How much does your pack weigh???

...containing everything for a 7-10 day journey

1 to 20 of 82 messages
02/07/2008 at 22:54

After a few different long distance walk ideas, I'm finally off to walk the Lleyn Peninsula, in Wales. My planned walk is around 100 miles, and I'm estimating I'll take around 10 days max...I'm taking my time.

I packed my backpack today with all my kit and food...and I think it's too heavy at 13kgs

I'm going to go through everything again tomorrow and cut some weight, but i'd like to hear how much your packs would weigh for a similar journey, camping all the way.

02/07/2008 at 22:59

13kg isn't heavy if it includes all your food for 10 days. 1kg a day?

02/07/2008 at 23:39
13kg for ten days camping including food - I wouldn't be repacking looking to lose any more weight - I'd be repacking looking for the hole in the bottom of my pack that had let half of my gear fall out. I'm no lightweight obsessive but I'd be overjoyed with the prospect of only carrying 13kg for a ten day trek and wouldn't be trying to get anything further out. If you can get it smaller and still have enough gear and food to be comfortable to a level that you can actually enjoy the walk rather than re-enact some incredible feat of survival then allow me to sit back and be quietly jealous.
03/07/2008 at 01:23

Oh I forgot to mention I probably have enough food for half the trip...I plan to buy more as i travel. Although there is a fair amount there...

I guess it's just as this is my first trip, and I didn't know what kind of weight to expect. I feel better about it after hearing your comments though, so cheers

Edited: 03/07/2008 at 01:28
03/07/2008 at 09:04

PART 1

Donny

One of the delights of backpacking is that you never stop learning! This is your first trip so you have no experience of what you need (which could be quite different from the requirements of others). When you get home, divide the contents of your pack into three groups. Those items that were essential, those that you could do without, and those items that you did not use.

The itinerary you have set yourself is very sensible unlike most novice backpackers who often set themselves an unrealistic schedule. Assuming reasonable fitness, 10 miles a day is a reasonable mileage which should make every day enjoyable; you won't exhaust yourself.

I'm not familiar with the Lleyn Peninsula but the map indicates that there are several campsites and small villages so obtaining water and buying food en route should not be a problem. I suspect that you don't need to carry so much food although if you are young you are likely to become ravenously hungry.

I'm knocking on a bit and still enjoy backpacking but I could not possibly handle a pack weighing 13 kg. Just out of interest, and to demonstrate just how light a pack can be, this would be my list of kit and equipment for the trip you are undertaking. It is  half the weight of your pack but I'm not recommending it to anyone - this is mine and it suits me (see PART 2).

03/07/2008 at 09:13

PART 2

Weight in grams
GoLite Breeze backpack with hip-belt                          670
Terra Nova Laser Competition tent                              1000
One-metre long cut down closed cell sleeping mat        120
Rab Quantum sleeping bag                                           690
Optimus cooking pot & lid (30 years old!)                        80
Pot holder                                                                     20
Tin opener                                                                     10
Half a nylon scouring pad                                                10
J-cloth used as tea towel                                                10
Pocket rocket stove                                                        85
Fuel                                                                             380
Pot cosy                                                                         24
Windahield                                                                     40

03/07/2008 at 09:17
http://www.thehut.com/hut/6926674.productAnyone got or read this book btw please? I was thinking of getting it perhaps. Is it a good book then?
03/07/2008 at 09:19

PART 3
Disposable cigarette lighter      20
Disposable plastic cutlery         15
Titanium mug                          55
1.5-litre supermarket coke bottle
modified as home-made hydration system  90
LED torch                                20

<><>FOOD
12 breakfast bars                   480
Chorizo                                   200
12 Ryvita Multigrain rice cakes      75
6 dehydrated meals (home-made in dehydrator)    350
Tea/powdered milk/Hermasetas     100
500 mils of water                         500

TOILETRIES ETC
Comprising comb, toothbrush, toothpaste in tiny tube,
multi-purpose concentrated soap in contact lens sample
bottle, roll of sticking plaster, Wet Ones to serve as
more efficient toilet tissue, 2 J-cloths for flannel and towel     150

CLOTHES & WATERPROOFS CARRIED IN PACK
GoLite waterproof jacket           270
Berghaus PacLite o/trousers       220
Nylon tights for sleepwear  40
1 pair of Capilene liner socks      25

1 pair of Capilene briefs          45   
1 long-sleeved Capilene top     150
3 Explorer maps (covers removed)     630
Sony radio                                45

TOTAL WEIGHT CARRIED          6.684 KILOS
                                                (14.75 lbs)    
03/07/2008 at 09:23

PART 4

CLOTHES WORN DURING THE DAY
Patagonia Capilene long-sleeved top 150
Patagonia Capilene briefs 45
Shorts & belt 320
Smartwool sweater 200
SeelSkinz Merino waterproof socks 95
Capilene liner socks 25
Lightweight boots 1000
Trekking poles 580
Silva Type 26 compass (doubles as a mirror) 40
Plastic wallet, credit cards & paper money 22
Coins 60
Multifunction watch 55

<>
<>Apologies for the way tis thread is split - apparently OM does not like lists.

Good luck, Donny - and let us know how you get on!

Edited: 03/07/2008 at 09:24
03/07/2008 at 09:43
I see you're still wearing the nylon tights Hugh?!
03/07/2008 at 11:07
Thanks Hugh. Very helpful post/s there. I will go through my items again, and then I'll make a list of my weights, and see what i come up with.
03/07/2008 at 11:54

Hugh

I do admire a man who weighs his money

03/07/2008 at 11:54

hello Hugh,

You have 1200 gram of food. If I assume 4 Calories per gram you have 4800 Calories. That would last me only 3 days (without the first breakfast and last evening meal.) It looks like you were estimating 6 days. Do you just eat much less than me and if so do you expect to loose weight, or have I got someting wrong.

03/07/2008 at 12:22

Derek

I am now worried cause 4800 calories would only last me 1 day when walking. Am I greedy? Seriously, what is the daily calorie count for a backpacker carrying a 13kg pack? I do a 8-10 mile days walk and reckon including breakfast, lunch, snacks, evening meal and evening munchies I would eat about 5000 calories. Seriously, I need to know as I am doing a slightly longer walk around the Lakes for a similar length of time, staying high for most of the time. Thinking of hitting some pubs on the way to eat and save weight. Will need to take breakfast, lunch and snack food for at most 5 days at a time, with at least 2 or 3 evening meals (consisting of a double pack of dehydrated food or similar quantities of suppermarket dried food).

Donny

I did a two day Lairig Ghru and found my pack was 15kg before food and water!! An earlier 2 dayer over easter in the snowy weather found in the Lakes was about 14kg with food but no water.

I did an overnighter with just breakfast and enough water for a few brews and it was 9kg. this was just a late evening walk up the hill out of sight of the road after having dinner in Keswick. Kind of a very cheap b&b in the hills as I was passsing through in order to get an early start to where I was meeting people.

9kg is the lightest I have ever got my gear and that was due to very little in the way of food.

With my trip I will be doing a halfway food parcel and eating in pubs before heading back to camp high.

Enjoy yourself!

03/07/2008 at 12:25
Perhaps the plan is to supplement the rations carried, with foods obtained along the way from locally available sources; and not to just pack in everything one needs for sustenance complete for the whole trip there.
Edited: 03/07/2008 at 12:27
03/07/2008 at 12:40

Ok here goes...

Part 1

(in grams)
1100 - Backpack
1900 - Vango Banshee 200 Tent.
500 - Alpkit Wee Airic sleeping mat
1200 - Karrimor Sleeping bag
75 - tent & sleeping bag repair kits
875 - Waterproof jacket & trousers
160 - Billy Can
75 - Small pan
175 - Bleuet Micro Stove
375 - Gas bottle
35 - small scissors/plastic mirror/mini led torch/whistle
50 - Foam sitting mat
350 - Towel
140 - Hydration pack
190 - Camera
110 - LED head lamp + batteries
75 - Gadget - knife/fork/spoon/can opener/bottle opener
300 - 2 Handkerchiefs/showergel/detergent/plasters/parecetamol/antiseptic wipes/spare batteries for headlamp & camera
300 - Tea/coffee/whitener/sugar

Edited: 03/07/2008 at 12:52
03/07/2008 at 12:43

Part 2

300 - 2 pairs underwear+2 pairs socks
300 - 2 T-shirts
120 - Swimshorts
100 - sun glasses
550 - fleece (also my pillow)
80 - wooly hat

200 - 4 mini breakfast cereal boxes
200 - instant mash
50 - 2 soups
275 - 4 packs flavoured noodles
225 - 2 packs flavoured cous cous
400 - trail mix
200 - biscuits
100 - 1ltr water

11085g / 11.09kg

wearing
130 - underwear & socks
320 - 3 in 1 - trousers/3 quarter lengths/shorts
160 - T-shirt
1100 - Karrimor Hiking trainers
75 - baseball style cap

I might well me wearing the fleece & sunglasses, that i've counted as packed. 

I could lose some of the food, but i'm 13 stone and eat like crazy & I think that more time spent outside and less time in the shops the better.

Oh I forgot toothbrush & toothpaste..40-50g?

Edited: 03/07/2008 at 13:26
03/07/2008 at 13:37
PaulB wrote (see)

Derek

I am now worried cause 4800 calories would only last me 1 day when walking. Am I greedy? Seriously, what is the daily calorie count for a backpacker carrying a 13kg pack? I do a 8-10 mile days walk and reckon including breakfast, lunch, snacks, evening meal and evening munchies I would eat about 5000 calories. Seriously, I need to know as I am doing a slightly longer walk around the Lakes for a similar length of time, staying high for most of the time. Thinking of hitting some pubs on the way to eat and save weight. Will need to take breakfast, lunch and snack food for at most 5 days at a time, with at least 2 or 3 evening meals (consisting of a double pack of dehydrated food or similar quantities of suppermarket dried food).

Paul, I dont know about you. I am 10.5 stone. I went for 4 days without resupply across Scotland, Torridon to Beauly along a ridge, camping .  Some long days one of 13 hours, backpack about 13kg at the start. I carried 2400 calories per day in dry food. Then Fish and chips in Beauly, when I got home I had put on weight.
03/07/2008 at 14:03

hi donny,  not sure if you made a typo, but a litre of water will weight 1000g, not 100g... might change your totals a bit...  SORRY!

03/07/2008 at 14:16
Peter Masson wrote (see)

hi donny,  not sure if you made a typo, but a litre of water will weight 1000g, not 100g... might change your totals a bit...  SORRY!

oops yeah typo. So the total is about 12 kilos then, maybe 13 after i've added suncream, and other junk.
1 to 20 of 82 messages