Garmin eTrex h - using software for routes

Any tips ?

8 messages
01/03/2012 at 12:07

Hi,

I have a Garmin eTrex H and I have just bought a cable to connect it to my PC/Mac for transferring routes I map on the computer to the GPS. 

When I go for a 2 day trip camping and walking, I like to be flexible about the route I will take. So I intend to map say 4 or 5 different routes and transfer them to the GPS.

I've never done this before so if you have some tips about naming routes, naming waypoints or anything else I would be delighted to hear from you.

I thought I would use the Walkhighlands website for plotting the routes and then Easy GPS for transferring them to the GPS, because it's free. Only down side to this is heights are not transferred with the locations.Any other downsides you know of ?

01/03/2012 at 16:55
For Apple no idea. For PC use Mapsource if the cable is a serial. Else use basemap. Finding Garmin maps to use on these programs just google around they excist...
01/03/2012 at 21:15
Thanks Zuma, but it seems to be quite expensive £140 or so.
01/03/2012 at 23:25
Oké try here to find some luck

http://openmaps.eu/
02/03/2012 at 09:17

Thanks Zuma, however the United Kingdom is not covered yet by that site. I am happy to use the Walkhighlands website to plot my routes and transfer them to my GPS. Heights are not transferred which is a little inconvenient.

Ignoring map software for now, if you own an etrex H and you want to plot a route, I would be grateful to know what names you give to your routes andd what names to your waypoints so that it is not confusing to you when out walking. As you know the etrex h as limited name lengths and milited routes. I hope to find out from someone who uses the etrex what they do.

02/03/2012 at 10:08
The limited length of names is a common problem. I usually clean my GPS after each route and store all info on the compu with compreensive names. In when transfering to GPS I first make a copy of all and start renaming the stuff with short names. I just start with the most important part of a name and if more points with same name I number them at the end in preceding order.

Edited: 02/03/2012 at 10:10
02/03/2012 at 13:24

develop your own system for naming waypoints. the numbering should stay intact. e.g. ES1 for start of escape route, SUM1 for summit 1, XX for any to warn of potential danger.

always ensure that your next waypoint is also the CLOSEST e.g. ensure that waypoint B is the closest to waypoint A and that waypoint C isn't the closest or your gps will likely point to C as the next waypoint to go to - of particular note on a zig-zag A = top of cliff, B = path down cliff, C = sheer drop off cliff from point A. you may have to add extra waypoints or change their position to be sure

02/03/2012 at 15:19
Thanks for the tips Parky!
Your say
email image
8 messages