wild camping

1 to 20 of 36 messages
17/05/2011 at 18:54
Hi all !
Me and some friends are hiring a camper and two tents and are heading off for the long weekend at the end of may (it's getting close!). We are hoping to wild camp in a different place every night, and we are looking specifically at the dorset, bristol and snowdonia areas. If anyone could help with directions (GPS coordinates would be FANTASTIC!) to wild camping spots, I would appreciate the help! I have done a lot of wild camping in Australia and know the unwritten rules inside out, but this will be my first time in the UK, and I am looking forward to a bit of exploring outside of London.

Thanks!
Will.
17/05/2011 at 18:58
Er, Bristol isn't normally thought of as a wildcamping area. Any reason why you're considering it?
17/05/2011 at 19:02
no reason in particular, none of us know it at all, it's just a region that we would be interested in visiting.. have you got a better suggestion that we could consider?
17/05/2011 at 20:38

hello i was also interested in wild camping in the goyt valley me and a mate thought we would like to get in to it so we can take our boys in a couple of years, so with us being new we could do with some pointers maybe spots, i have read up about the unritten code leave it as you found it, any help would be good thanks

edh
17/05/2011 at 20:56
Find a flattish spot and put your tent up.
edh
17/05/2011 at 23:27
The Mendips are close to Bristol, why not go caving instead?
18/05/2011 at 06:44
Will

I'm not clear about this!

Are you using the camper van just for transport, and then heading off to walk with your two tents to explore the countryside, and then camp wild? Or are you planning to sleep in the van with your tents nearby?

I used to own a camper van and would often drive down a minor road and find a spot where I could pull off the road onto a grass verge and then sleep in the van. Several times I've slept in a car park, or even on a quiet suburban road BUT, and it's a big but, I was always alone and was able to be absolutely silent. Note that in some national parks, there is a bye-law forbidding sleeping overnight in vehicles in laybys.

The only place in Britain where wild camping is actually legal is Dartmoor, but it is tolerated in many upland areas.

Lowland areas are cultivated and if you camp wild without the permission of the landholder, you are trespassing which, whist not normally a criminal offence, is a civil wrong, and landholders can insist that you vacate their land immediately.

Wild camping in lowland countryside has to be done stealthily and, if done at all, is much better done alone. No noise, no conversation (you might be surprised at how far voices can carry at night). It also involves pitching your tent late at night and leaving at first light.

I frequently camp wild in lowland countryside but I would never reveal a location I've used because that might have the effect of popularizing a pitch to the detriment of the landholder.

What I'm trying t say, as a confirmed wild camper, and as politely as possible is, don't attempt it! Wild camping without seeking permission from the landholder is essentially a solitary and secret pursuit.

Hugh
18/05/2011 at 06:47
Hugh Westacott wrote (see)

The only place in Britain where wild camping is actually legal is Dartmoor, but it is tolerated in many upland areas.

Who needs a referendum? Hugh has granted independence to Scotland!

18/05/2011 at 07:38

Hugh must have been hanging around too long with Americans to have slipped up with the old Britain=England thing!

Here's my all-time favourite audio-visual explanation of the difference between England, Britain, the United Kingdom and pretty much everything else that gets in a muddle!

Amazingly, the guy who's untangled the whole mess is an American.

Edited: 18/05/2011 at 07:42
18/05/2011 at 08:23
I stand corrected! I should have written 'England and Wales' or 'Dartmoor and Scotland'.

Many apologies for my slip but then, I'm just a pathetic Sassenach.

Sláinte

Hugh
18/05/2011 at 13:05

Good response Hugh, just remember that where I come from Sasunnach includes the vast majority of the population of Glasgow, Edinburgh and indeed Scotland  

18/05/2011 at 13:23

i thought you ere just keeping to the points in hand hugh as bristol isn't very close to scotland.

but on the subject of wild camping in the south...what hugh said. stealth is the key and nowhere near "civilisation". dog walkers get up very early.

18/05/2011 at 13:24
Paddy, that video's excellent! Now, he just needs to put it to music a la Tom Lehrer!
18/05/2011 at 13:45

I dunno... I rather like the low-key 'Rule Britannia'... giving the whole thing a flavour of past grandeur and pomposity.

He makes a good point about the country actually being a Theocracy, with power devolved to the Crown through God "not wanting to be bothered by micro-management"

Seeing all those tiny territories around the world leads me to think that the sun still doesn't set on the Empire!

18/05/2011 at 14:31
teuchter wrote

<...just remember that where I come from Sasunnach includes the vast majority of the population of Glasgow, Edinburgh and indeed Scotland.>

This may account for the appalling behaviour of some Glaswegian football fans.

Hugh
18/05/2011 at 17:10

Paddy, that was an interesting video, Maybe they should show it to the French because they REALLY don't get the Crown Dependencies relationship with the UK. 

Basically we just share a monarch with the British, we had some French twit come over here once saying they were going to make us all EU citizens so we told them to feck off.

I am not an EU citizen, although my kids are (because I married a Scot) although I am British.  I have an extra stamp in my passport stating that I do not have the right of settlement in the EU, although I am allowed to settle in the UK, it's all very confusing at times.

Steve D

Not all those who wander are lost.

18/05/2011 at 17:58
Steve_D wrote (see)
Basically we just share a monarch with the British.

Ah yes... that'll be the Duke of Normandy!

Steve_D wrote (see)
I am not an EU citizen, although my kids are (because I married a Scot) although I am British.  I have an extra stamp in my passport stating that I do not have the right of settlement in the EU, although I am allowed to settle in the UK, it's all very confusing at times.

How did the Reciprocal Health Agreement turn out in the end? I followed the debate up until the point that my guidebooks to Guernsey and Jersey went to print, but after that point, if the agreement was re-instated, I'd have to wait until a reprint was due to be able to include a note.

18/05/2011 at 18:18

Good link Paddy.

I don't believe the Queen is the head of the kirk though.

18/05/2011 at 18:19

can any one help with some proper pointers other than find some where flatt!!!!

was thinking goyt valley so if any one who does actually wild camp help me with info on the area and proper comment about things i need to think about for wild camping, i am doing this as i want to be able to take my son in to the great wilds of this country we live in..

18/05/2011 at 18:29
Goyt valley Town Hall in Stockport is a very very fine building, do have a look inside if you get the chance !! -But wild camping ?? That whole of that part of the world is fairly well inhabited, -not that wild, -at least not by my standards.
1 to 20 of 36 messages