/2011 at 14:03
22/07/2011 at 15:15
Maybe they're aiming at the international market for OS maps...
Your say
email image
6 messages