Woodcraft

8 messages
07/11/2008 at 13:16

Have any Woodcraft Gurus out there read Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart,

This man makes Ray Mears look like a cub scout. My copy was printed in 1945.

American Wilderness of course.All his kit was home made , mostly on site.

07/11/2008 at 20:55
Here is the entry for Horace Kephart in my book The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Walking & Backpacking, 1991 (now out of print).

Kephart, Horace (1862-1932). American librarian and author of The Book of of Camping & Woodcraft, 2nd ed., 1909 which was later revised and expanded as Camping & Woodcraft; a Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness, 1917. These comprehensive manuals contain extremely detailed instructions on all aspects of surviving in the American wilderness, and cover such subjects as pack-carrying, fire-making and camp cooking, cabin-building, axemanship, navigation, path-finding, and trail-blazing etc. They were issued in this country, where conditions are entirely different, and some of the more popular British outdoor writers continued to extol is methods until the nineteen fifties. Kephart is rightly acknowledged as an early and influentail writer about wilderness travel and survival, with a sound knowledge of his subject, but his influence in Britain has not been beneficial.
07/11/2008 at 21:43

Hugh Westercott. Re Kephart.

Thanks for your info, I had a little bet with my self as to who would respond

first and I won. I have a copy in English and a German edition slightly 

different, great reading though.  What a life.

07/11/2008 at 21:45
Yes, know the book, love it and own a copy. Also Calvin Rutstrum is very good, along with a few other 'woodcraft' oldies! Back when it wasn't popularly called bushcraft even of course!
Edited: 07/11/2008 at 21:46
07/11/2008 at 21:48
Blimey, Hugh! I have a copy of your book someplace or other here, didn't realise that was you there, sorry matey!
07/11/2008 at 21:51
07/11/2008 at 21:57

Trevor Gamble Re Kephart.

Thanks for the response,I bought my copy in 1945 ,its been everywhere with me, I

still find it an excellent reference book re the old days and old ways. Woodcraft 

or Bushcraft I dont know, I always think Woodsman never Bushman thanks 

again anyway.

07/11/2008 at 22:09
Woodlore of course is the other popular subject title! Which Ray of the Mears of course used for his school's name.
Your say
email image
8 messages