Banana Guard

I'm flumoxed...

1 to 20 of 44 messages
12/11/2004 at 14:03
What do you know. According to OM's news pages someone's importing the Banana Guard into the UK. I'm very disappoinrted as I'd seen these things in Vancouver after my PCT hike and was hoping to leave tgo and make my millions by importing them and flogging them myself!

Bought a couple while I was there and presented a big pink one to my mate Robert in Giggleswick who initially asked where the batteries went (calm down ladies!).

I've used mine to bring lunch to the tgo office for the last few weeks (can't afford more than a 'nana on these wages) and gotta say it's simple and it works (and it's light weight, just in case you were wondering).

I reckon it's make a grand stocking filler (with or without batteries).
12/11/2004 at 14:07
Yikes...!

I thought it was something else for a moment!

Best stop there eh?
12/11/2004 at 14:32
"The BananaGuard currently comes in 9 colours, available online:
Ravishing Red
Outrageous Orange
Mellow Yellow
Sublime Green
Skyhigh Blue
Brilliant Blue
Passionate Purple
Pretty in Pink
Glow in the Dark "

Don't they sell them in Ann Summers' shops??
12/11/2004 at 14:33
Hey - I sent in a review and photos of this a couple of weeks back! Top product - my admiration to anyone willing to carry one through customs / baggage check though. To anyone thinking "but how can it fit ALL bananas", I'd say it'll be OK for all but the very biggest. Straighter ones fit into the "long" part without too much bending and curvy ones fit the - well - curvy end. The plastic hinges and clips might be a bit of an issue as I worry about their longevity. Now then - I wonder if the patent covers a titanium version. . . . .
12/11/2004 at 14:37
Would go well with the sigg lunchbox and could be used to fend of attacks by otters and platipi.
12/11/2004 at 14:45
Colin, I like the idea of a titanium one but I wonder whether it'd cost more than a lifetime's supply of replacement bananas?
Could I have mine engraved with my name and address like my iPod?
Actually having stored all 4000 of my PCT pics on my iPod, I wonder if I could store my bananas on there along with the rest of my lunch?
12/11/2004 at 14:49
John,

"(can't afford more than a 'nana on these wages)" then " I wonder if I could store my bananas on there along with the rest of my lunch?"........hmmmmm not thinking of moving to Trail are you????? ;-)
12/11/2004 at 15:37
Dave,

I'd love to move to Trail. Living in glorious Peterborough, using words like "fantastic" all the time, and never having to write anything longer than 200 words again... a dream job. Fantastic! (with apologies to our fab pals at Trail)

Actually a number of fantastic folks have commented that they've been confused by the super similarity of the fab names of myself and the editor of Country Walking. Many years ago I did have a few smashing interviews for that job but someone else (not a John or a Jonathan Manning) got the fantabulous job. Still, I'd like to wonderfully re-emphasise the fact that I HAVEN'T moved to stonking Peterborough.

Fantaplantastic!
12/11/2004 at 15:58
Shades of Smashy and Nicey here!
12/11/2004 at 18:18
I've got one!

Has caused great hilarity at work - it's an unfortunate dark pink colour. One lady asked me where the "on" switch was - she thought it might be a radio!

(On a less entertaining note, it really is good for keeping you 'nana in pristine condition).
12/11/2004 at 18:23
Has anyone got a "glow in the dark" one? I rather like the idea of scaring the wits out of people when I'm walking home at night...
12/11/2004 at 18:29
The horrifying news is that there IS a glow-in-the-dark version - Mrs C has seen one for sale on ebay....
12/11/2004 at 18:33
Aha! I can see the headline in my local paper already "Ghostly banana seen on Hebden Bridge cycle track"
12/11/2004 at 20:05
If you have a bunch of bananas, say five or six, you're looking at 20 quid to keep them all happy...

Colin, I'm really sorry, I meant to add them to the review system and I'll get it done just as soon as I've been out to buy some fantastic new bananas, know the fruit section of Tesco better than anyone, ten fantastic new fruits to brighten your hillwalking day, conquer the cash register...

Oops, where was I, for a moment I thought it was Peterboghorror. Phew, woke up just in time.

OutdoorsMagic Editor | jon@outdoorsmagic.com 

12/11/2004 at 20:47
Jon you have no chance of being employed in Peterborough.

You should of course have simply published an a4 size photo of a plum with a jaunty headline "Soft! And Juicy! <rubber-stamp: TRAIL EATS> and a few lines of text, viz. "Plums! What could be better than finding one in your hip-belt pocket as you thrust deep into the Nant Frankon (mid-Wales)"
12/11/2004 at 23:25
I HAVE the Glow-in-the-dark one!! And a right treat it is too. Charge it up and carry it across the campsite at dark to see if you get any offers!
13/11/2004 at 07:25
YES! We have glow bannanas!
We have glow bannanas today!
13/11/2004 at 13:16
<groan!!!>
13/11/2004 at 13:29
Sorry ;-)
13/11/2004 at 14:26
I take other soft fruit with me. Any chance of a protector for say, a couple of plums?

<I know. BAD Evil Darren>
1 to 20 of 44 messages