Go-Ape interview

1 to 20 of 48 messages
15/12/2011 at 00:43

Hi people.

I am new to outdoor activities as a career. Studied Music ast Uni but have always loved climbing, Cycling etc. 

Long story short I have and Interview with Go-Ape and wondered if anyone had any advice?

15/12/2011 at 00:48
Why not construct proper sentences and use capital letters appropriately and not randomly?
15/12/2011 at 00:55
SimonDawes wrote (see)
Why not construct proper sentences and use capital letters appropriately and not randomly?

I agree with the above advice.

Also, learn what you can about Go-Ape before the interview and be clear why they should hire you, lots of people love outdoor activities and there are many unemployed people, what can you bring to the employer that other people can't?

Good luck

15/12/2011 at 10:33

Ok thanks.

Well That was a brief statement I posted from my phone. I In no way asked you for an english lesson you smug prick. I was actually hoping on a wim that maybe someone had actually been interviewed by GoApe, but in reality I dought you even work in the outdoor industry! I refuse to be patronised by some idiot who probably works an office job and spends all his money on outdoor gear so he can brag  at the Christmas party.

as to the other post  thanks I have been researching them thoroughly and I'm really impressed.

thankyou for you kind comments

MoS
15/12/2011 at 11:18
Gibson123 wrote (see)

Ok thanks.

Well That was a brief statement I posted from my phone. I In no way asked you for an english lesson you smug prick. I was actually hoping on a wim that maybe someone had actually been interviewed by GoApe, but in reality I dought you even work in the outdoor industry! I refuse to be patronised by some idiot who probably works an office job and spends all his money on outdoor gear so he can brag  at the Christmas party.

as to the other post  thanks I have been researching them thoroughly and I'm really impressed.

thankyou for you kind comments

Congratulations on getting the interview - no mean feat these days.

Can't blame you for being a bit p!ssed off at the first reply....but I assume you'll be working with the public if you get this job...so.....don't you think your response was a bit ott?

Accept that you're going to meet all sorts and some may wind you up.  Probably best to try and respond with a bit of humour rather than 'react'.

Fine to tell someone you don't like the way they talk to you, good to be assertive. Maybe try a non- judgemental approach and avoid making assumptions about people if you're going to impress at the interview.

MoS
15/12/2011 at 11:29

ok.

If Ihave offended anyone I am sorry. In reading that comment,  you are right It was an over reaction. I just felt that it was a little personal and in no way helpfull.

Thankyou for the last two posts I will take what you have said and reflect. 

15/12/2011 at 11:30

Gibson123 wrote (see)

Ok thanks.

Well That was a brief statement I posted from my phone.

What's your excuse this time?

Grammar/spelling likely not to count against you however except in the event of a tie.  Your attitude will.

If you can't rise above being patronised or take criticism it may not be the career for you.

edit - post crossed with MoS.  That's better!

Edited: 15/12/2011 at 11:35
15/12/2011 at 13:32
Welcome to the forum Gibson, tis a fun and happy place
15/12/2011 at 17:08
>many prospective employers can and will search for you in places like here and Facebook

Great, he'll be able to point out he likes to 'GO-APE' at anyone that points out his remedial written English skills. Now, thats gotta be worth some interview points shirley!

Joking aside your somewhat offensive reply to a completely fair point made by SimonDawes makes me think that your going to find it hard getting/keeping a job.
15/12/2011 at 17:36

FWIW, I've seen things from the employers' side; I've been on a pre-interview selection team, sat on on interviews and also done a bit of interview and application coaching. A good standard of written English (and, of course, spoken English during interviews) is vital. So Simon's point is cock on given your garbled first post - it is a completely fair comment and your over-reaction was unwarranted

You ask if anyone has any advice. I have.

Firstly, take a long critical look at your skills in basic written English and be prepared to acknowledge deficiencies. Second, read a book on application and interview skills - there are lots for under a tenner - rather than ask a group of complete strangers on an internet forum. Third, learn how to stop your ire getting the better of you - if you bristle at criticism, implied or explicit, you have little chance of getting through any rigorous interview (in other words, stop being so thin-skinned and defensive). Fourth, polish and hone your CV (and, as others have said, ensure it doesn't conflict with or contradict anything on your social media pages).

Oh, BTW Bedderz - don't call me Shirley

Edited: 15/12/2011 at 17:38
15/12/2011 at 17:48
PS: A small point but the company calls itself Go Ape. There's no hyphen. I think as a minimum qualification they'd expect interview candidates to get their name right.
15/12/2011 at 19:26

Well I know from experience how annoying phones can be to use to post comments on a forum like OM. My use of English language is not perfect and I can see it is not perfect for many on here. This is a friendly forum for people interested in the outdoors not a forum on the English language, it's use and abuse. People post on here for advise all the time and often get helpful replies but IMHO not so here. I can understand why the OP replied in that OTT manner. Easy to snap.

Also since when has it been a pre-requisite to write your posts in perfect English on OM? I am sure that at some time or other the people who have posted above have used poor grammar, spelling or punctuation. Heck! The apostrophe catches most of us out at one time or another (perhaps an argument for it's fading from use like other punctuation marks).

Anyway Gibson, I have no advice for you other than don't rise so quickly. Perhaps your use of English is better when not using a phone to post, perhaps not. It is more about communication on this forum anyway and I'm sure everyone knows what you are asking for. I also doubt whether anyone from Go Ape will give a damn about your reaction to the first reply criticising your use of the language, nor about your use of language on an informal forum like OM. In fact I doubt if anyone involved in your interview will actually bother to read this post. Well done on your interview and good luck. I for one wish you luck and hope you get it. It is however hard to get a first step in the outdoors industry. I know people who have made that step. For them it took quite some time doing poorly paid trainee positions or they got into it through their outdoor experience doing the activity then luck in getting what is an unpleasent job dealing with the dregs of society. Either way your personality and ability counts for a lot and I doubt either of those have come out through this forum thread, nor could it.

Once again good luck.

15/12/2011 at 19:30
LL wrote (see)

The apostrophe catches most of us out at one time or another

I reckon my use of apo'strophe's is absolutely spot on!

15/12/2011 at 19:33
Paddy, my knowledge of that particular punctuation mark is insufficient to correct you. I bow to your greater knowledge as a professional writer.
15/12/2011 at 20:12
LL wrote (see)

Well I know from experience how annoying phones can be to use to post comments on a forum like OM. My use of English language is not perfect and I can see it is not perfect for many on here. This is a friendly forum for people interested in the outdoors not a forum on the English language, it's use and abuse. People post on here for advise all the time and often get helpful replies but IMHO not so here. I can understand why the OP replied in that OTT manner. Easy to snap.

Also since when has it been a pre-requisite to write your posts in perfect English on OM? I am sure that at some time or other the people who have posted above have used poor grammar, spelling or punctuation. Heck! The apostrophe catches most of us out at one time or another (perhaps an argument for it's fading from use like other punctuation marks).

Anyway Gibson, I have no advice for you other than don't rise so quickly. Perhaps your use of English is better when not using a phone to post, perhaps not. It is more about communication on this forum anyway and I'm sure everyone knows what you are asking for. I also doubt whether anyone from Go Ape will give a damn about your reaction to the first reply criticising your use of the language, nor about your use of language on an informal forum like OM. In fact I doubt if anyone involved in your interview will actually bother to read this post. Well done on your interview and good luck. I for one wish you luck and hope you get it. It is however hard to get a first step in the outdoors industry. I know people who have made that step. For them it took quite some time doing poorly paid trainee positions or they got into it through their outdoor experience doing the activity then luck in getting what is an unpleasent job dealing with the dregs of society. Either way your personality and ability counts for a lot and I doubt either of those have come out through this forum thread, nor could it.

Once again good luck.

tl;dr

Top tip, Gibson; keep it short and to the point

15/12/2011 at 20:31
Paddy Dillon wrote (see)

I reckon my use of apo'strophe's is absolutely spot on!

Ive got 100's of example's - its so easy to put them in the wrong place's or leave them out of the right one's

16/12/2011 at 06:31
Mike fae Dundee wrote (see)
* THE DIDSTER  * wrote (see)
Mike fae Dundee wrote (see)

All water resistant zips can leak under the right conditions.

a good jacket should have taped seems around the pocket,both mine do!
Not the best place for electrical goods etc as it like a bag with a goldfish in it ..

How do you use the pockets if they are taped shut?

Kev The Nasty Meanie wrote (see)
LL wrote (see)

Once again good luck.

tl;dr

Top tip, Gibson; keep it short and to the point

Dont follow me!!

beacuse i use GPS !!

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 06:31
16/12/2011 at 13:21

OK Kev, faair point. I'll put it shorter for you to understand.

Don't to bother getting advice on here about anything but gear or you'll just get grief. Grammar, spelling and punctuation hasn't been an issue before on this friendly site. I doubt Go Ape will be too bothered by thee OP's comments on this site.

19/12/2011 at 19:51

Cool, GOF criticized the OP's writing using poor grammar and spelling.  It appears that the exacting standards he demands from his employees and, apparently, anonymous posters on a forum, don't apply to himself.  I hope never to be a customer of yours, "I wouldn't enjoy the experience".

The thing is, it doesn't matter, because I got the point of his post, as I did with the OP's.  The main thing that came across from Gibson123 was a guy simply asking people for a bit of advice on getting a job.  What came across from GOF and SimonDawes' posts was a needlessly smug, snide and unhelpful attitude, written by, in GOF's case, a hypocrite.

This post likely won't change a thing, I just think it's sad and pathetic that an earnest and legitimate question gets dealt with in such a way.  That said, there are polite and level-headed responses (LL); why there would be otherwise is beyond me.
19/12/2011 at 22:35

GOF.  As I said, I don't think spelling and grammar matter in this context as long as you get the message across, I only mentioned your mistakes as I hate hypocrisy.  However, as per your request; you omitted apostrophes when spelling "wouldn't" and misspelled "height" as "hieght".  Again, I don't think it matters one tiny bit in the context of forum posts, but you did ask.

I agree with you in some ways though, the OP could have handled being patronized a bit better (though the fact that he was patronized at all is just sad, and the reason I was compelled to post), and my first post was a bit strong too, I apologise.  It just got under my skin that someone asked for some small bit of advice and got the response they did.

Many thanks for the welcome, that was indeed my first post, and this will be my last.
1 to 20 of 48 messages