Lightweight pot

what's yours?

20 messages
26/01/2012 at 13:33

Hi,

I'm looking for a lightweight pot. The one i like is the Evernew 0.9litre titanium pan, but it costs £46 posted. I'm looking for something similar, but cheaper.

Do you know of a pan (about 1litre) (not a deep narrow pot) that weighs around 150g ?

It must have a lid and include handles or use separate ones.

I was looking at the triangia 1.2 litre and 1 litre UL aluminium pots yesterday in Costwold's. They seem  very light, only thing, is it possible to buy a lightweight lid for either of them ?

Further, the handle you can buy is the trangia one with bits drilled out , I prefer the handle that comes with the Trangia solo set (it's a thin aluminium sheet bent that works like tweezers), but i don't think it can be bought separately.

26/01/2012 at 14:26

Alastair... I have one of those 'tweezer' type pot grabs that I'd be prepared to sell. Check your message inbox.

edh
26/01/2012 at 15:10

I've had an Evernew 900 wide for about 10(?) years; it's a great pot - it'll easily see me out.

So I see it as a 'good' investment - that said I did buy it in the US - ergo less costly than here.

edh
26/01/2012 at 15:35

Hi

Ultralight outdoor gear have the tibetan titanium 900 pot 130g on clearence offer for £29.99 delivered [free second class post], I have heard that they are a bit thin, but if its light weight you want it may be worth a look

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/tibetan_titanium_900_mug_pot.html

Regards

Stu

26/01/2012 at 15:40
Got some nice homegrown skunk at the moment. It works out a lot lighter than the squidgy black I used to smoke as a kid....
26/01/2012 at 16:16

I got a AGG 3 cup pot. It weighs 96g with a solid lid but published weight is 106g. Need a potlifter. IIRC the MSR one is light but pricey. Ellis Brigham do a silicone thumb and two finger pot grip with a magnet to stick to a gas can so it is handy. That is light and cheapish I think.

The mini trangia pot grabber can get stuck in the rolled lip of some pots. However, I think you can get hold of it somewhere but can't remember where. Failing that I think there are mini trangia clones around costing £10!! Hi-gear or similar makes IIRC. Got mine for that, it only weighed 300g and seemed better made too.

26/01/2012 at 18:00
I've had a 900ml Tibetan pot for a few years now and it seems quite strong enough to me. Had some good bashes and a lot of use and shows little or no sign of it.
26/01/2012 at 18:07
AGG 3-cup, same as TP.  I have an old grab pot grip from Optimus that only weighs 20g.  
27/01/2012 at 16:21
MSR Flex?
27/01/2012 at 16:57

Some good ideas here, thanks !

tibetan titanium 900 pot 130g - good price I agree, but I think it's more like a potthan a pan (narrower neck) - i could be wrong?

AGG 3cup - I think this is only 700g and againis more pot like than pan so not so easy for stiring. Do you know of anywhere in the UK that sells them at a good price ?

MSR Flex - I only want one pan, these seem to come in sets of 3 or 4. If singles can be bought do you know the weight and cost?

Thank you!

27/01/2012 at 17:03

Winwood outdoors used to sell them. On their own and as part of a cookset consisting of AGG's can stove with primer pan stuck on, plastic tub to keep it intact, meths bottle with flip top spout, 3 cup pot with insulated caddy and a neoprene zip cover for it all. Ooh! It has a teatowel with a section of the triple crown trails (half od AT for example) on it and a potgrip too. That is a bit heavy as a kit though if you take it all.

They also do a much larger pot in the same style.

Looked at Evernew at BPL-UK??

27/01/2012 at 19:02
The AGG 3 cup pan is defo a pan - imo.
27/01/2012 at 22:19
No , I haven't looked at Evernew on BPL-UK. Is it a review ? Worthwhile?
When does a pot become a pan ? Perhaps when the diameter is > the height?
27/01/2012 at 23:09
I have a Primus ETA Express with it's own pot and frying pan type lid.  I also have an Alpkit Mytimug.
27/01/2012 at 23:38

Pot to pan?

Depends on how big of a pan you want. Full English, Irish, you need a biiiiig pan. Egg,  couple of slices of bacon, couple of sausages, small lid type pan will do.

Depends on type of camping/cooking too. Car camping, weight doesn't matter much, double burners, large 'Calor' type gas Bottles, etc.

Wild camping, weight does matter, so you will want to be carrying food that's as easy to cook, as light weight, to cook as possible. Getting oil out of mtns means having to bring it back out with you. Your NOT going to pour it on to ground, are you?

BTW, latest combi. Tibetian '900' Ti Mug & lid, Crux stove, 120g or 230g gas can. All fits in to Mug, with space to spare for food, more with 120g, less space in ruck.

Paul.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS.

Walk, climb, camp. Just get out there

28/01/2012 at 17:12
Thanks for all your ideas, this is turning out to me an interesting thread.
Simon, how do you like the MyTiMug?
By pan, I mean wider pot, not the tallish narrow pots you can get.
Wider diameter means easier stirring and also more stable on my f1 stove.
28/01/2012 at 17:57

I used AGG 3 cup pans (have 2 for some reason - one is woodburner use only) for a few years then tried a mug type pan (Alpkit - Mytimug) - really couldn't get on with the narrowness. Sold it and went back to the AGG.

I now generally use an MSR Titan Kettle.   (F&T £30 in the sale - keep an eye out )

Possibly of interest is that the AGG 3 cup pan nests perfectly inside an Evernew 900ml pan (OM classifeids), and the AGG lid fits the latter very well (but not vice versa). Hoping to make a cone clone which takes both for a 2 person setup.

28/01/2012 at 19:08
Mr Sworld wrote (see)
Got some nice homegrown skunk at the moment. It works out a lot lighter than the squidgy black I used to smoke as a kid....

do you find it works out lighter per usage, as I believe some nice squidgy black can go a long way.

also if you only have day pack wouldn't the skunk use up all the space?

30/01/2012 at 12:02
Winwood Outdoors will have lightweight pots (inc. AGG) back in stock end of March/Early April, but check nearer the time to be sure.
30/01/2012 at 13:09

I have AGG 3 cup and vargo ti-lite (myti mug is kind of a copy). I use both pots according to my needs on each trip.

If I take my wide burning WBS I have to take my wide and low AGG 3cup pot.

If I take my primus micron (old style) I take my Vargo Ti-ite as it matches the flame well and I can use as pot and cup as I only use dehydrated meals when backpacking.

The 3 cup pot I always have to take another cup to drink from. This is usually either a light plastic mug or a Ti mug (alpkit myti cup). This adds to my measured 96g for the 3 cup pot and lid. I also have to take my mini trangia clone potgrip (bent metal strip) as well.

These two systems, including stove, pot (and grip if needed) and cup for drinking (if needed) both come to about the same total weight. But this is further complicated when I take a separate mug with my Vargo/gas stove system which is now heavier by the cup weight.

I really have no preferences as to which system I use other than I am more used to gas in colder weather and always have problems with meths (I know I should just heat the meths and burner first perhaps using a primer plate or attached primer wick). The gas system is kind of my go to if conditions might go cold or windy as I have more experience and trust in it.

As far as performance goes I personally thing the AGG 3 cup (being Al) is better for a quicker boil using a gas stove however with meths it is slower due to the meths being slower stove not the conductivity. I would not be that bothered by boiling time with either system as quite fast enough for my needs.

Interesting thread this but it will be decision time soon. You sound like it is the low and wide pots you prefer. If so then the AGG is acceptable. Bear in mind it is so light by being thinner Al I think. Look after it and it's ok but it can dent easy. The lid is solid though. Perhaps save weight with homemade foil lid??? I do like my Vargo Ti-lite though. Use it on woodburner, meths, gas and esbit stove. The AGG is really only my whitebox stove use or occasionally gas. For me it is how the whole system fits efficiently in my pack too. That is why the vargo is slightly my preferred pot/system. Do look at your whole system not just the pot.

Your say
email image
20 messages